Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

IBD post-mortem question

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Marianne Parker, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Marianne Parker

Marianne Parker PetForums Newbie

Hello,

Sadly, I lost my deeply beloved 10yo Catahoula mix, Bruiser, to complications from suspected IBD and confirmed PLE two weeks ago. I’m curious about something that he went through close to the end. The backstory: he had his first PLE when he was 6yo, and at that point, only one of the many vets we saw while trying to figure out that mystery mentioned IBD, and nobody effectively made us aware of the poor prognosis of PLE dogs. We managed it with diet, and maybe a round or two of flagyl. Anyway, he lived very healthily for another three years before having his second (and unfortunately, final) flare-up. That was in February, and we had begun steroid treatment because he was not eating and had diarrhea. He improved initially, then slowly became refractory to steroids and other immunosuppressants and antibiotics. His last few days, he began having diarrhea that had a nauseatingly foul odor, and a bright brown color. His last night with us, he had just come out of the hospital because he defecated himself while lying down and we were so worried. That night, he wanted only to drink water (we had to bring it to him), and would almost instantaneously have liquid diarrhea, with that nauseating smell. I can handle any poop smell from this boy - this was something I’d never experienced. His final bloodwork also showed that his white blood cell count was extremely high. I’m wondering: was this more likely a) an infection that he was too sick to fight off, b) inflammation gone awry, or c) some sloughing off of intestinal lining that indicated that his body had started shutting down? Sorry for the graphic nature of this post - I think part of how I handle grief is to try to make sense of what happened. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice