Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

IBD and Slippery Elm

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by DrummerCat, Nov 8, 2020.

1. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

I just wonder if Drummer has a touch of arthritis, as he keeps getting his claws caught? Marni would get his claws caught when he got older due to arthritis as he no longer wore them down as well. Clipping his claws will help that’s certainly how we managed with Marni. The good news is the steroids will also help reduce pain and discomfort if he does have arthritis.

TriTri likes this.
  2. Douglas’ Dad

Douglas’ Dad PetForums Senior

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  3. DrummerCat

DrummerCat PetForums Newbie

Hello to you all.
    Thank you so very much for all the support and help you've given to Drummer and me this last week. I wanted to give a quick update.

We have received some turkey food (Mac's) from Zooplus which, thankfully, Drummer loves and is getting on well with. Whilst we aren't out of the woods with him yet, this has made a big difference to him and I can tell that he is in less pain than he was before. I think the medication from the vet is also helping and taking him back up onto 2x preds a day has given him a boost too. We know this can't be long term, but we need to get weight onto him and this seems to be the best way for now.
    I am going to speak to the vet on Monday with an update. I think Drummer may need to go back onto Vitamin B12 injections. I feel that he's probably not managing to absorb the B12 tablet that he has. The last time he dropped a lot of weight, the B12 really helped so it's worth a try moving back to injections to give him a chance.

The Complivit is amazing and Drummer loves it! Thank you for the suggestion.

Drummer is walking easier too and a lot less unsteady when going from lying down to standing up. He comes for regular snuggles (we have to lift him onto knees) and is definitely feeling more himself. He is also cleaning himself - Yay! ( he had stopped doing this - food all over his face, and he hates being wiped!)

We can still see his intestines rippling under his skin. It's like there are kittens in there. This isn't new, we've seen it for the last year or so. It makes me wonder if he also suffers with trapped wind or something. I know that can be painful. I'll discuss that with our vet too in case there's the equivalent of deflatine for cats that we can try.

I've purchased some claw clippers, but at the moment I haven't used them. I don't want to stress him further and for him to struggle and pull another muscle or twist another leg... As soon as he's picked up more and gained a bit of weight I shall tackle this (one claw at a time!).

Regarding the arthritis, it wouldn't surprise me. He's never been healthy, even at the age of 1 when we adopted him he had challenges (he was already losing his sight). I not positive that he doesn't have lymphoma. Preds are one of the things that this is treated with. When he had all the tests at the Pride hospital (Derby) we discussed with the vet there about possibly trying some chemotherapy drugs if Drummer went downhill and I think perhaps I may call the vet there and have another chat about what she thinks.

I thank you all, again, for everything, I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this amazing forum. I'll let you know how we get on. @chillminx @Douglas’ Dad @lillytheunicorn @TriTri

Jx

TriTri, Douglas’ Dad and chillminx like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DrummerCat - thank you for the update. I am very pleased to hear that Drummer is feeling better and eating more. Complivit is useful for a cat with an impaired appetite, so it is good that he likes it. x

Is it the Macs Mono Sensitive Turkey he is having ? It is worth mentioning it contains a small amount of Milk Thistle oil which is an effective liver cleanser. While some cats are fine with Milk Thistle, it can cause loose stools in others (including one of my own cats while he was eating this food).

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/macs/cans/680988

If he does suffer with trapped wind as you think he may, it is best to address the problem with diet rather than drugs. Though an antacid such as Famotidine may help - as mentioned earlier I give my IBD cat 5 mg a day of Famotidine for several weeks at a time for reducing excess gastric acid.

Note, that foods and supplements containing pre-biotics can cause flatulence in some cats. (I believe Complivit may contain a pre-biotic if my memory is correct).

Looking forward to more updates on Drummer's progress :)

TriTri likes this.
  5. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Complivit does contain prebiotic a but from memory it’s beta glucans rather than a fibre based prebiotic. Certainly it doesn’t give Bea an upset stomach whereas Maxidigest gives her instant diarrhoea.

I am pleased he is so much brighter.

I am sure the vet nurses will clip his claws for you, if you do take him back.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  6. Douglas’ Dad

Really pleased he is feeling a bit better and well done you too for giving that little boy the love and support he needs. It’s not easy especially when they get poorly and can’t tell us what’s wrong. Time and again I’ve seen on these threads turkey being recommended and time and again it seems to do the job. There must be something in that.

TriTri likes this.
  7. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Wonderful news! I too highly recommend a turkey based diet. Do update us, won’t you?

8. DrummerCat

DrummerCat PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your support. I have learnt a lot about this horrible disease through you all on this forum.

Sadly, Drummer died this morning. He had lost a lot of weight and, despite the vets best help, he had a sever bout of diarrohea around 4am this morning and it was too much for his frail body. As we were getting ready to take him to the emergency vet, he died. It was very stressful and I wish things had been different, but I can take some comfort knowing that he is no longer in any pain. We have taken him to be cremated. We have lost 3 of our 4 cats this year, so it has been very difficult saying goodbye to Drummer today, but we like to think of him running around - reunited with his cat-dad, Piper. Our vet thinks the IBD has probably changed to lymphoma, hence the rapid weight loss and our being unable to control things with diet or meds. We were due to start the chemo drug next, but I'm not sure he would have been strong enough to take that either.

Anyway - thanks again to everyone - I wish you all the best of luck with your IBD kitties - give them an extra big cuddle today.

Jx

9. Douglas’ Dad

Oh I am so sorry. You must be devastated. Bless you in these hard times. He was very lucky to have such a caring owner who didn’t give up. I am very, very sad reading this news :-(

10. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

My deepest condolences for your devastating loss @DrummerCat
    RIP Drummer

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@DrummerCat - I am very sorry indeed to hear the sad news that Drummer has passed over the Bridge, bless him..

My sympathies too for the loss of your other 2 cats this year. It is awful for you, especially on top of the miserable situation with COVID.

Thinking of you with warmth and sympathy.

RIP beloved Drummer. xxx

12. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

@DrummerCat
    I’m so sorry to hear of your sad loss. He sounded like a wonderful little cat, who was very well looked after. R.I.P lovely Drummer xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice