Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Iams dog biscuits complete

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 6, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Good or bad? it says theres loads of nutirtion ect ect, i know theres ''better'' brands, but iams is easy to get hold of a medium price and seems good

any experiences>?

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

all i know of iams/eukanuba is that its american, its highly processed, the chickens are force fed growth hormones to get them into the dog food chain quicker and they did awful experiments on healthy animals to test out the prescription range.
    All i would do from that range of food is walk away:(

3. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

hmmm ;/ because before this forum , most poeple i knew used bakers , iams , and pedigree adn all there dogs are fine , good coat ect, they are the most popular foods and most poeple say they are good i think that things like james well beloved are way to expensive ;/

4. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

i;ve got a bag of iams at the moment purely because it was on special ,theres nothing wrong with the actual food its the morals :smilewinkgrin:

5. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

yeh , cause teh food ingredients and no artificial colours ect seem good, as do pedigrees and bakers , there not ''cheap'' dog foods not like home brand or anything ,my friend has used pedgree for her whole dogs life who is now 14,

6. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

those chickens used to add the meat content of iams etc have been given growth hormones to speed up development....?
    I no i am biased i dislike iams but surely there are better quality british made foods?

7. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

what about bakers and pedigree, not to cause an eruption ahah but people on this forum just suggest the most expensive, when most people just use normal brands, like pedigree bakers and wagg.

8. ok i would walk away too

i agree with what you say, if a dog is happy and healthy on a food why change - hwoever from personal choice i prefer to choose foods which have better quality ingredients.

James posted this earlier - might make you rethink the costs. Especially as the better quality foods tend to have lower feeding qualities so the bag lasts longer (and means less poops to clean up)

You will find that some of the better quality foods such as skinners which doesnt have all the artificial additives is less than a bag of bakers!

9. I dont like either of them, but i am also not a fan of dry foods either.

I accept there are better dry foods, but to me the best diet for a dog is raw. Raw feeding isnt for everyone though so close 2nd comes a good quality wet food such as naturediet (cheap if bought in bulk), forthglade, natures menu etc. Its only after these that i would place dry food.

imho the best dry foods are arden grange and burns, but there are cheaper alternatives which are of good quality for you to choose from.

10. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

were can you get skinenrs from for 15.00?

i read up about that and that looked good but was 30.00?

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

You might know dogs who are fed bakers and pedigree who are fine... But The fact is they are cr@p foods.. The doggy equivalent of feeding your child mcdonalds and fizzy juice and I would not touch either with anyone elses barge pole...

It's not that we are pushing the more expensive stuff.. It's that the cheaper (bakers and pedigree) aren't a good enough quality.

Ask around you local pet shops... Mine will order in any food and home deliver for free, or you could buy online. My pup is on Wainwrights (pets at home 'brand') which is £29 for 15 kg.

You will also find that with the more expensive, better quality stuff it will last longer as you don't need to feed as much as say wagg to keep your dog at the ideal weight...
    For example.. when my pup was on wagg... a 10 kg bag would last maybe 2 or 3 weeks. Now he needs a bit more, to keep up with the rate he is growing... a 15kg bag of wainwrights I opened about 3 weeks ago and I'm only just about half way through it! :)

xx

12. gazt

gazt Banned

csj seem the best value for a good enough food you only need these premiemfoods if they have allergies or sensitive stomachs why throw your money away there are plenty of good foods for under £20 csj autarky skinners wagg chudleys there dogs not humans don,t be brain washed into buying these so called top foods there no better than the ones i,ve just mentioned :)

13. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

You'll always pay alittle bit more for puppy food even the rubbish brands are normally more exspensive in puppy form

Im buying skinners £33.45 i think for 30kgs of food bargin imo that would last one pup of medium size around 3months if not more hopefully it will last my two 7-8weeks at a time

14. Savahl

Savahl Guest

This is a good point, the cheaper foods are often somewhat of a false economy x... less £££ per kg, but you have to buy more often; so much of the food makeup is junk, its offers no nutritional value and so you have to feed more to make up for it - cos the useless (if tasty) "junk" doesnt just come straight out the other end ;)

#14 Savahl, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  15. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

well, skinners , where can i get that for 15pounds? for 15kg , that looks one of the best food ingredients wise :)

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ask at your local pet shops, see what price they could get it for you, either that or have a look where you can buy it online :)

x

17. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

skinners i believe do horse food as well so feed merchants that cater for horses, farmers tend to stock skinners at the correct price of£15

18. ive just googled and found a multitude of sites with skinners ranging from £12 - £25 the price varies on which type you buy (working dog food is always cheaper as its vat free), and the puppy is the most expensive. Puppy foods are always more expensive no matter what the brand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice