Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I was wondering...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cat001, Aug 20, 2009.

1. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

My Rabbit, Lucy, was a rescue, we've had her for a few years now, when we first got her we had her indoors but she'd just sit there in the corner of her hutch shaking and would hardly move, when we moved her outdoors to what she was most used to, she perked up a lot...that's the background information...

Judging by her behaviour when we first got her it seemed that she was terrified of humans, after approx. 3 years with us she will now run enthusiastically to me when she see's me to check if I have treats and very happily eats out of my hand and will even sometimes lick me but she's still very funny about being touched. She will only sometimes let me pet her on the head but she will lower her head right down and flatten her ears, there's no way she will let me touch her anywhere else on her body. She also seems afraid of the indoors, she will see Chester, our other rabbit hop in and out of the house so will have a look in but that's as brave as she gets. We do bring them indoors during the winter but when we let them out of the indoor hutch she hops back in it and refuses to explore the house with Chester.

I was wondering it was possible to remove these fears of hers? It doesn't effect her quality of life except during the winters when we have to pick her up and take her indoors, which is something she doesn't look faward to, I was wondering if I could do anything for her or if this is simply the way she is?

2. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Try clicker training her as I did with my Rosie who was also very nervous about being touched to the point she would bite you for petting her head. Go to see her prepared with a treat and clicker, stroke her a few times then click and give the treat. Repeat this everytime you pet her and she'll learn to associate you touching her with a nice treat. Can do this without a clicker too just giving the treat after a few strokes.

3. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

I hadn't actually thought of giving her her treat after petting her! :blushing: I'll give it a go, hopefully she won't be too angry with me for petting her first then treat second lol :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice