Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I was sold 2 sick kittens for full price.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by coconuttings, Oct 30, 2012.

1. coconuttings

coconuttings PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm new here and also a new cat owner. And I've been in absolute hell since the day I got the two sick kittens. They were sold to me as healthy, happy, playful and curious kittens (from a breeder who breeds GCCF registered kittens). But they turned out very much the opposite. I've only had them since Saturday, and took them to the vets on Monday for various alarming reasons. The vet had a look at them and here is what we found out:

1. Both are seriously underweight, weighing less than half of what they should at 9 weeks. They were each 450-550grams.
    2. Both had blood in their stool (which was completely watery and smelt absolutely awful).
    3. One had an eye infection.
    4. One had a bit of a raised temperature.

The vet bill turned out to be £100 as we got special food, antibiotics, eye drops, a worming pack... Just about everything.

I paid £300 for these two.

I contacted the breeder who seemed oblivious to the weight and their situation and convinced me they were happy and healthy and had food all of the time available. The breeder agreed to pay out half of the vet bill, but only this time round as I understood it.

I don't have this kind of money laying around for every 10 days to pay out at a vets office.

I've never had anything like this happen to me.

I'm asking if anybody knows my rights towards getting any further compensation towards this and if they have had similar situations before?

Thanks for reading.

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sorry you've been sold sick kittens, that must be awful:(

Are you sure they are GCCF registered, as I understand that they have rules in place about the age kittens go to their new homes. What breed are they? I don't know what prices breeders charge for other breeds as I'm only really familiar with Siamese, but I though they'd be more than £150 each.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

First of all I'd like to say I'm sorry that your kittens are unwell :(
    If you have the breeder's GCCF prefix you can complain to the GCCF. There is a specific form on their website to complain about being sold kittens that are ill.
    However, I gather that these kittens are not registered as no self-respecting breeder would consider selling a kitten to you at 9 weeks never mind one that was sick and obviously very underweight.
    If the kittens are not registered I do not know what the GCCF can do but it maybe worth making a complaint anyway.
    Financially I doubt there is anything you can do sadly.

4. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

Goodness... That's naughty!
    I doubt they are registered if they cost £150 each and poorly.
    Breeders are supposed to get kittens health checked and vaccinated before sale.
    What breed are they?

5. coconuttings

Right see the breeder does register their kittens, but they had 3 litters at the same time of which 2 were British Shorthair and one was moggy. The kittens had 1 day difference in birth in two of the litters. As they lived quite far away and originally we thought of getting just one kitten or one of her very own litter mates (but then they all sold) and I had always dreamt of a British Shorthair kitten, the breeder said they'd sell the kitten for me now if I wanted him for less as he'd not be registered. The breeder showed me the parents papers (I met both of the the mums as well, the moggy's and the BSH's) and showed that the pure breed kitten had been tested and all sorts. And so home we went...

I did all my research before choosing this specific breeder... I feel so stupid... The kittens were fed a very cheap low nutrional brand supermarket food, and the breeder (when I spoke to them on the phone) asked ME to tell them what to feed their kittens...

I hope this helps clear out any unfilled gaps I left out as I wrote the original post in quite a hurry. I'm just gutted for all of this. And scared for the kittens health. They were very lethargic since Saturday but now they seem to be doing slightly better.

Moggy was £100
    BSH was £200 without papers

#5 coconuttings, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  6. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

It might be worth a complaint to GCCF about the breeder and also complain to her about the health of the kittens.
    Moggys generally leave home 8-9 weeks (too early but usual) and pedigrees at 12+ weeks
    It's not your fault so don't feel stupid! Just look after them and give them love, food and attention and they will bounce back! :D

7. lymorelynn

Staff Member

You should have been given a copy of a mating certificate for your BSH so that you can register him/her yourself. If the breeder didn't want to register them herself this perfectly acceptable. If you weren't given that option I would be concerned.
    She still should not have sold a kitten that was clearly not well - the weight alone would be enough of a worry for me to think there was something wrong.
    It annoys me when 'breeders' offer to sell un-registered kittens for less - the cost of registration is negligible in relation to the cost of raising kittens.

8. coconuttings

Yeah I've been thinking about it. The breeder seemed just very novice about it all so I feel bad for them for this mistake. I asked if they had vet checked the kittens and they said they had not because nothing seemed to be wrong with them.

My vet told me that basically as pets are sold as goods in the law I could try to get justice done. But right not I'm just so out of energy staying up all night wiping bums, making sure everything is okay with them... And then doing this all alone is the worst part but I guess that's life.

I got a free insurance with the kittens, but I don't know would it even cover this.

I seriously feel just ruined. This whole cat experience has been absolutely all I never even dared to dream about. And I just feel I've been a bad kitten mummy though everybody tells me I have not :/

9. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Any 'breeder' that is breeding moggies alongside 'so called' peds is unethical. I would have ran a mile before buying kittens from someone like that.

Pity you learnt the hard way. I hope the kittens get well soon.

10. lymorelynn

Staff Member

Don't feel like a bad cat mummy - you have done the right thing in getting your little ones to the vet and hopefully they will be fine now :)
    Your vet is right in that you should be covered by the sale of goods act but it would mean going through the small claims court to get any recompense and even if the court found in your favour you still may not get any money.

11. coconuttings

Yeah I guess you are completely right. Only they don't breed the crossbreed, it just ran out one day (according to their story) and bam, pregnant. Though if you are a breeder and have a pet cat for company you'd get them fixed.

I didn't see it coming, I was hoping with all my heart that this experience would go well. But I had to learn it the hard way.

I thought as I was buying my first kitten off a breeder who's cat had accidentally gotten pregnant that they'd give the kittens the type of care and knowledge etc that you'd expect from a breeder. This was my reason for going for this breeder. As I said, originally I only wanted a moggy but the chance opened up for the BSH kitten.

God I AM stupid :/ Just came here to confirm that I suppose... :/

EDIT: // And well if there's nothing but trouble with going through the trading goods then it's not worth my time which I should be fully giving to these kittens in the first place. My vet also said I have full rights in demanding my money back from the breeder and giving the kittens back to her. Too bad I've already grown attached to them, but I'll have to seriously think this through..

#11 coconuttings, Oct 30, 2012
  12. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

I was sold my GCCF registered Queen at nine weeks with one vaccination - when I queried the age I was told the GCCF guidelines re 13 weeks was a recommendation not a rule - I now have my first litter of pedigree kittens (mine was sold to me on the active) which are nine weeks and between 1280 and 1600 grammes and I wouldnt dream of letting them go to their new homes before 13 weeks as to me they are still small babies. In hindsight my Queen was small for nine weeks although probably not as small as your kittens. Im sorry to hear you have had problems with them - people can be unscrupulous whether they be GCCF registered or not. Please dont think you are stupid, as I said I bought my kitten at nine weeks and I was persuaded by the breeder that this was fine, I was just lucky not to have any problems.

#12 wicket, Oct 30, 2012
  13. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Dont feel sorry for the breeders who sold these kittens well before they were ready they shouldnt have done so simple as..also you cant 100% blame them as you could have put down a deposit and collected them when ready thats how it works..

Another byb just pocketed a nice easy £300 i sorry but people never learn and it drives me crazy when there is good hard working honest breeders that have trouble getting good homes for their kittens because of these kind of breeders selling cheap,underaged kittens people think there getting a bargain..think again.

14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

The fact she's breeding moggies (expensive ones at that!) alongside her pedigrees sounds worrying, definitely try contacting the GCCF.

I hope your kittens get well soon

15. lymorelynn

Staff Member

You are not stupid :( Naive perhaps but we can only learn from our mistakes. I can totally understand your thinking that a moggy from pedigree breeder ought to have been brought up properly but there are breeders and there are Breeders. And I agree that a moggy companion should have been neutered too.
    Please don't let this awful experience stop your enjoyment of your kittens :)

16. coconuttings

Supporting BYB... One thing I never ever ever ever wanted to do. I'm against that. And I did that. I put down a deposit on the moggy and yeah I agree she was expensive but I thought I was paying for the experience. I certainly have learned from this. I'm sorry for anybody that I upset with this as well. I really really am sorry :(

If anybody gets a better feeling, the kittens are playful and their stools have turned to pretty much normal in a bit over 30 hours from changing their food.

I'll be contacting GCCF and telling about this.

Money in the end isn't my biggest concern though it really does not seem like it from what I have re-read my posts.

When the time comes for another cat, be it when these two have passed on... (in many many many years to come hopefully) I'll be twice the wiser and go for a breeder with the experience and knowledge and understanding towards the breed instead. One who cares for her cats.

Yet again, sorry for all who felt rage for my actions... :(

EDIT:// My BSH has the most precious nature and if I don't get anything else good out of this he sure is true to breed in the cuddle-monster type of way. He purrs the second you just look at him! And my moggy, she is just plain gorgeous, loves attention but isn't really a lap cat, and I'd not have it any other way.

#16 coconuttings, Oct 30, 2012
  17. Ang2

Ang2 PetForums VIP

Did you say they came with free insurance? You need to look into this as it should pay the vet bills whatever they are. Insurance is insurance!

Also, its not unusual for kittens to become ill and have upset tummies on arriving at their new homes due to stress. Im sure once they have been wormed, vaccinated and fattened up, it will be plain sailing and you can then enjoy the pleasures of being a cat owner.

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

There's nothing to stop you from asking for your money back and returning the kittens. But I wouldn't hold your breath that the 'breeder' will do the ethical thing as her breeding practices are the pits.

She's most likely laughing her head off at gaining £300 for a pair of moggies because without the relevant paperwork, you've most likely purchased two mogs, not one ped and one mog as you've been led to believe :(

I can't help wondering, simply because I'm cynical, what research did you do? BSH isn't 'my' breed, but even I know there are plenty of ethical BSH breeders out there. If you'd have researched fully you'd have been spoilt for choice.

19. ejrogers

ejrogers PetForums Member

This sounds horribly familiar to what happened to me when I naively bought my BSH kitten in August last year. I was very naive and believed what the breeder told me, she let the kitten come home with me at 9 wks, she (the kitten) was unregistered due to the mother cat having gotten pregnant by accident even though both mother and father were pedigrees, I was also told the kittens had been vet checked and were perfectly healthy and so I paid £250 for her.
    The kitten I bought did seem very healthy when I saw her, clear eyes, playful, eating well etc but was very small, only 500g however I was told this was fine at 9wks.
    Within 2 days she had developed sickness and diarrhoea and was diagnosed with Giardia and T Foetus which the vet thought likely came from her mother.
    Our insurance dudn't cover our vet bills as it started in the first 14 days so it has cost us an absolute fortune!
    An expensive lesson to learn but don't beat yourself up over it, we learn with experience and never make the same mistake twice, just look after your little kitties and get them well again.

Just out of interest whereabouts in the country was your breeder?

20. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

You sound really nice i have to admit, its not nice what they have done.

I can imagine how angry you must feel if they are doing things like this they will be struck off soon enough.

They do sound like idiots.

I hope your kittens turn a corner and give you much enjoyment you deserve it.Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice