Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I was scared !!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JennieJet, Jul 30, 2009.

1. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

I have a 20 week old black lab girl puppy and today she totally frightened me !!! She managed to get hold of some mustard and was eating it, as I went to get it from her she turned nasty. Her hair was standing up all along her back and she was snarling and growling at me ( there no was play in this at all)...i was scared and backed off.....I then tried again to get it off her but the same thing happened again..she went so nasty...there was nothing i could do but wait til she finished it and then she was back to normal.....my husband says that was prob being nasty as the mustard was burning her mouth ??? I am now a little wary of her and dont know what to do..she has NEVER shown any aggression before and if she gets things in her mouth you can always approach her and take them out but today was a totally different thing..there was actual aggression which scared me

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I'm thinking it might have been the mustard doing it, like your husband said. Did she calm down when you backed off?

3. JennieJet

when i backed off she stopped growling etc but when i approached her thats when she went nasty...and i mean proper nasty ( i even cried ) because i was that frightened ) I have never seen her like that before :(

4. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Hmm. If it was the mustard that was burning her, she probably would have carried on when you backed off.

I don't know what to suggest but I understand how you feel :(

Hopefully somebody will be along soon with advice!

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I'd sugest you get a behaviourest and see what they say. What is she like when shes eating? is she food aggressive if you go and try and touch the food? you would think if the mustard was hot she wouldnt eat it rather then "gard it" Good luck I hope the behaviour can be sorted for you.

6. JennieJet

she will eat her food very quick...within a minute but she is not food aggressive...i have put my hand in her bowl while she is eating before and then taken it off her half way through and it never bothered her .....today was the first time ever :(

7. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Taking food off a dog is never a good way to train them to accept food, on the contrary, it can make them more protective of their food and food aggressive.

Instead, give her half and halfway through add too it or give her her meal and while she is eating it add something extra tasty. This way she will learn that good things happen when you approach her when feeding, not that it will be taken away. Also, I would teach a leave or give command so that you can take stuff away when you really need to. Start off with low value things and work your way up to high value things.

8. JennieJet

ok i will start that today by giving her half her food and then adding.......i was so frightened when she went nasty at me....do you think this is a one off ? should i be worried about it or should i just forget about it ?

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Google resouce guarding and food aggression to get advice on how to deal with it.

The number one thing I would say is, NEVER back down to a dog, especially a pup. You must find another way of getting the item if they are refusing to give it.

Eg. I was looking after an 11 stone rottweiler. When he got hold of another dogs toy, he would not drop it. After demanding that he drop it and him not listening, I then got a piece of ham, waved it in front of his nose. When he dropped the toy, I gave him a command to sit and then gave him the ham. (this way he thought the treat was for sitting and not for ignoring me!) If I had had this dog for longer, I would have worked on my leadership skills, so that he listened to me (he does it when the owner asks him to). My 3 dogs drop anything on command, because they know I am the boss.

My giving in to your dog, you have compromised your pack leader status, so you need to look at ways in which you can reinforce this.

Good luck

PS Think of it this way. .....What is the worst a 20wk old puppy will do?

10. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

sounds like resource guarding, my rottie does this occasionally and im the only one who can get stuff off him without cheating, unfortunatly i dont live their anymore, it can take a lot of time to train a dog out of this which is why we cheated. when he has something he shouldnt, we have a squeaky toy that we press, he imediatly goes ruinning to get it leaving the object alone, he is then told to sit and wait while we go get the object and only once its put the way does he get a treat, usually once you have the object the dog has immediatly forgotten it, if you can distract them the object is forgotten, dogs live in the now!!

obviously you need something that in your dogs eyes is worth more then mustard.

11. JennieJet

I tried showing her her food tub but she just wasnt interested......I think I just paniced more I was frightened that she was going to attack me or something.....if it did happen again I would get her squeaky toy or some better food to tempt her away...........

12. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Touch wood i have not had food aggressive behaviour from mika - so far so good although he doesn't like it when i take one of his bonios away - i only take it from him for a sec to break it into two because he can't chew a whole bone by himself. But i use a treat to distract him for a second. Seems to work but i can tell from his expression he doesn't appreciate being interrupted from his food!

13. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

dont blame him, i hate people messing with my food!!!

i have no problem with a dog guarding his food bowl because i see no reason for me to have to take his food off him while hes eating, it only lasts 5 mins anyway, but i think if you ever need to take objects off them you have to be carefull with how you aproach them, if your too forcefull with them then you will only scare them into thinking that your a horrible food stealer.

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sounds like she's guarding. We made sure when we got our GSD that she was used to us taking her food off her and smoothing her while she ate.

15. JennieJet

when I fed Jet tonight she was perfectly fine...i tried the half feeding and then adding and i also kept my hand in the bowl for a bit and it never bothered her ... I also stroked her etc and she didnt bat an eye lid which I am pleased about.....just the incident with the mustard today scared the life out of me :(

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That is quite strange. Perhaps she thought the mustard was so tasty she didn't want to share it :yesnod:

17. JennieJet

do you think its nothing I should worry about then ??? my husband thinks its nothing

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think it's definitely something you need to nip in the bud, you don't want this behaviour happening ever :yesnod:

19. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

mine doesnt guard his food just other things, blankets, toys, bones, even his own sick etc.

they will only guard whats valuble to them, nice to know my dogs puke is more importent then me!! lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice