Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I was looking through old photos..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

And I remembered the first day I brought Bella home. All she had ever known was the side of the highway and a dark farm barn in her first 4 months of life.
    When we brought her home she just hid under the first table she found and froze....wouldnt move the poor little thing. I tried taking her out to wee and she just crawled under my car and again, just cowered, completely still.

She was so thin, when I bathed her all you could see was a very very swollen tummy (from worms), but you could see her ribs, count the veretbrae on her spine, and her hip bones were protruding. Nevertheless, she wass till absolutely gorgeous and unbelievably cute.

Then Bella finally became happy at home, but walks were a nightmare - it would take 10 minutes just to get to the bottom of the road.

I can't believe it's the same dog!

2. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

You've just reminded me of Lucy, my Nan's old dog. She was a common mutt, but I reckon she must have had some Lancashire Heeler in her as she had the same face, tail and colourings, but had slightly longer legs and a white tummy!

They got her from the RSPCA when she was about 4 (we never did know but that's what they'd placed her at) and she'd been so neglected. She was stick thin, her tail was raw from mites and where she's scratched it. She had an ear missing, was blind in one eye from being shot.

And the day they brought her home she hid under the sofa. I went round and led on my tummy and stayed there for 3 hours until she would come out, take a biscuit off me, and run back.

I did this for every day over the summer holidays, and eventually 2 weeks later I had her sitting comfortably in the yard whilst me and my granddad and aunty bathed her tail and applied creme to it.

3 weeks later we took her for her first walk and the rest was history.Whenever I went round me and that dog were inseperable. She never did get the hang of her recall totally though! But she was great at dancing and dressing up in silly hats, shades and being pushed around in shopping trolleys!

She was sadly PTS last year after developing cancer. But if she was 4 when we got her, then she must have been about 17 when she went, and I like to think the 13 years my nanna/granddad had her, were the best life that any dog could hope for!

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Awww,
    that is such a sweet story!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice