Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I was bitten by a massive dog at the park, the police don't care!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Vambo, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Vambo

Vambo PetForums Junior

I have two springers and when walking them at the park, I was attacked by a huge bear-like dog, (an ocvharka) and bitten on the side and on the arm. It was an unprovoked attack apart from the fact that one of my dogs was growling quietly as he sat, on the lead, in between my legs as I sat on a bench. I had to go by ambulance to A&E where the wounds were dressed and I had a tetanus shot, and was prescribed antibiotics. Every nurse and every doctor who saw the bites said I must report it to the police. And so did my friend who runs a dog rescue. So I did. But I really wish I had not bothered. Even though the dog was actually set on me again a month later (but didn't bite, because I stood perfectly still and looked away) to try to intimidate me, the police have taken no action whatsoever.and the CPS decided not to press charges because the first time she "did not order her dog to attack". She did not admit that her dog bit me, only that it "pounced"; her account made it seem like a dog on dog attack in which I intervened. This is not what happened at all! I had a witness but he is my son and they said he was therefore not "impartial". While I am a dog lover and I would hate to see a dog destroyed because its owner is too lazy to train it properly (the dog has no recall at all and does not even know "sit"), I am astounded that absolutely nothing has happened, not even a muzzling order, and no walks-on-lead order either. I would like to know, what does a dog have to do before it's considered a danger to the public? This one lives near a primary school and it's only a matter of time before some terrible tragedy occurs.

2. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

By the "dangerous dog act" no matter what breed/size is the dog he must be under control at all times. Even making you afraid/worried is an offence not to mention bitten .
    Have you tried to contact ypur local dog warden?dog that bitten once should be muzzled, kept on the lead or both.

Sarah H, Juliat505 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That surprises me because the Police took it very seriously when my dog and I were set upon by a loose dog.

I wasn’t bitten but it drew blood on my dog and the owner received a 12 month Community Order (?) and the dog has to be kept on lead in public.

Speak to Trevor Cooper / a solicitor who deals with Dog Law.

Sarah H, O2.0, Calvine and 3 others like this.
  4. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

'Ovcharka' is a term unfamiliar to the most but applied to many of the LGD breeds. It is a category of dog not a breed. 'Ovcharka' is old Russian and simply translates as 'Guardian of the flock' The Leonberger has sometimes been wrongly identified as an 'Ovcharka' but it is not.

How do you know it was an 'Ovcharka'?o_O

As owners of 'Ovcharkas' your post just doesn't add up.:Wacky

Happy Paws2 and Magyarmum like this.
  5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I live in Hungary where LGD breeds are fairly common.

Our previous trainer owns a Central Asian Ovcharka who looks similar to this one

[​IMG]

And there's also the Caucasian Ovcharka which I believe is more popular in the UK

[​IMG]

Zaros likes this.
  6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately the Caucs are increasing in numbers in the UK, & seem to be favoured by people in urban/suburban areas, the exact environment where dogs bred for remote & quiet environments shouldn't be & where they will be most stressed.

What could possibly go wrong?

7. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

We're aware of the growing popularity of this type of dog, especially in areas it was never intended to be bred for or raised in, and are shocked that breeders allow any Jack the lad or Jackie the lass, to become an owner regardless of the property that owner might live in.
    Arrogance combined with complacency is the downfall of everyone and, unfortunately, in the respect of these types of dogs, theirs too.
    It is not just my considered opinion that cossets the notion that it's time for ownership restrictions to clearly established. Restrictions that would see such dogs barred from being raised amongst the concrete and the mortar of heavily populated areas, not just for the sake of the people but, more importantly, for the sake of the breed and its reputation.

I see the original post as bait because 'Ovcharka' was the specific target and not big dog or C/O or Newfie or Pyr'

I'd also be curious to know how serious the apparent dog bite was to warrant the call out of an ambulance and the attendance of its crew?:Wideyed

Calvine, havoc, noushka05 and 4 others like this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

A nightmare :(

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I was thinking that, it doesn't make any sense, a dog attack to warrant an ambulance, I would have thought the police would have taken strong action against the owner.

picaresque, havoc, cava14 una and 5 others like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Like @Lurcherlad I too am surprised the police have taken no action. Here in the US where the laws are looser about "dangerous dogs" any bite that results in medical attention has to be reported by law - the attending medical personnel are required to report it. Is that not the case in the UK?
    That you were transported by ambulance would make me think even more the bite would be recorded by emergency personnel and the police would want to at least file a report.

Lurcherlad, Happy Paws2 and Magyarmum like this.
  11. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Just to add, even if you were intervening in a dog-on-dog attack, a serious bite to the arm requiring an ambulance would definitely be taken seriously by the police. There's something not adding up here...

12. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I thought a dog bite had to be reported by hospitals in this country too.

I’m very surprised that the police haven’t taken action especially as there is an implied threat

Lurcherlad, Northpup, havoc and 3 others like this.
  13. Happy Paws2

It doesn't does it.

Sarah H and Sacremist like this.
  14. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I don’t believe for one second that the police are not taking a dog bite seriously. I’m afraid your claims don’t ring true for me; they’re too far fetched.

Sarah H, Happy Paws2 and Calvine like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

16. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Calvine likes this.
  17. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

There was a chihuahua that also attacked a postman/woman that went to court.

The court sided with the chi owner though but still it was in the papers...it got that far.

I think if you look enough there is all sorts of breeds taken seriously by police for biting/attacking/chasing that make local headlines, some in national news too.

Calvine likes this.
  18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Me too . . . did I read correctly that the ''victim'' waited six weeks to report this vicious brute?:)

Sacremist and Happy Paws2 like this.
  19. Happy Paws2

20. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

He was returned home. The man apparently told the police the Yorkie was the size of a border collie.

Calvine and Happy Paws2 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice