UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share my story of my beautiful Dobermann, Tanya.
Tanya is 12 and a half years old and has had an amazing life with me and Graham. We have raised her from 8 weeks old. Tanya was the runt of the litter and I fell in love with her immediately. She was very thin, sad and left out. Advice is not to go for the runt of the litter and I am so pleased that I ignored that and had her.
Tanya's has an absolutely fantastic personality. She is beyond soft, very affectionate, loyal and has been an absolute joy, she has brought laughter and tears along the way....
When she was 8, she developed a malignant tumour in her shoulder, which was removed and we were told she had approx 18 months as the cancer was aggressive, 2 years later it came back, we had it removed again and were told that may be the last time they could remove it. Months later, what started with a limp, we discovered that she had a tumour in her toe, the toe was removed and she coped exceedingly well. Approx 3 months ago, she started with a cough, antibiotics were adminstered over a period of 2 weeks, the cough didn't clear and she looked very sad. We took her back to the vets and the cough still hadn't cleard. A chest x-ray was done and the news has shook me to the core, she has a tumour in her lung and there is nothing that can be done as her lung is riddled with tiny tumours too.

Tanya is currently on steroids, which are keeping her nice and comfortable, she is fine in herself, still playing, eating and exercising well. As I said earlier, she is 12 and a half but we could get away with saying she is 8.

The vet told us that she hasn't got long and to enjoy her, which we always have done. We took her on holiday last week and she loved it, it was a very bitter sweet feeling.

I am at the stage where the emotion hits me like a tonne of bricks, it comes and goes.

Tanya has had to be on an extendable lead on walks for years. When she was on a scent, we didn't exist, she would just take off for a while and the concern came when she ran over a road, the decision was taken to keep her on a lead, what a shame. We tried everything to no avail. Her nose and ears didn't work together. :rolleyes:

We don't have any children, so she has had the joy of having her own bedroom, complete with a 2 seater settee.

I have a fantastic relationship with my husband, which will help when the time comes to say goodbye to her, he, like Tanya is amazing. Graham walks her every day, twice a day, we do go together on occasion but not always. His routine has been the same since we had her, that will be hard for him to get used to when she is no longer with us.

I wanted to share my story with people who understand how heart broken we feel.

Thank you for reading my thread. Haley x :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hello Haley.Im so sorry to hear your Tanya is poorly.She sounds a wonderful dog,and has given you so much,as you have given her.It is always so hard when their life is drawing to an end.Enjoy the time you have left with your special dog,take one day at a time.Big hug xx

G

·
It's one of the hardest things you will face in life, but I know you will do the right thing by your girl, as you have throughout her life.
Please stay and chat to us and hopefully we may be able to help in some small way when the time comes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your comments. It's nice to chat with people who understand. The other day at work, I was tearful and my colleague said "well you have had her a long time". Grrrrr. x

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I had to let my boy go almost a year ago, and it s been the most traumatic thing in my life losing him. I'll never get over it, I just learn to live with it. I'm sos orry to hear you are going through this. Sounds like Tanya is one lucky girl and I know you have her best interstes at heart, and just remember this when the time comes:( Thinking of you

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Very sorry to hear such sad news. you are absolutely right that people on here will understand what you are going through, your post brought a tear to my eye. I lost one of my wolfhounds in the autumn and felt a little silly crying in front of certain people who looked at me as though I was crazy.

Nobody on here will think that, many of us have been through similarly devasting times, and I'm sure we will all be here for you when you need a cyber shoulder too. Best wishes

A Xx

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What a heartfelt touching post...

My thoughts are with you Hun and with your Husband too.

Tanya must be a very very special part of your family and its heartbreaking what you are going through.

Prayers and thoughts for your special girl xx

·
Registered
781 Posts
Darn it, it bloody well hurts doesn't it? Just been through it myself and the pain is still raw. There is no comfort, just let the tears flow. Thinking of you xxxx

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Aww bless you Haley and hubby. It is so hard when they are losing their battle with 'father time'! But she sounds like she is battling to stay with you for as long as possible. I hope you all spend some precious time together and have lots of fantastic memories for when the time comes to let your girl go.

Your story has made me weep as i lost my last gsd unexpectedly and wasn't with him to say goodbye, i am glad for you that you know about your girl and that you are getting that chance with her.

X X

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you know what, joining this forum is the best thing I have done. What a lovely bunch of supportive people. Love to you all x

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nice to read that she's had a good life :)
And no doubt you will continue to give her a good life until the time has come when you need to say goodbye.

One of the setbacks of owning a dog :(

·
Gobsh!te
7,128 Posts
not to sure what to say hun, didn't want to read your post and not leave a comment, tanya is clearly very well loved and i'm so so sorry that she's poorly she sounds lovely, sending you, tanya and of course your hubby my love x

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.