Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I want to rescue Fluffy's sister!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellis, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Trellis

Trellis PetForums Member

My brother-in-law's girfriend has her and really does not look after her properly at all. She's been allowed to wander outside from being tiny, she's not neutered or microchipped or had her jabs. They feed her rubbish and her litter tray is always overflowing. She is often left at my BIL's house and he doesn't want her. They basically treat her like rubbish. When I mentioned injections his girlfriend said 'it's only a cat!'

BIL would be happy to let us take her but I don't know how to broach the subject with his girlfriend. I'm not sure whether she really wants the cat or not. There is also a chance she might be pregnant and I'm not really in a position to cope with a pregnant cat and a litter of kittens as I work FT and wouldn't have a clue what I was doing.

I am very worried about the cat's welfare though, but am worried about reporting them to the RSPCA as they are family and my H wouldn't be v happy. I'd rather take the cat in and look after her myself but it's a tricky subject to raise!

What should I do?

2. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

It's seems like a very tricky situation, I would feel the same. I hate to see animals not cared for properly.

Just suggest it in a jokey way and she may jump at the chance to pass her on to someone who will care for her. You could say you were thinking about getting Fluffy a playmate and her biological sister could be ideal.

Your SIL could always come to visit her at your house.

If she is pregnant she will need to be spayed asap, I think if it's early enough in the pregnancy you can spay her but obviously you will lose the litter of kittens.

Hope it all turns out ok.

3. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

I think that a great idea, you could say you were thinking of getting a companion as your cat is lonely, and then you could say her sister would have been ideal and you wish you had taken two kittens as they would get on being litter mates. Wish you luck it is very awkward with family:)

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I dont even know what to say, she sounds like a awful person, and your BIL for putting up with it! :(

I think Id just go in and steal her and put her under my coat, they wont notice! :D ;)

No Id ask, say as above looking for aplaymate etc See what she says & take her to the vet ASAP and get her checked out!

let us know what happens!!

5. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

:cursing:If that's her attitude then she obviously doesn't want her,so be up front and help this poor cat.

6. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I agree get that poor cat outta there...

you cant just leave it there just because it might be pregnant..Thats something that you would have to deal with (spayed/kittens)..

7. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Suggestions about you wanting to get a playmate for your cat are good. If you don't know how she'd react, mention it to you BIL & get him to raise it with her. Even if she is pregnant, a shelter would take the kittens from you & be able to home them & it'd put your mind at rest to know she was safe, well & in a loving new home with you x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice