Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I want to help...Greyhounds!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 27, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Some of you may know I have been srot of looking for a third dog..

Well the lady with the deaf dalmatian decided to quit her job and get another one at weekend nights so there would be someone with the dog, and has been taking advice on how to help with the SA.

So... I have decided I want to get back into fostering!

My local greyhound rescue is in need of help housing the dogs and fostering them.

I have experience with a few greyhounds, have succesfully introduced them (with muzzle at first) to small dogs and cats.
    My dad used to have a lurcher, and often dog sit a greyhound so I do have hands on experience.

So I have emailed them telling them I would like to help, and told them a bit about myself and lifestyle.

I hope I can foster one!

x

noushka05 likes this.
  2. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

good luck, greyhounds are great dogs,we grew up with them and all lived alongside our cat and rabbit, although think one or two would have eaten anyother cat on the street. they are a great breed and i still try and talk people into owning one when i get the chance;)

3. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Yes, good luck with it Poison Girl.
    Greyhounds are so beautiful and I hope one day when the kids are older to be able to rescue a retired racer...

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

my son is 4 but he is very good with the dogs. He is very gentle to them.
    Our 2 cats are not 'runner's if confronted by a dog they will stand still.
    I have plenty of room for a bed next to the dogs crates, my dads lurcher was the size of a greyhound and slept on a feather duvet.
    I have toilet trained kenneled dogs succesfully and I feel I would be able to offer a great deal to retired racers who need to adjust to pet life.
    I have a secure garden and take my dogs nice long walks, I have a space on my couch in the evenings, I think there will be a que of greys wanting to come here! :D

x

5. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

That's great, I think I have convinced a friend of mine that once he has his house and is in the market for a dog that a greyhound would be a good choice for him, he is very keen.

They are lovely :)
    Hope the rescue come back to you soon, do you think you'll be able to give them back tho once they find their FH?

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah, I think I will.
    I have fostered before, and although it is sad when they go, it means I have room for another who needs my help! :)

x

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

lol if their anything like the greys we used to have they are much happier sat on the couch with you watching the world go by rather than going on long walks..lol ours, if you shouted walkies used to run to the car:D

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Lol when I say long walks, I mean I walk nice and leisurely pace, while the pair of them run about like nutters!
    The forest is 15 mins away from here, then there is various routes you can take through it. I am sure my pair walk/run 10 times more than I do, Lol. So the greyhound can walk at a nice leisurely pace with me while they burn off energy. Hehe.

x

9. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

good luck hope it all works well for you xx

10. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have always wanted to but i can't pass the house checks :( :(

I have a 3yr old, not such the issue, but i also have 4 cats, a rabbit who lives in (well summer will be out but winter in) and rodents.

So i just can't :(

Instead its my giant breed!! lol!!

Good luck though hun xxx

11. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Good luck!!

:D

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When I emailed I got a notification saying they always try to respond within 48 hours, as their team is made up of mainly volunteers so I will just keep my eyes on my inbox until I hear back! Lol

x

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am still waiting for a reply to my email! :(
    I did try to call the numbers at the bottom of the page today, but they both went to answerphone and I hate phoning people I don't know enough, I can't stand leaving a message! Lol

The response I got from the email did say they try to reply within 48 hours, but to be patient as they are all volunteers and very busy.

Maybe try ringing them again tomorrow.

x

14. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Good for you, the world could do with a few more people like you:)

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Awwh thanks :)

It's been years since I fostered and greyhounds straight from the track are going to be a bit different. But easier I think. Well, in the wy that they are actually quite lazy. Ok so they need a bigger bed than say a terrier, but I think rather than foster say, for my local kennels, where there are loads of different breeds, temperaments, energy levels, by sticking to greys I think (hope!) it will be a little easier. Lol, time will tell :D

x

16. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I think you're amazing! x:)

17. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

Well done you!!!!!! how lovely of you to help these wonderful dogs!!

my father-in-law had several ex racers, i knew 2 of them, Bess & Midge, they were gorgeous so quiet & gentle.

Good luck with everything PG! xxx

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I had a reply to my email this morning, thanking me for expressing my interest, asking me to give him a call for a further chat :) Can't phone until after 6 pm so won't know anything else from him until then, I have also emailed two other scotland greyhound rescues.

x

19. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Nice one well done you :D. nearly all the greys in our local park can be walked of lead and are great with small dogs, one is even so well trained by his owners that if you stand there pretend to shoot him and say bang, he will very slowly get down on the ground and lie there. I know a couple of people who are involved with greyhounds, one is involved with Greyhound action Scotland and the other one is with G.A.L.. not seen either of them for ages but they are both absolutely passionate about greys.

Terri

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you don't have any joy try Lisa at greyhound gap. They are always after foster homes for greyhounds. They are based in Staffordshire but they have foster homes all over the country.

Remember greyhounds are not all couch potatoes some are retired at an early age due to injurery or because they are none chasers. My Button is nearly 4 years old and we have had her since she was 2 years old. They like to have a good run about even the older ones but it is advisable to do so in an enclosed area as they still have the chase instinct and will often chase anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice