Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I want to be a responsible dog owner, how do people navigate work around their dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SamanthaInScotland, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SamanthaInScotland

SamanthaInScotland PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, this is my very first time posting.
    I work part time and have two children, four and eight. We live in a three bed semi with front and back gardens in a country village. My current job is one I took after graduating in my field but is fixed term so I will need to look for another one in the new year.
    My son's and I really would like a dog, really. They talk about it a lot, and my eldest has for a long time. There are dogs at their grandparents house so are used to them. We are active, I don't drink and much prefer walking or MTB to the pub! I realise a dog is a huge commitment.
    But, please advice on how you fit a dog into your life around work? I thought perhaps I could pay for a dog walker to come for an hour?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It's doable we have a dog walker but took me ages to find someone I trusted ! Things to bear in mind are

Puppy or adult dogs ? Lots of dogs in rescues who would love a comfy sofa.

Holidays- we take the dogs but haven't been abroad since we got them

After school activities can extend time dogs are left on their own so it takes planning.

Lots of families have dogs initially take some time off to settle them and get into a routine.

Oh and do not get a new beige carpet!

rona likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

A lot of people manage with a walker, I know as I am one.
    I think it would be best to leave dog until you know what your work commitments will be but there's no harm in planning.:)
    Check out the local walkers, be careful while doing this, as they all sound good but aren't ........
    Have you a breed in mind?
    You could be checking around for breeders, or are you looking to rescue?

4. SamanthaInScotland

Thank you both so much. I won't get one until I have a new permeant job, but this is all about planning! Hopefully within the next 3-4 months which isn't long.

Do you have tips on what to look out for in a dog walker? I mean , how would you know which one is good?

I would prefer teenage/adult dog to a puppy I think, although that could change. I would love to rescue a dog, I would prefer that, but it seems very very difficult to find one that can be rehomed with children. I would like a lab, labdoodle, spaniel, retriever.

rona likes this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm a fussy mare who didn't want my dogs on group walks eventually I phoned the vets and the receptionist who we knew is a walker pure luck. I see some with six or mor e dogs who are all charging round.

Some rescues will rehome to family homes worth investigating.

6. rona

Go out and watch them, that's the best way. Find out the favourite dog walker areas and just take a few strolls that way when they don't think you are watching :D
    If you ask a few people that actually own dogs, they have a good idea where you might find the walkers.
    I got my last Retriever by advertising that I was offering a home to a Golden in a local paper. Actually had two come up. I suppose that would be the local FB pages these days :)
    To be honest, with children, you will need to be ultra careful with a rehome, A lot of the foreign dogs I've come across have behavioural issues. Maybe approach a few breeders and see if they have a dog that they have run on that needs a home

7. SamanthaInScotland

Thank you again! I will do that. So I can call breeders and ask for a runt ?

8. SamanthaInScotland

I've had a few people tell me not to re-home due to having children acrually, I've been reading a few stories of dogs in rescue centres, and a few return because of nipping.

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No, not a runt. The runt in a litter is usually a sickly pup which has failed to thrive.

When @rona says "run on", she means those who breed to show or work their dogs will often keep more than one pup from a litter who is showing promise. When they decide which one to keep, they will sell the other pup/pups.

rona likes this.
  10. SamanthaInScotland

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! I really need to read up on the terms.

11. rona

Ask any question here even if it seems silly. The dog ownership, particularly the choosing of is full of little issues that are not obvious at first.
    By the time you are ready for your dog, hopefully you will be reasonably up to speed on what to look for and what to look out for

kimthecat and Torin. like this.
  12. SamanthaInScotland

So, going from that, is there anything i should completely avoid, or look out for?

13. rona

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its also a good idea to think about contingency plans before you get a dog too. What happens if its sick? Do you have a back up plan if you lose your walker? Are your neighbours going to be a problem? Can you separate dog and kids easily if needed?
    Im probably a true pessimist but I found it helped to have considered all angles before I commited to a dog!

Good luck on your search though!

kimthecat and rona like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

A working breed might not be ideal if you are going to be out a lot - a show cocker should mellow out once it's out of the mad puppy stage but working breeds need lots of exercise and mental stimulation or they can be destructive. Maybe look for a dog with low to moderate exercise needs and that will hopefully work out for you ok.

16. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ps - regarding dog walkers, always ask to see that they are insured and only walking the number of dogs they are insured to walk. All professional dog walkers that carry dogs in vehicles must crate the dogs separately - so see that the vehicle is fitted out with sufficient secure crates. Ask to see references and also ask where dogs are walked.

A good dog walker will have a good knowlege of the local walking area. Your dog walker should keep a written record of your details and agree a contract with you so there is no confusion about when your payment is due, cancellation charges, notice of holidays etc.

I am not a dog walker but my friend is and these are some of the things she does. She often frequently points out dog walkers round our way that walk too many dogs or who have all dogs together in the vans and not crated. According to her, this renders the insurance nul and void.

A dog walker who has completed animal first aid might be desirable too.

Torin. and rona like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Honestly?

I’d say wait until your kids are older and your job is settled.

Puppies are lots of hard work and it takes a good while before they can be left for any length of time and rescues are an unknown entity.

I waited, and integrating my rescue into the home was a breeze really, although I wasn’t working either.

There are so many places kids want to go where dogs aren’t allowed and there is always some party or school or sport activity to keep you busy with kids ime.

Pets are often a very short lived novelty with kids but a dog is a 16+ year commitment.

NFC slave, SusieRainbow and rona like this.
  18. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

It can work, though it would be hard work. Really think about what activities you and your kids want to do, as @Lurcherlad said they don’t always tie in with having a dog. However, we got my first family dog when I was 6 years old and it worked absolutely fine. We already did lots of outdoorsy things so the dog just fit. I didn’t really go to many clubs (maybe once a week I went to brownies when I was older), apart from horse riding but the dog used to come to that and my parents walked it while I had my lesson.

I think a puppy would be hard work when you’re at work all day, it’s a long time till they can be left. I wouldn’t discount a rescue dog though. There are rescues that put their dogs in foster homes so they have more of an idea of what the dog is like in a home life. It may be difficult finding a rescue who will rehome to young children but it would be worth a look.

Personally, I would be wary of getting any change of poodle cross from a breeder, many of these don’t health test etc which is something that they should be doing as standard (there are a few breeders out there who are doing it right but difficult to find one). Also their coats can be quite high maintenance so think if you have time for the care.
    Cocker spaniels are very popular dog for families but some can be prone to resource guarding issues so I would research that and if you get from a breeder ask about whether it has shown in their lines.

As for dog walkers. Make sure they are insured, DBS checked and have a certificate in canine first aid (or are looking at going in a course). They should have contracts for you to sign too. Some will walk in smaller groups than others (if that’s desirable to you) so ask how many dogs they take on and ask how they travel their dogs too (should be in crates or at least dogs not from the same household are separated and can’t access each other).

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If you want a greater likelihood of vet bills you could ask for a runt. I'd prefer a normal, healthy dog. The Labrador or Golden Retriever you said you were considering are both very subject to hip and/or elbow dysplasia so only get a puppy whose parents have been tested with above average results. You can find full details of the tests that should be done on the Kennel Club website. You'd be hard put to find a Labradoodle or Cockerpoo breeder that does all the tests - and don't be conned by health checks which are different - a basic once-over at the vet rather than X-rays and DNA swabs.
    And how to navigate work and dogs? I take mine to work with me. I go round doing people's gardens and walk my 3 between gardening jobs.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  20. Ginamulc19

Ginamulc19 PetForums Newbie

I had dogs around since I was 4. I always loved animals I never wanted dolls or anything like that Is was just anything animal. And we Never had a problem with going anywhere. My parents would look after the dog and family would mind her whenever we went away on holidays. I actually think it’s better if a kid grows up with a dog it teachs them responsibilities.

Now I’m in my 20s doing a job that I love with animals and also having time for my own.

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice