Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I want my dog's offspring before he gets too old!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by roddy1, Mar 3, 2008.

1. roddy1

roddy1 PetForums Newbie

i have a 10 year old golden cocker spaniel, that is still full of life. but before he goes i desparatly want 1 of his offspring and im worried we have left it too late. if any knows of any information or can offer any service please get in touch! photos of him can be sent over email!

2. garryd

garryd Guest

well i was told theres no age limit to a stud dog!?? they can produce pups on there death bed;)

3. roddy1

roddy1 PetForums Newbie

does the sperm and labido not die down though?

4. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Why dont you go back to your dogs breeder or find a breeder who uses the same lines and get a dog from the same strain?? I think you'll be lucky to find someone with a suitable, health tested bitch who will want a 10 year old stud dog - please dont take offence at that comment - its not meant as a slight on your dog:)

5. garryd

garryd Guest

hello jo p missed ya !;) What the diference on how old the stud dog is :confused: my stud dog is 8yrs,and most of the breeders on here i have spoke to use stud dogs of all ages,tashi has used a stud dog at 12yr old ! and shes a very good breeder;)

6. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Thats just my opinion Garry;) - besides the fact that the sperm count does deteriorate as the dog gets older:cool:

7. garryd

garryd Guest

my spem counts fine :Dwant some:eek::D

8. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

tut tut Garry - you did miss me didnt ya:p

9. garryd

garryd Guest

you know i like your ankels jo:D

10. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

At 10 years of age and unproven he will need a sperm count check at the vets to be sure. Is he health tested? Also are you wanting to use him on the same breed or any breed?
    I am sorry to say but I doubt anyone would want to use a 10 year old unproven dog. Try getting back in touch with the breeder of your boy and ask if they have any pups due from the same lines.

11. roddy1

roddy1 PetForums Newbie

only thing is we got him from battersea n although we have breeding papers i feel they would be hard 2 trace. we did want a block coloured cocker bitch if possible and i think ur ryt, most breeders probably woodnt be interested. but if u no of any1 please let me no..

12. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

Dont Battersea have a neutering policy for their dogs?????????? If not I'm absolutely gob smacked.

13. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

yeah i was thinking that!!i`m pretty sure all charitys nueter all animals before rehoming them,at least we do!!!

14. roddy1

roddy1 PetForums Newbie

no he wasnt done, we got him from a puppy.. is it rly bad then for them to breed if their from charities then?

15. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

well as you have no history about him,it wouldn`t be a good idea,golden cockers don`t have a great reputation(rage syndrome).then theres all the health problems they have,although if at his age his sight is still good,thats one out of the way.As already stated good breeders wouldn`t be willing to use an unproven dog.It would probably be best to leave it

16. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

You could go and look up some Cocker Breeders with a view to buying a puppy in time. I dont know any Cocker Breeders so cannot help you there but if you go on the KC website I am sure the Clubs will put you in touch with a reputable breeder. Thats the only way to go with this I am afraid - most good breeders wouldnt use an unproven dog and he may be past his prime anyway - so look at buying a puppy :)

17. Angelicats

Angelicats PetForums Junior

It`s one thing to use a proven stud dog at 10 years old. But another to start to use an unproven dog at 10 years old. Really it is not the right thing to do .

Jo P likes this.
  18. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

i wish you luck with what ever you do.
    its nice you want to keep his line going.
    a health check is a good idea.
    i have not seen any age limit for a stud dog only for a bitch.
    i wish you well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice