UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Hugo now for about 6 months, he in my opinion is the best dog i have ever had, and also the first cross breed i have ever owned.
I am now thinking of buying another one but the problem i face is this.
If i buy a puppy i think Hugo will be a bit of a clumsy lump around it, and i would be scared that something would happen to the puppy also i have decided i want to go for the same cross breed i have now which altho quite common is still not that easy to find. But trying to find a older dog is a nightmare, quite often they are getting re homed for a reason and more often than not the old owners are not truthful.
Should i just stick to the one dog, or get another one. I have thought of all the extra problems i could face and none of them seem to be that much of a issue i could not solve. The only problem i could face that would make owning 2 dogs is of they dont get on, Hugo has no problems with any other dogs and loves company but i fear the other may not be the same so the 2 dogs meeting each other would be a must!
Do you have any advice, or perhaps other breeds of dogs that might be suited to me. I am very set on the idea of getting another Doberman x rotti but would be open to getting a different breed with similar characteristics to what i have in Hugo. I want something similar in size, i have thought perhaps a boxer but know very little about the breed. Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If I was you, I'd be tempted to make contact with helpful local rescues and explain what you're looking for, and see what comes in - you could probably get a similar sized/temperament of dog, and they could meet and spend time together until you were happy that they got on well? I am considering the idea of another dog so I am currently fostering for a rescue, and if one fits in too well here to pass on - I'll know I've made the right choice!

The reason I say this, is that there are probably loads of breeds that would meet your requirements, but if you don't really mind and just want a largeish dog that would be a great pet and friend for your current one, it seems like the most logical option. Rescues do often have puppies, and young dogs, and with a slightly older one, you can see a little of the personality of the dog you're adopting before you make that move.

It's hard to buy cross breed puppies that have had the relevant health tests etc, so if a rescue isn't your thing I would look for a reputable breeder of a specific breed like a rottie, doberman, or boxer ... or any other that you are interested in and do some research by taking to them and meeting their dog to help you make a decision :) You could maybe visit the Discover Dogs section of Crufts to check out a range of breeds and speak to people about them if you fancy a pedigree puppy but are not sure which one is right for you?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been to the rescues near me, most of the dogs at the rescue, especially the much bigger dogs had to be homed with children over 8 or 11, and as i have a 4 year old they would not even consider me for any of the dogs i might have considered.
The other dogs had requirements such as being homed as the only pet in the home. I have asked them to keep me in mind and they have said that will be fine, they also showed me a couple of dogs they thought would be a better fit for the family but they were all much smaller dogs, and i am a big dog person myself. Or collies, they had a few collies that they said would be fine, but as i spent most of my childhood chasing after our collie who was forever escaping i have kind of been put off ever owning one again lol.
So altho i would love a rescue dog, (hugo himself was sent back to the breeder and if he had not have had him back he would have been in a rescue himself) i dont hold much hope in being able to adopt one from the rescue. :001_unsure:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I have been to the rescues near me, most of the dogs at the rescue, especially the much bigger dogs had to be homed with children over 8 or 11, and as i have a 4 year old they would not even consider me for any of the dogs i might have considered.
The other dogs had requirements such as being homed as the only pet in the home. I have asked them to keep me in mind and they have said that will be fine, they also showed me a couple of dogs they thought would be a better fit for the family but they were all much smaller dogs, and i am a big dog person myself. Or collies, they had a few collies that they said would be fine, but as i spent most of my childhood chasing after our collie who was forever escaping i have kind of been put off ever owning one again lol.
So altho i would love a rescue dog, (hugo himself was sent back to the breeder and if he had not have had him back he would have been in a rescue himself) i dont hold much hope in being able to adopt one from the rescue. :001_unsure:
I wouldn't give up if you like the idea, I felt the same way when looking for a first dog - but due to working not a child, SOS Animals Dogs for adoption | SOS Animals UK have a range of all shapes and sizes and flexible rehoming policies, including rehoming with kids, and the rescue I help with does the same Welcome to Oakwood Dog Rescue both rehome nationally, and have new dogs pretty much every day! (as I am sure do many others) there is a way to make it work, if you want it to.

Don't know about breed rescues though as don't have much experience.

Definitely worth persevering and bearing in mind if its something you wanted to do.
Naomi x

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou so much for the links to the different rescues, i have been looking on their website and really like the look of a few of them so i think i might give them a ring, and let them know that i am considering getting another dog, to see what they recommend. Toffee on the sos animals looks adorable.
I was starting to think i would never be able to get a rescue dog as the requirements can be so hard to reach.
Quite looking forward to giving them a ring tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Like I said, I'm sure that there are more, they are just two I know of as I have thought about adopting a dog from SOS and help with the other one, and if Oakwood didn't have the right dog in at the moment, they probably would soon - there are always lots of dogs coming in. Another thing with Oakwood, is that the dogs are fully assessed so you'd know what you were getting!

I don't know where in the country you are, but other people might know of others to approach too :)

Naomi x

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have had Hugo now for about 6 months, he in my opinion is the best dog i have ever had, and also the first cross breed i have ever owned.
I am now thinking of buying another one but the problem i face is this.
If i buy a puppy i think Hugo will be a bit of a clumsy lump around it, and i would be scared that something would happen to the puppy also i have decided i want to go for the same cross breed i have now which altho quite common is still not that easy to find. But trying to find a older dog is a nightmare, quite often they are getting re homed for a reason and more often than not the old owners are not truthful.
Should i just stick to the one dog, or get another one. I have thought of all the extra problems i could face and none of them seem to be that much of a issue i could not solve. The only problem i could face that would make owning 2 dogs is of they dont get on, Hugo has no problems with any other dogs and loves company but i fear the other may not be the same so the 2 dogs meeting each other would be a must!
Do you have any advice, or perhaps other breeds of dogs that might be suited to me. I am very set on the idea of getting another Doberman x rotti but would be open to getting a different breed with similar characteristics to what i have in Hugo. I want something similar in size, i have thought perhaps a boxer but know very little about the breed. Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Id go for a rottie puppy, CJ is a clumbsy sod and when we god maddie she did suffer being fallen on and squised a few times but she was big enough to handle it, although when she was very little they were only allowed together when we were supervising, rest of the time they were seperated by a baby gate.

I would also suggest going for a puppy of the opposite sex as your alot less likely to have issues between them

I havent read the rest of the thread yet but how old is hugo?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Id go for a rottie puppy, CJ is a clumbsy sod and when we god maddie she did suffer being fallen on and squised a few times but she was big enough to handle it, although when she was very little they were only allowed together when we were supervising, rest of the time they were seperated by a baby gate.

I would also suggest going for a puppy of the opposite sex as your alot less likely to have issues between them

I havent read the rest of the thread yet but how old is hugo?
Hugo is just about to turn a year old, he is generally very well behaved altho sometimes he has the odd relapse :D Like this evening for instance when he took a wee inside the house, something he has not done once since i have had him, still scratching my head in confusion over that lol

He is dobbi x rotti and i love the mix, its like having a thicker set dobermann with a rotti personality. He is just such a heavy lump, he is already weighing in at 90lbs and bounds around the house like a bull in a china shop. I would be soo worried that he would cause a puppy injury. He iis fine with my mums chihuahua's but they dont really play with him like a puppy would because there old and grumpy lol. I wonder if a excited puppy and hugo would just lead to accidents and have nowhere to separate the 2 if they were not to get on.

G

·
If you don't have a cat, this dog sounds lovely. Not rottie/dobe X but a big grin when you see him.

Butch (Foal Farm, Biggin Hill, Kent) » Oldies Club

What area? This older rottie girl...

Rhea (Maxicare Dog Rehoming, Northamptonshire) » Oldies Club

The advantage of older dogs, is their personality and kindness - or not, is established. If you choose well, from a rescue that fosters, they can tell you what the dog is like, they will be civilised, often housetrained, and calmer and less likely to have chewing festivals

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hugo is just about to turn a year old, he is generally very well behaved altho sometimes he has the odd relapse :D Like this evening for instance when he took a wee inside the house, something he has not done once since i have had him, still scratching my head in confusion over that lol

He is dobbi x rotti and i love the mix, its like having a thicker set dobermann with a rotti personality. He is just such a heavy lump, he is already weighing in at 90lbs and bounds around the house like a bull in a china shop. I would be soo worried that he would cause a puppy injury. He iis fine with my mums chihuahua's but they dont really play with him like a puppy would because there old and grumpy lol. I wonder if a excited puppy and hugo would just lead to accidents and have nowhere to separate the 2 if they were not to get on.
as said with a pupoy its less likely to end up with fall outs, tho I would wait 6-12 months if your gonna get a puppy, our two are 6 months apart and CJ is in the middle of adolescence and I am living in fear of maddie hiting it too, they are bad enough now, shes perfect on her own, but throw CJ into the mix and they lead eachother into mischief, plus all the play fighting means anything at floor level needs to be solid.

An older bitch might be an idea, and probably be a good influence instead of bad, with a 12 month old its probably the easier option

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't have a cat, this dog sounds lovely. Not rottie/dobe X but a big grin when you see him.

Butch (Foal Farm, Biggin Hill, Kent) » Oldies Club

What area? This older rottie girl...

Rhea (Maxicare Dog Rehoming, Northamptonshire) » Oldies Club

The advantage of older dogs, is their personality and kindness - or not, is established. If you choose well, from a rescue that fosters, they can tell you what the dog is like, they will be civilised, often housetrained, and calmer and less likely to have chewing festivals
Butch looks amazing, just my type of dog lol, just such a shame he is so far away! Maybe i will get talking to my partner :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its making me feel so sad looking at the amount of poor little dogs that are in these rescues i have been sent links too. It so sad seeing the same breeds over and over again in these rescues.
I just want a massive house and lots of money now to put all these dogs in :(
Not sure what Hugo would think of that idea

G

·
Did you notice there is a section on the side of the dogs at oldies, from all around the country, good with children, good with doge, etc.,

This old boy tugs at my heartstrings, altho he doesn't have the look you love, but he has the nobility of the loving gentle dog, forever overlooked.

George (Brookfield Farm Kennels, Derby) » Oldies Club

Another wrong look but a gentle soul who would make your heart swell with protective love

http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=76057

Annie may suit, boxer X dog/child lover

http://www.oldies.org.uk/?p=74910

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.