Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I want an English Bull Terrier ......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cloud&JaysMum, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

:D

I have decided to start doing some homework ....... I will be 40 in 2 and a bit years :eek::eek::eek: and I am seriously thinking of asking hubby for an English Bull Terrier :D ...... I am thinking by then Skye will be 3 (just over) ...... and if we are lucky to still have Jasper he will be almost 16 (to be fair if we do still have Jasper I will most certainly put off getting another pup ... I will just have a belated 40th birthday present :D ) .......

there is a small point to this thread ... honest .......... :D:D I have just been doing a little reading and it suggests that EBT are probably best with slightly older children due to there nutty, fearless and totally mad temperament ..... what would you considered older children ........ in 2 and half years my small man will be almost 6 years old ...... just wondering now if I might have to put back my dreams of owning one till I am 45 :eek::eek::eek: :crying:

thoughts please :)

O and any other useful bits of info about the breed would be good too :) Thanks xx

2. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

I was 6 when my parents got our first bullie, and I survived. Punch had an amazing ability to adjust his play so that he was quite gentle with us children but would crank it up when playing with my dad. Having said that I would say slighlty older children (8-10) would probably be better

As for other advise, I would do as much research as you can. EBTs are really like no other dog, its more like having a 3 year old child in your house then a dog. You’re going to need endless patients.

it would be a good idea to meet some bullies and their owners as well, the two bullie rescues (bullies in need and Bullies SOS) both do regular walks which for a small donation anyone is welcome to attend. the walks are a great opportunity to meet other bullie owners and their dogs

#2 Spud the Bull Terrier, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

My first dog when i left home was an ebt she could be funny with some people but i had a 2 year old daughter and she absolutely adored her they are a great breed even tho they do think they are human !!!:D

4. amymay01

amymay01 PetForums Member

I would personally class younger children as under 5 years old (this does depend on the child though) , I own a stafford who grew up up with my son, my son was 6 months old when we got cookie who was 8 weeks.
    My sons now five and I can hand on heart say we've never had a problem :)
    All the EBT,s ive come across have been really laid back I think its just a case of training ect...........very jealous id love a EBT!!!!! lots of pics when you get one :D

5. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I love EBTs! I've never owned one, nor do I really know much about them but I know they are prone to a few health issues, so if you're looking for a puppy then I'd say its definitely important to go for a well respected breeder who health tests their puppies. I believe they're prone to skin issues, epilepsy, hypothyroidism and eye problems. Again, I don’t know a lot, but I believe the whites tend to have the most health problems?

I love to give the EBTs a cuddle at Discover Dogs and similar events :001_tt1:

6. Cloud&JaysMum

Cloud&JaysMum PetForums Senior

That sounds like a fab idea ....... will have to do some research to see if there are any bullie owners in my area ......... :D

Thanks everyone for your input I will certainly bare it all in mind :D

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

:D:D:D:D:D:D ello!!

never had a problem with any of mine with children...in fact they have all loved children...Buster was our first bullie and he was there way before any children came along..and when they did he was just perfect :D..then we got mavis ..our daughter was 4...they were best friends and still are...Ozzy in between was also just perfect :D

as long as the child understands not to move when the dog does a bullie run...they will be just fine ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice