Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I want a pet that tick

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by LapisOre, Jul 5, 2017.

1. LapisOre

LapisOre Invertebrate Enthusiast, Mantis Master

2. LapisOre

I mean I want a pet tick

3. LapisOre

Idk how I would raise it and lol but I like arachnids especially dangerous ones.

4. danielled

danielled Guest

No you don't want a pet tick. They are a pest. We on here try and avoid ticks.

5. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

A tick would not be a good choice for a pet. It would need to feed on either your blood or that of another animal. In feeding the tick can pass on disease or cause infection.

I remember, as a youngster, my mum removing head lice from my hair and I really loved them! I found all invertebrates absolutely fascinating (still do in fact) and kept lots of creatures I found. I desperately wanted to keep the head lice as pets and tried for ages to think up a way to make it work. My mum, quite sensibly, said absolutely not!

A spider would make an interesting pet but do do some online research first to find out the best type of spider and the right way to keep them. Often, with creatures you find outside, it can be better to keep them for a short time and then release them back where you found them. They don't always do well if kept long term.

I wonder whether there is an entomology society with a junior branch anywhere near where you live. There should certainly be some online that send out regular journals that you might find interesting. Might be worth doing a search.

#5 ameliajane, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Calvine likes this.
  6. LapisOre

Lol ok. I know a lot about insects and spiders, I know what ticks eat and I know about the diseases they carry, in fact me, my mom AND my sister ALL have lyme disease. We don't think we got it from ticks though....

7. LapisOre

That's why I said I didn't know how to raise it because I would not let it drink my blood. Don't say anything mean, I know a lot more about insects than you think. And spiders too. I just kinda feel like I want a pet tick idk why but I just do

8. LapisOre

I've bred praying mantids before, brought dying creatures back to life, I even raised a crippled praying mantis that had a bad adult molt. That mantis lived over and year and even went with us on a camping trip, even though she was missing like 2-3 legs and her front legs were paralyzed, she couldn't even walk by herself. She had a good life for a crippled mantis anyone else would've probably killed or failed to care for. I am only 12 yrs old but I know what I'm doing.

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Twelve or 16 as on your profile? There's a big difference.

10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That's a relief!!:)

11. danielled

danielled Guest

You can't give 2 ages. You are either 12 or 16 so which one is the truth and which one is a fib.

12. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I have a pet tic(k) :)

On occasion, it lives under my left eye and other times it moves all the way down to my right leg.

It makes it quite a fun experience when out driving.

We tend to compete with each other for speed limits. I prefer to stay within the designated restrictions, whereas he, always wants to exceed those limits.:Facepalm

It's only when the Police are on our tails :Nailbiting that we agree speed is our best ally.

FeelTheBern and Calvine like this.
  13. LapisOre

Lol I'm 12 I accidentally put 16 on my profile and idk how to change it.

14. LapisOre

Do any of u see ticks on a regular basis and if so show me a pic. You should put flea and tick collars on your dog's or give them flea and tick pills and or shots.

15. LapisOre

Ticks can carry lyme disease so you shouldn't let them on your dog

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

No, I don't, but if I find any I'll post them to you!:)

17. LapisOre

Ok. Ticks are rare here in Washington. I've never seen a tick here. Actually I kinda did in a way. It was dead on the back on my neck. I hope that tick didn't give me Lyme disease. I probably have lyme disease and definitely have bartonella.

18. LapisOre

Idk why but I think ticks are cute, and I would NEVER EVER kill one if I saw it.

19. danielled

danielled Guest

That's that cleared up. I protect Buddy from ticks, fleas and worms but doesn't mean a tick won't be found on him. Thankfully not come across any so far.

20. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess someone is bored :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice