Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I use cat litter for my rabbit litter

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Clarissa Boath, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Clarissa Boath

Clarissa Boath PetForums Newbie

Hi, I've had my english rabbit for 3 years now and she's perfectly healthy. I layer her litter as she is a big girl and pee a lot. She never dig her litter tray and never ate any dirty hay so she really doesn't ingest any litter whatsoever.
    Here is the layers of my litter:
    Paper, cat litter, wood shavings, thick layer of barley straw and meadow hay.
    On top of this she has a hay rack and loads of enrichment.
    My question is, should I continue with this method if it works for me?

Attached Files:

2. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

i wouldnt suggest paper on the bottom, when you line the bottom of it with paper bunnies will often pull the paper up and out of the tray and fling all the mucky contents everywhere. i know u said she doesnt dig her tray, but she may one day do this.

the woodshaving isnt necasary as it causes eye infections and respatory issues. and the cat litter should be fine as long as its wood based and has no cat nip in it

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

It sounds like overkill and extra work for you!

for my guys they simply have a layer of newspaper based pellets such as Back2Nature and then hay on top. I don’t bother with paper at the bottom as one of mine LOVES ripping it up.

never use clay based, corn based or clumping type cat litter, these are toxic for rabbits and are unnecessary when there’s safe options available.

newspaper pellet litters are good.

4. Clarissa Boath

Thank you! I just thought I'd get some advice on it since I read a lot about it but as I said I never had any problem with my rabbit. I should change it then

5. Clarissa Boath

Thanks for the advice! It emits no smell at all, that's what I like about it but I should change it if it's bad for her. She is perfectly fine but I dont want any possibility of harm.
    Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice