Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I understand why people do it but....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jamat, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Lunch time today i came out of my office to see a beautiful greyhound bitch tide up outside the co-op next to the office.

I understand why people do it...i wouldn't myself but this was a bit troubling...rather than tie her close to the entrance by the bike stand she was tide to the lamp post at the curb edge.

There was enough loose lead to have allowed the dog to easily step off onto the road.

As most of you know im someone who interferes :) so i untide her and led her gently to the bike stand and tide her up. I stayed with her until the owner....a middle aged lady came out.

I explained what i had done and apologised pointing out that it was a busy junction and her dog if spooked could have stepped into the traffic....she was mortified and said she had tied her there so she wouldn't get in the way of customers .....she actually thanked me :) job well done

But it got me thinking perhaps shops should have tethering hoops outside their shops so those that do leave dogs can secure them in a safe place.....ok daydreaming again :(

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Some shops do have 'dog stops' where there are hoops especially for owners to tie up their dogs. I am also someone who wouldn't leave my dog for fear of someone stealing her, but the option is there for some shops.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don't understand why people do it and wish they wouldn't :(

Pretty stupid to leave a dog right next to a road too IMO

Tbh if I owned a shop, I'd probably put a big sign up outside highlighting the dangers of leaving dogs unattended! ;)

If I see a dog tied up outside somewhere, I usually hang around until the owner comes back (usually obvious cos of the dog's reaction).

ouesi likes this.
  4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I think it depends on where you are really. When I lived in a village I'd pop into a shop to get a pint of milk/bread/whatever if passing, with dog in view at all times, tied up literally a couple of metres from me. I don't consider that particularly risky. Now I live in a town that's a bit rough then clearly I wouldn't.

I remember years I was at Brighton station and there was a GSD type cross tied up to the railings with presumably with it's owner in one of the shops. It was spooked by something and slipped it's harness, luckily I managed to grab it's collar a couple of seconds after it got loose. Not really the best place to leave up a dog, a busy station concourse :confused:

LinznMilly likes this.
  5. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

I am guilty of Nipping into a local shop to get milk or break while out a walk, he is tied to metal hoop right by the door and I am literally only a few minutes, I don't do it often... I think twice now but I am guilty I have done it :/

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Great idea in theory, but in practice, maybe not: my friend put a heavy metal ring on the wall o/s her shop twice and both were stolen...ripped out of the wall leaving a big hole which had to be patched up. She didn't bother putting another one.

7. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

I know someone who had her chi stolen from outside a shop. The dog was missing for months and eventually (I can't remember how it all happened exactly) they were reunited. It was horrific for her at the time though :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Most grocery stores I go to have some sort of poles, hooks or rings for dogs... A small sainsburry's around the corner from my flat just installed a few hoops like that. I only ever left Axel outside once as we were on our way home from a walk and I needed to get some stuff that couldn't wait *cough* toilet paper *cough* I'm not a major fan of the idea of leaving a dog there not only because of the danger of someone walking away with it or some accident involving a moron adult and a naive child happening - I also hate the idea that someone else might leave their dog near mine and something might happen between them.

LinznMilly likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just not worth the risk IMO

If I need to go in a shop I leave Jack at home, and walk him earlier or later.

10. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I think it's a sad world that we live in that we can't tie our dogs up outside a shop for fear of them being stolen, not that I would tie my two up outside a shop as they would cause such a nuisance and whine that I wouldn't dare, but when I was a child I would often walk just over a mile to the local shop with my dog and I would tie her up outside buy my sweets and magazine and walk home, I was only allowed to go because I had the dog and would walk down a wooded byway, but it was a tiny little village so maybe thats the difference, but often their are dogs left outside my local Waitrose.

11. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Not worth the risk to me either. I'm not worried about my dogs being stolen, I'm worried about some idiot doing something and my dogs getting blamed for it.
    Nor would I subject my dogs to any sort of potential harassment or stupidity of passersby.

12. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Tesco's on the Somerset levels has a metal bar / rail the length of the shop specifically for dogs to be tied. They leave water dishes outside too for this purpose. Loads of people walk their dogs on the levels and just pop in to Tescos for what ever they want, and, I guess if they didn't have that facility of being able to tie your dog up outside, they'd lose out by people going elsewhere. I'd actually say the front of the store is designed to leave dogs, there's shade, the rail and water dishes that are topped up frequently.

I walk my dogs on the levels sometimes, but I'd never leave them tied up, I don't even leave them in the car unattended... it only takes one idiot...

LinznMilly likes this.
  13. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I hate them, the loops are too close to each other to leave more than one dog there. I would never leave Dillon tied up anywhere.

lorilu likes this.
  14. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

I was talking about this tonight after leaving a shop and having two muzzled Akitas lunging and growling at me. They were tied to the metal thing where the trolleys are kept and to be honest, if I had used a trolley, I'd have just left it sitting in the carpark. I wouldn't have felt happy going near them as they were clearly not happy about people getting too close. Why would you put your dogs through that stress?

Personally I wouldn't leave my dog outside a shop. Not just because she'd find it very stressful, and I don't think anyone would try and steal her (who'd want a muppet like Phoebe anyway lol) but people are idiots. A young girl pretended to punch her in pets at home last year as she was walking by. If that's what a child is capable of doing while I'm standing there holding the lead, I don't even want to think what they could do if I wasn't there.

planete, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  15. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Many shops and most supermarkets here in Finland have tethering points for dogs and I've used them myself but only for the purpose of an exercise to see how the dogs would react to being left alone for a few minutes.
    It's not dog thefts folks worry about here, it's more the passing drunkard who thinks/fancies himself a dog whisperer. Neither Zara nor Oscar take too kindly to these idiots and will soon tell them where else they can go if they get into their faces.
    Voi, voi, voi! Haista Vittu! Perkele Saatana!.......and off they go all kinda sobered up. :Hilarious

Much to the appreciation of the surrounding crowds.:Smug

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  16. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

This just brought back memories of the time that I was stood outside a supermarket with Holly, waiting for my OH who was in there and a drunk man came over to us and made a fuss of Holly and then asked me if he could have her! What's worse is that he wouldn't take no for an answer and kept saying to Holly "you'd love to come home with me wouldn't you?" - I'm thinking no I'm pretty sure she'd rather come home with us! One of those situations where I'm willing my OH to hurry up so we can go as I couldn't get rid of this man. In the end I started walking home without my OH and the drunk man gave up trying to take Holly off my hands.

17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Yes I've noticed that. It could be carnage leaving two dogs next to each other like that, especially when they can't get away from each other.

18. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I wouldn't leave Pip outside as he would just cry like he needed the RSPCA LOL, most small shops here will serve from the door, i regularly get 2 sandwiches with door service LOL

Lurcherlad likes this.
  19. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

When I was a child I remember seeing tethering hoops outside some shops, if the owner was a dog lover they would leave a bowl of water beside the hoop too.

20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Around here a lot of businesses leave water bowls out for passing dogs.
    It's a nice gesture, but the last thing I want my dogs drinking from is a bowl of shared spit from every other passing dog in the area. :Yuck

cbcdesign, Lurcherlad, Gemmaa and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice