Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think Tilly might be ill.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by tabelmabel, Jan 9, 2019.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

She slept in her crate as normal last night fine.

This morning, she had only been out of the crate 10 mins when she sicked up some yellowy froth. Not too much and she seemed lively as usual so didn't think too much of it.

Been out for exercise. He poos are good and solid. Lively just as normal.

Normally both my dogs get fed after their main exercise about noon. They don't have any breakfast ever. (Odd treat when out)

As we were back about 11.30 today, i didn't do their food as bit early.

So they've both been sleeping.

Then, about 10 mins ago Tilly got up from her nap, walked to the kitchen and sicked up a large amount of the foamy bile stuff.

Very considerate and clever to go to the kitchen as i have carpet in my living room so it has made cleaning easier for sure.

So i have taken all the bedding from her crate and definitely no sick on that.

She is possibly a little more subdued than normal (sleepy maybe) but nothing at all that's causing me to think she is really ill.

There's no food at all in what's come up. It is yellow mucousy foam (very mucousy in fact)

She hasn't eaten any food yet today. I am thinking something light like egg and rice? But i have no eggs in.

I do have white fish. That's gentle isn't it?

Will i try that any see if it stays down?

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

It sounds like hunger pukes. Does she have anything to eat last thing at night like a couple of dry dog biscuits?

Torin., Burrowzig, picaresque and 2 others like this.
  3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Mine get this if they have gone a bit longer than normal waiting for food,I usually find when this happens if I feed them they refuse their food,after something tasty though (slice of ham etc) they wolf their food down:)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I though that too @Siskin but unfortunately it seems she really is ill. She has a large kong full of kibble at bedtime (about 7.30) but last night we went out so she went to bed at 7 and had her full kong then.

She had also been on a 4k run in the hour before bed so hunger pukes would have fitted.

However, she has refused the white fish. She sniffed over the top of it, walked away and settled down. This is absolutely un heard of and she would normally wolf anything like that.

She did come to the kitchen. Will have to keep an eye on her as she seems to be going downhill.

OH said she had a large drink from a pond last night so i am thinking dirty water?

But would that cause sickness a full 14 hrs after drinking?

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Will try something more tempting thanks!

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

What you’ve described sounds like empty tum probs. Although only 30 mins early, it can make a difference.
    Could be it’s unsettled her tum and made her feel unwell hence refusing fish.
    Typically there’s always another option so you don’t know. It could be the pond water. Either way, I try little and often for a while and perhaps a later evening snack.

tabelmabel likes this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Thanks all - i didn't have any ham in but had some sardines so she ate about 3 from my hand. She is a little subdued but hopefully your instincts are right and this is a case of empty tummy and she will be back to normal very soon :)

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Is she showing any sign of pain ? Just wondering about bloat.

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

She doesn't seem to be in pain @SusieRainbow. How do i check that (do i tap her on the side like with a guinea pig and listen for a hollow sound?!)

She has kept those sardines down so far. She does keep moving to new locations to re settle which i know can signal discomfort but that is very typical for her.

She was full of beans this morning running off lead and active with my other dog, murphy.

10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Ive watche dmy vet feel for pain and he gently presses up underneath the dog, along the stomach and intestines and watche the reaction of the dog to see if there is a sign of discomfort. I should imagine the experienced hand of a vet is going to be better at this then us laypersons

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I looked up the symptoms of bloat, one of which seems to be dry heaving. Tilly hasn't got any of those symptoms. She also did 2 normal poops that i saw and picked up this morning so food has been moving normally along the gut since she ate that kibble at 7ish.

I'm wondering if, she wolfed all that kibble at 7 in one go as she would have been hungry after her run.

Most nights she prob eeks it out a bit.

And now i have been thinking about it on a run night normally, she comes in breathless with tongue hanging out but always refuses to drink.

Then about an hour or two later, she barks. I let her out and she has a drink and i think i might re fill her kong at that point on run nights if empty.

I can't recall if i do or not tbh!! But i think this empty tummy theory is most likely.

My vet is only up the road and is open in the evening so if she isn't perking up later, I'll prob pop her along just to be safe

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. I know my chihuahua sicks up yellow froth if he has an empty stomach for a long time, so now I make sure to feed him first thing in the morning and also between 5 and 6 pm, and a biscuit for supper. It has only happened three times (he is two years old). He needs to eat regularly due to being tiny and therefore being prone to low blood sugar.

#12 Deleted member 1482176, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
    tabelmabel likes this.
  13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Do they eat their main meal straight after excercise ?
    Reena had an episode of abdominal pain in September, only vomited once, slight loss of appetite but stools normal. She was so uncomfortable we had a couple of vet visits for pain relief , the vet said it was colic.
    I would take Tilly along to the vet for a check-up.

tabelmabel likes this.
  14. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Oh no - hope she picks up soon.

tabelmabel likes this.
  15. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Hope she’s back to her usual self soon x sorry I’m no help on what it could be!

tabelmabel likes this.
  16. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

If McKenzies hunger pukes are bad she doesn’t feel like eating anything, which starts a viscous circle.

Torin., Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Got a vet appt 6.30. Tills is really subdued. She ate some chicken strips but not drinking at all. Would rather get it checked out during normal surgery hours. This is so unlike her.

@SusieRainbow - yes they always get their main meal around noon. It's been like that for many many months. And then tilly gets a large kong of kibble to go to bed with.

So no change really there to explain these symptoms

18. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hope it’s something simple and she’s feeling better soon.

tabelmabel likes this.
  19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Everything crossed for you.
    Reena says tummy ache is horrible,and she hopes the vet can give you medicine to make you better.

tabelmabel likes this.
  20. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor thing, hope it’s something easily sorted.

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice