Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I Think This Needs Saying.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tanya1989, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Now apologies... but this needs saying. It probably will open a huge can of worms. It is not meant to cause arguments but is meant as a bit of advice especially for new members and/ or new pet owners on this forum, although it will probably benefit the older members too.

Remember this is a forum full of mixed members from all over the world. We have many different types of members from young to old, novice to experienced etc etc. The only thing we all have in common really is pets ( ;) )

I mainly live in the dog forums so I notice it the most there but I'm sure it happens in the others too. There are some posts/ posters that regularly include incorrect information that could cause devistating consequences for your pet. Please, please for the sake of you pet contact a vet if in any doubt, or your breeder if applicable.

Just please remember ANYONE can post on here and it may seem a reliable source, but its not always the case.

Having said all this the majority of members on here are so reliable and experienced I would trust them with my dogs (thats saying something :D ). They are incredibly honest and knowledgable, and those people know I think highly of them.

I love this forum. Its a great place for advice overall. You members ARE wonderful and I love you all dearly, which is why I want to look out for you all.

Give your pets a cuddly tonight and tell them you love them.

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

:thumbup: :thumbup:

3. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Very well said, reputation coming your way. I'm always dubious of advice, so ring the vets if I have ANY worries, I mainly post on the dog place for news and pictures and progress with Inca :)

4. danielled

danielled Guest

Well said you have rep comeing your way I agree with your post.:thumbup:

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Absolutely agree 100%

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Rep coming for you :)

Ive had to ask for advice regrading an allergy to one of my cats and the information from the members here was very helpfull :) But I did mention it to my vet who approved of it as well :)

Ps thanks to all who helped me. We have narrowed her allergy down to the tinned friskies cat food. She did get in some this morning that was left down in the night for Horris and Kira and she now has a rash starting around her lips, so Im 100% it was the tinned food.

#6 Miss.PuddyCat, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Well said :)

In these sort of places, you should always be vigilant about everyone and back up any advice given before taking it.

As much as this place feels like a second home to many of us, we've gotta remember that ultimately we are talking to strangers who may not always be what they seem and you've just gotta be careful :)

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone... I am drugged up so I dodn't know if it would come out right lol :blush:

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't see how any of your post could have been taken the wrong way so no worries ;)

10. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

The only advice that people can really rely on without having to see a vet is on fishkeeping, as there are very few vets that actually deal with aquatic-related problems.

However, as always, all advice (even from so-called experts) should be taken with a pinch of salt and second opinions should always be sought.

11. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

TBH i take a pinch of salt with most things that are said on here :confused:

and with certain peeps its a very large pinch :confused1:

CheatingRabbit likes this.
  12. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Good post Tanya and very true. A vet should be a worried owners first port of call anyway, especially if a dog is ill or injured.:cool:

13. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Very good post I wouldn't trust anything from people on health for something major they would be straight to the vets. Something minor and the advice sounded sensible I might

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Even the minor stuff in some peoples cases people are making things up as they go along.

15. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Like I said if it sounds sensible I have an idea of how to fix the minor stuff anyway but you should be wary

17. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Absolutely - you are coherent even on drugs Tanya. :thumbup:

This is a great place to come for a chat, but ultimately as tanya said, we are all strangers with only our love of animals in common. It is easy to be taken in by some people - I had no idea about SN until it was almost over. I had read a lot of her posts and thought it was good advice - in retrospect she could have copied it from a book or another post (as others have done) and not understood a word of it herself.

If in any doubt we should seek professional advice from our vet or trusted dog professional. It doesn't harm to ask on here, as long as you don't take it as gospel.

#17 alaun, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  18. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Drugged or not - makes a lot of sense that what most of us take for granted is put in black and white.

Since joining I have had fantastic advice (mainly in the doggie section because it concerned my pup) which has helped lots but even the best advice can go awry without hands on experience.

19. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

:lol: :thumbup: me too mate :D

20. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Well said my dear! I think people should always go to their vets if they are at all worried. :thumbup:

I have previously been quite shocked at the things that are asked on here without seeking veterinary help first THEN asking opinions on here!! Which is what i tend to do! :eek: :scared:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice