Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think Rosie has abandoned the babies.. HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by srhdufe, Aug 10, 2009.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

She hasnt been in the nest once today...
    She is sleeping in her hippo toy at the opposite end to the nest where the babies are...
    What do i do? I know i cant touch them yet but i'm worried about them...

Help please!!???

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Are the babies sqeaking, they will sqeak when they are hungry? Also (sorry to say this) but are you sure they are still alive?

3. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I heard a couple of squeaks earlier on but not for a few hours..

Do you think its best to open the house and check on them?
    It's just that if i do and they are still alive then i run the risk of her killing them if i get my scent on them :confused:

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I just took the hippo out and checked it... she definately didnt move them to be with her...
    I've removed it now and she went back in the nest for a sec but keeps looking for the hippo
    Am i being cruel by removing it?

5. thedogsmother

To be honest successfully hand rearing such young hamsters (especially dwarfs) would be very unlikely so if you did find live babies in there what could you do? I would wait, did she ignore the sqeaks earlier? If you do decide to lift the roof of the house for a check I would put some lovely food in for mum so she is distracted and make sure you rub your hands in the shavings first. I really hope she hasn't left them and they are fine. I would definately keep the hippo out, Spike couldn't use her beloved wheel for four weeks as that is where she made her nest so I think Rosie can do without her hippo.

6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I've just heard another squeak..
    She will not go into the nest though... She went in for a second or two but then came back out and is now trying to go to sleep under a mound of shavings :rolleyes:

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

She didnt ignore the squeaks earlier...
    And last night i was watching her and everytime they squeaked she ran to them
    I will just lift the roof off... I'll prob have to leave it off though as its a sod to click back on :rolleyes:

8. thedogsmother

Have you tried sending a pm to Zoe, she has bred dwarf hamsters before. Spike was very straight forward so I can't offer too much advice.

9. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

have you been in the cage at all since you believe she had the babies ???

how long ago was it since you last heard squeks ??

what is rosie doing at the moment ?

when did she last go in the nest ?

10. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Are you 100% sure has even had babies?

11. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Yes i have been in the cage to feed her and change her water...
    I heard a couple of squeaks an hour or so ago..
    She went back to the nest an hour or so ago and has not come out since..
    I did remove her hippo she was sleeping in though, to encourage her back to the nest..

99.9% sure

12. ....zoe....

thats a relief then :)

i would leave her be now and keep noise to a minimum.
    when you do go in the cage i would scatter food on the floor as if she gets disturbed and comes out 2 see whats going on then she will get distracted by the food around her.

but i wouldnt go in the cage till tomorow afternoon time
    also are you giving rosie some nice high protein foods ???

have you been to p@h and complai

13. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I wont need to go in the cage til tomorrow now as i've changed her water and given her lots of food..
    I've given her some scrambled egg and a bit of cheese...
    I've given the other dwarf some too as she could also be pregnant :rolleyes:

I have been to p@h and told them but i have to wait to see the manager tomorrow.. I doubt they'll do anything though

14. ....zoe....

good good you are doing a great job by the sounds of it :D

:eek: another pregnant dwarf ??? where did you get her from ? P@H again by any chance ?? lol

have you got a good weighing scales ??

you can also give them some nice fresh fruit and veg (small amounts though) i also give mine porriage but made with lactol milk
    are you using milk in the scrambled egg ??

i doubt it too, if they offer to take the babies off you when they are old enough then DONT as the same will jus happen to them !!!!

where do you live by the way ??

15. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I got her in paws for thought.. I was in there talking to a girl who works there and a woman came in with a shoebox.. 3 dwarfs were inside..
    She said she didnt want them and asked them to take them but they only had room for 2 of them.. She was going to dump her outside next to the dual carriageway :cursing:
    Anyways... i ended up with her.. The petshop rang me though and informed me that the other two in the box are boys... She only looks to be about 6-7 weeks, but she is quickly gaining weight :rolleyes:

I havent got any digital scales... the ones i have are not very accurate :rolleyes:
    I put a tiny bit of milk in but it's cows milk... What milk is ok for them? Would kitten milk be ok?
    I've put a few tiny bits of carrot in there... Rosie seems to like it

I live in Leeds...
    I deff will not give p@h the babies... They dont look after any of the animals they sell properly imo :rolleyes:

16. ....zoe....

awwwww bless her little cotton socks, you will have to be very careful and keep a good eye on her as she is extremly young to be breed, but yes theirs a good chance thats she is pregnant as they can mate at 4-5 weeks of age.

as they can mate at around 4-5 weeks and she is about 6-7 weeks there is a good chance that she will be due quite soon especially if she is gaining weight quickly at the moment as its usually near the end of the gestation period that they pile on the pounds.

i would sugesst trying to get some good digital scales. i got mine from amazon they are a small pocket scales and was around £10 and gives the weight to every 1g so very accurate.

cows milk is very bad for them and will give her dirrohea you need to be either giving her goats milk or getting some lactol puppy powdered milk - kitten milk is also fine though.

yeh they always like carrot, also apple, peppers, rassberrys, blueberries.
    you could also try and get some live mealworms as these are high in protein and fat which she will need quite a lot of at the moment to produce good milk for the young.

i agree with your opinion extremly. i wish i could go in there some times and tell every customer that is buying animals exactly what is wrong with them or what they will need. i wish i could go and take all their animals off them aswel, makes me sooooo angry and annoyed !!!!!!

17. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Live mealworms??? :scared:
    I do not do well with bugs... :frown2:

I will try though... Shall i give one to each of them or wait to see if Misty is actually pregnant?

18. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I can give her lots (not all at once, obviously) of fresh veg and fruit.. we grow lots in our garden, so i know they are all chemical free and very fresh

19. ....zoe....

with the mealworms i would give about 3 to rosie say every 3 days and give just one to misty instead of 3 and when you are pretty sure she is then increase it.

with the fruit and veg try not to give them too much to start with and make sure you rinse them under the tap to remove and bird poo, insects ect.

my dad goes his own veg aswel its great im always nicking things without him knowing lol.

i also give mine apple tree branches to keep them busy and give them something to knaw on :D they love them !

i would say give them dired mealworms but the protein and fat has really gone in these so not much point really. if they just take them off you and stick them striaght in their pouch try to make them fight for it first until they break it in half and then give it to them. quite disgusting but ensures the worms dont nibble their pouches :p

you can prob tell that i have pretty strong stomach

20. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Yes... I seem to remember the thread last night about your "puppy"...
    I couldnt sleep for ages... I kept thinking i had something crawling on me...

Leo and Blackie love apple tree branches... Lucky isnt so sure and i haven't tried Jim with them yet...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice