Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think not..

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by we love bsh's, Aug 23, 2013.

1. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

2. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Well ... Even I know that's wrong ... And am rubbish

I wonder if mum is only showing small amounts of tortie as isnt tabby dominate over tortie

The reason I say this as one of my tortie tabs kits is more tabby than tortie , she only has a slight pink paw edge and small amounts of tortie ... But to look at her if you didnt know her background you would say she is a full tabs

Is this right are am I barking up the wrong tree...

3. we love bsh's

I guess some dont have alot of tortie,there was one at the show last year was/should have been a choc tortie point but looked choc point but genetically it had to be a tortie,so must have had a red hair somewhere.

4. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Maybe a quick nice email just asking if they have pics of mum and dad - cos those kittens didn't come out of a blue and a blue tabby.

5. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Also look at rubes .... You would just say tabby ...

So in this case I would say that they don't know anything about genetics ..

Well it's a defo mixed colour pmsl ..... I may use that in one of my ads lol

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

tortie is coat COLOUR and tabby is a coat PATTERN - neither is dominant to the other, it's random how much red/ cream a cat will have, and on a tortie tabby that tabby will be all over, on a tortie only red/cream will show tabby.

7. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Dominate was probably the wrong word .. Prominent or less prominent ...

Probably totally off subject. Can two agouti colourpoints have non agouti offspring

Also would a tortie girl always have tortie girls in her litter ... Or is this only if bred to red/cream males

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yes to number one
    and no to number two

Agouti can carry non agouti and unless you test you won't know for sure - so two agouti carrying non agouti can produce non agouti.

A tortie girl may have tortie girls in her litter, even with a red/cream dad she may only produce red/ cream if the gene fairy mucks about, or she may produce torties too. No certains (in this case) from a tortie girl.

9. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Thanks spid ... I can remember us taking about the agouti genes but could not find the thread ...,

Always been a bit unsure about Torties... So thanks for clearing that up in my head

10. we love bsh's

your only what a year in,you will get in in time and you will always be learning something new,me too and thats 3 years in.:)

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Think of it this way -

a tortie girl has two colours she can give to her kittens - black or red (ignore the dilute stuff that's an add on).

so kittens from a tortie will either be given the red gene or the black gene.

So if dad isn't red (effectively black)

then girl kittens will either - get a red gene from mum and a black gene from dad (and be tortie) OR a black gene from them both (and be black).

If Dad is red

then girl kittens with either get a red gene from mum and a red gene from dad (and so be red) OR a black gene from mum and a red gene from dad (and be tortie)

When thinking about genetics - keep it simple to begin with and take it back to basics for things like this. Later on you can think about dilutes etc.

12. we love bsh's

Cosmil print stuff like the above off and stick it on a fridge or something and re read it if you walk past it and the penny will drop :)

13. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

It so much easier when people put it in simple terms

Am ok with the colours and dilutes ... It's tabby and tortie mess with my head

I have tortie tabby girls and a tabby boy..

I was really surprise with Rosie's litter ... One tortie 3 tortie tabby and a tabby ... Tabby is so strong ... Am not disappointed I just didnt expect it in 4 of them

14. we love bsh's

and thats the gene fairy for you :)

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It's not that the tabby is strong, it's that it is dominant - and are you sure both mum and dad carry non agouti?

Even if one parent is non agouti or carries non agouti - if the other is homozygous for agouti (two gens) then all the kittens will be tabby. Even with two tabby cats both carrying non agouti 75% of the kittens will be tabby, one self and one tabby carrying non agouti and 50% will still be tabby.

Is the boy the cream? ANd in that case are you sure he is tabby? given that red and cream show tabby even when a self? What colour is his nose?

And of course the gene fairy likes to muck things up - the chances of me getting all dilutes/ recessive genes in this litter were tiny - but it happened.

16. we love bsh's

may be mis reading here but both parents are dilute.Yes it was the dad who was cream.:)

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Yep misreading - that was for MY litter.

18. we love bsh's

Ah i see ill shut up then :D

19. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Bloody good idea that mrs

20. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Mum blue tortie tabby colourpoint ... Dad cream self

All kittens are female ....

The cream kit is defo classic tabby ..

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice