Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i think my ferret is about to give birth!!

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by lulabell, Jun 30, 2010.

1. lulabell

lulabell PetForums Junior

hey every one,
    im pretty sure my rescue ferret i got the sunday before last is pregnant as going to give birth any time now! any advice would be good i think im pretty much sorted.
    thanks xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. rona

rona Guest

Good luck.
    Best to leave them alone unless there are problems.

3. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Has she built a nest? , you could give her some cat milk to keep her calcium up too.

4. lulabell

thanks im not sure shes made a nest in the welping box i made her but she just wants 2 get out of the cage we only got her the sunday before last she was already pregnant we thought she was spayed so its been abit of a shock i dont think shes had the time to make a nest its abit worrying hopefully she will be ok :D

5. poppydog1

We got a new ferret, didnt know she was pregnant a week later had 10 kits sadly she lost them all we think she was very stressed, best thing is just to leave your girl alone you will know if she has had any as you can hear them squeeking.:)

6. lulabell

thanks i hope mine dosent loose them but if its not ment to be then i cant do anything about it she seems to be thinner today lol but her vulva is still really swollen

7. rona

rona Guest

Are you sure she's not in season?

8. lulabell

i dont think she is but then again im no expert im taking her 2 the vets on monday if nothing happens this weekend i think shes pregnant but who knows :S

9. poppydog1

You can tell when ther in season there vulvas are really swollen, dont know if it would be so swollen if pregnant ours definatly looked different about a week after she had young so we had to get her put out of season

10. rona

rona Guest

Let us know how you get on

11. poppydog1

Forgot to say its best not to handle in late stages of pregnancy, hope all goes well keep us posted.:)

12. FourFerrets

FourFerrets PetForums Member

If her vulva is enlarged, surely that means she is in season?
    They do go down if mated and brought out of season.
    Has she had a jill-jab? That can cause some jills to have a phantom pregnancy, all the swelling and hormonal behaviour of a pregnant ferret but nothing really there.

13. lulabell

no babies yet, shes still acting very strange mothing and nest building her vulva is still swollen but does not smell musky or of anything at all. it does not look like an in season vulva not as big but definaltely is not normal. i think i may see if she can be scanned if they think she could be so we know what we are dealing with. she is going to the vet 2morrow so i shall let you know how it goes and what is going on with our little smudgey.
    i dont think the other two miss her too much hehe she was licking them lots and lots and waking them up and trying to drag them to different places so they are in the mansion and our lady is in the bungalo.
    thanks

14. lulabell

hi
    when we got her and her friend from a rescue the sunday before last we were told she was spayed when we questioned him about it he did not personally spay her he was told she was so it could be a phantom or a real one. she is seperated from the others and we are hands off but keeping an eye on her she has been on her own since last friday her vulva became swolen about 3 days ago. the only thing telling me she is not in season is there is no bleeding.. yet and no smell and it does not look like thee same as a vulva with an in season ferret. if she does come into season or this is a phantom she will be spayed as soon as i can and il keep ann eye on the other one. i did have a feel of her tummy and i felt something when her vulva first became swollen it felt like a little lump.

we will find out hopefully tomorrow i want to rule out any illnesses.
    thanks

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

give her some meadow hay she will soon make a nest, as someone else mentioned give her kitten milk too. or even better Lactol Kitten replacer. Is she fat? How long have the rescue had her? they carry young for 42-44 days (6 weeks) the young are born small blind and totally dependant on their mum. It is advised to leave her alone some jills that feel threatened will eat her kits. I wouldn't personally take her to a vet, save her the stress, Treat her like she is pregnant. What do you feed her?

#15 DKDREAM, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  16. lulabell

to be honest she looks like shes lost weight and arround her vulva is damp she went crazy in the cage and got out and decided she liked the draw with the t shirts in so ive had to put her in the carry cage for now untill we can completely secure the new cage but she has settled down in the carry cage i am worried about her i dont like messing with her but she insists on trying to escape so i have 2 pick her up and put her some where safe and i cant belive pets at home sell such awfull cages never again!!

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

a normal rabbit hutch would do the job perfectly. The bellies can change shape during pregnancy

18. lulabell

hey every one,
    i took her to the vets it was a phantom and shes come into season after it so she is off to be spayed on thursday:D glad she is not poorly and im glad there are no babies as there are lots of nice fuzzys looking for homes thanks for all the advice!!

19. rona

rona Guest

That's good, pity you have the expense though

20. lulabell

its a shame but the rescue are going to pay for it hopefully but i want it done at my vets as they are exotic and did a great job on my other two babies and the after care was free:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice