Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i think my cat is too young!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bekki_s, Jun 20, 2010.

1. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

i got a kitten today and he is 7 week's, but i've read that this could be too young. the woman i got him off said she'd had him a few weeks. He is very clingy and won't leave me alone for a second. No matter what i do, he's there. He's quite small too, and very whiney if you know what i mean, if i leave him for a second he goes mad.
    Is he too young or is he just very loving?

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww bless him, do you have a picture of him, is he eating and drinking ok, i think the earliest most people let them go is 8 weeks, but most breeders keep them until about 12 or 13 weeks, did you get him from the breeder,:)..:)...

3. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

i do have a picture of him, but i don't know how to post it on here. He seems to be, he is a bit funny with drinking though. No, i got him off a friend who got him from someone else a few weeks ago.

4. colliemerles

To attach a photo to a post click on the little paperclip which will bring up another window to upload from your computer click on 'browse' find the picture you want left click on picture and then upload, once uploaded close the window click on the paperclip again and then click on the uploaded image - you should then have your photo in your post ,
    he sounds like he left his mum much to early bless him, and as you have only had him a short time, he is probably very confused, if he doesnt settle i would pop along to your vet to get him checked over, and offer you some advise. keep us updated as to how he gets on, :)

5. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

this is Eli, not the best picture, he looks a lot bigger in it that he actually is.
    Yeah i'm going to pop to the vets this week just to have him looked over.

Attached Files:

• eli.jpg
      eli.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Yeah he does look about 7 weeks at a push.

Poor thing, if your friend got him a few weeks ago I would be so concerned that the poor thing may be suffering nutritionally, as that would have made him only 4 weeks when he was separated from his mum :( how very sad for the little mite.

Hopefully some of the more experienced ladies will come and help you with him (calling Tje, BBM and the like!).

In the mean time, can you tell us what he is eating and drinking? Is he going to the loo properly?

7. colliemerles

aww bless him, he is gorgeous, i hope he settles in with you, :)..:)..

8. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

We only got him today so not sure what his toilet habbit's are as such, he has been once and it is real runny, We've just got him on kitten food. When it come's to drinking he is a bit iffy, you have to dip your finger in the water first and give it to him like that for a minute, then he kinda drinks on his own, but it take's a lot of encouragment.

I do hope someone can help, i'd hate to think he was going to suffer or be ill or anything because he is so full of life and loving.

9. colliemerles

i will see if i can get any of the cat people on here to help you, :) im sure he will be ok, has his food been changed, maybe he isnt used to eating the food you are feeding and it has upset his tummy, or maybe he is alittle stressed and that has upset his tummy, :)..:)

10. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

we're using the same as she used. I'm hoping it'll pass and that it's nothing serious.

Thank you so much that would be a great help, even if it's just to put my mind at rest.

11. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

if you can, get some reinforced 'kitten milk' or even the kitten milk from Tesco and the like... it is a good 'booster' meal with calcium and vitamins.

My Indy was separated from his mum at 5 weeks cos she didn't have milk but he was already mostly weaned, just wouldn't drink water very well... so we gave him luke warm milk to ecourage drining and slowly watered it down over several weeks.

What brand kitten food are you feeding? wet/dry/both? if you can feed a really high meat content one like HiLife it would be great... rule of thumb is to always feed the highest quality you can afford :)

if you grab a jumper/t-shirt that you've worn and not washed yet (so it smells of you) and wrap it around a hot waterbottle at night and put it in his bed it will help him settle

He looks a sweetie btw

12. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

Thank you, he seems to have got quite attached to my boyfriends pillow, (its black and white too!) What ever he's doing he seem's to just stop and run back, check the pillow then carry on what he was doing. So i'm thinking maybe put that in his bed with him, or maybe just the pillow case.
    It's Whiskers wet food that i'm using.
    I tried giving him some milk but he was having none of it, he had 1 lick, pulled a weird face and ran accross the bed.

He seems to be quite sleepy too, could it just be that he's worn him self out exploring and playing? He did have a mad 5 minute's he just went crazy and started jumping on everything!

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

OOh don't give him milk hun. Very bad for cats tummies. Unless it's lactol (like Cimmicat and the like) kitten milk of course.

For a 7 week old that sounds like pretty normal behaviour regarding the sleeping. Mine are just shy of 7 weeks, they play hard for an hour at most, then sleep for about 2 hours ... it's a never ending cycle :lol:

14. Tje

Tje Banned

7 weeks old is too young to be away from the mother and siblings :confused:… but stating that is akin to shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted... so...

What I would consider the most important thing to do with this kitten is to monitor his weight. Starting now and then repeating at roughly the same time every day (i.e. always mornings or always evenings)

He should weigh right now at least 700grams (but a kilo is a also fine)

he should gain around at least 15grams per day (but 40g+ daily is also fine)

You said his stools are runny? Do you have any worming history on him? It could be he is reacting to the worm treatment, it could be he needs wormed. It could be something else entirely. Discuss this with the vet. Keep him on the same food he was getitng in his last home until the runs stop, or until the vet directs you otherwise. If you do change his food, do it very gradually... start with ¾ of his old food and ¼ of the new, if all is well after 3 days then go 50-50 for 2-3 days, then ¾ of the new and ¼ of the old for 2-3 days.

I wouldn’t worry about him being overly clingy…. It wont be the first time I’ve put on a fleece cardigan with a drawstring at the bottom pulled tight and just carried the kitten in there as I go about my business. He is so young, he must be missing his mum and brothers and sisters. He will grow out of the clingy stage.

If he is too clingy towards you (or your BF) at bed time… put a hot-water bottle in his basket (wrapped in a blanket) and a ticking alarm clock, it will soothe him somewhat. A lot of lonely young kittens like a small soft teddy bear to curl up to/lie on too.

Keep feeding him plenty of wet food (small portions and often… 6 times a day wouldn’t be too much).

Wet food ensures he is also getting fluids inside too. You might need to musg up his food with a fork... make sure he's not just licking it.

But monitoring his weight is the most important thing… it’s not unusual for kittens separated too young to simply not eat enough to survive … we don’t see it immediately, and by the time we do realize they’re not eating, they’re in too poor a shape to eat themselves and have to be syringe fed. You reallllllly want to avoid this. Let the kitchen scales be your best friend for the next couple of weeks.

Keep us posted how it goes.

All the very best.

15. Tje

Tje Banned

sorry, I just repeated that (hadn't read the whole thread before responding:eek:). And OP... a worn t-shirt/sweater is indeed a better idea than a blanket. Best of luck with this wee thing!!

16. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

He has been wormed yes, so i think it might just be that, and on top of that the stress of coming to a new home and stuff.
    As for the teddy thing, he's really took a shine to my piggy bank (there about the same size!) and is currently asleep with that. So when it come's to bed time i think i'll use that.
    Thank you so much, i will take him to the vets as soon as i can get an appointment.
    I will keep you all posted about what the vet say's,.

17. sowen12360

sowen12360 PetForums Newbie

I got my little Elfie at 7wks old and she was fine after the 1st few days. As she was so young we fed her dry kitten food to start with mixed up in some kitten milk and she loved it, over the next few weeks we slowly weaned her off the milk and now she eats the biscuits and wet food with milk occassionally. She is now a very energetic healthy 14wks old and has settled in really well. She is just a tabby but was kept with her family up until we got her. I would say just persevere and give her plenty of love and affection and I am sure she will be fine

18. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

He's getting all the love in the world! And he's giving my piggy bank all the love in the world, he keep's humping it ha ha.
    Also if anyone know's, i let him out in the back garden with me but he seem's to walk and run on a side, like a crab! Is that normal? It is ever so cute to watch, but doesn't look normal.
    Is it another job for the vet?

19. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Nah that's normal. Does he arch his little tail when he does it as well? Typical playful behaviour :D You should see 4 kittens doing it all at once :lol:

20. bekki_s

bekki_s Banned

yeah he does, arches it and jump's all over the place, he look's so adorable when he does it, i thought he'd seen another cat and was trying to look hard haha but i think he was jst playing with the beetle he was chasing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice