Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think I've got something to do in summer :D

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 17, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Going to meet some people at a riding school for the disabled on Thursday :thumbup:

They need volunteers as they have long waiting lists meaning lots of people are unable to go regularly if at all. Lots of the people who go can't ride at regular riding schools because they aren't covered by insurance and they often need people to walk alongside the ponies/horses in case someone has a wobble.

Fell off the horsey wagon a couple years ago but miss being able to do a few dirty jobs and be around horses so hoping it will all go well and I can go there and help out a bit over summer.

Very excited :thumbup: :D :001_tt1: :biggrin: :001_wub: :laugh:

Not really got anyone to tell let alone anyone who might share even a vague bit of enthusiasm so thought I'd post here :blushing: :eek:

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

That sounds like a great thing to do, how did you find out about it? I'm trying to find something good to do with my free time as OH is back to his 7 day working weeks. I've enquired with the Guide Dogs but i want to get back in to working with horses too if i can.

3. GoldenShadow

Well I'm looking for a paid job too and was googling local riding schools and came across this article:

CHELMSFORD: Trot along to help at special riding lessons

Went on their website, contacted them etc from there. If you google riding schools for the disabled I am sure you will have one localish, I say for the disabled as I think they can always do with volunteers. Maybe normal riding schools like volunteers too I'm sure they're busy in summer!

Have you got any local horse sanctuaries, heavy horse centres etc? Never thought I would miss poo picking this much but there is just something about horses isn't there? I'll have a google for you in a minute see if I can find anywhere...

I saw you guide dog post that sounds like a great thing to do. The place I contacted for this horsey thing took a while to get back to me and sort it which was a little disheartening but I think they are just very busy :)

4. rona

rona Guest

Hope they let you join them. It's such a win win situation :)

5. Petloversdigest

Petloversdigest PetForums Senior

It is so nice to hear your enthusiasm for this role - I worked for another organisation that did riding for the disabled in Sheffield as part of the local community scheme - the participants were quite profoundly affected and occasionally used to run amok in the indoor school whilst taking all their clothes off - it was a really fun job and I was lucky to learn to drive the pony that we had for the disbled trap as well. I'm sure you will not regret volunteering for this - and you'll get a tan thrown in too! :)

6. lifeizsweet

One yard near me does riding for disabled, so am going to give them a call.

They also loan horses and ponies for 2/3 days week....

7. GoldenShadow

I know, I'd probably get lots more out of it than they would :D :lol:

Hehe I do need a tan but need to get fit more than anything too. Don't really live in the countryside anymore (you can drive to it but its not the same?) so would just be lovely to be doing lots of stuff outside and to feel less of a towny. I found them when I saw a newspaper article about how long the waiting list was, so sad that people have to wait that long to go :nonod:

It seems like they literally need people to run alongside the ponies because people need a bit of support and the like. Think they have special harnesses and things to help get people mounted it seems a really good place. They have a Blue Peter horse who is now retired I think but they were given him years ago :) Its this place:

Barrow Farm - Meet Our Ponies: Jet

If it all goes OK still need to fill in some forms and get a CRB but I know I have no record so it should just be waiting on time for that.

Ooooh that's good! Interesting re loaning too :D

I keep looking on Horsemart and dreaming :rolleyes::

8. lifeizsweet

I keep toying with the idea of sharing a horse...OH's grandad wants to buy some more land around the yard he's got...I've asked to keep some aside as pasture for me....;) then OH's mum and i can share a horse

9. GoldenShadow

Ooh that sounds great! Is she similar to you in terms of what she likes? You can get field shelters (mobile ones) for not too bad a price and everything. I used to love cycling out with friends on horses, we'd take it in turns sort of thing I think I liked the cycling easily as much as the riding :laugh:

10. lifeizsweet

We've got 2 stables at the yard and a small paddock, but OH's tractors are all in it, so if i can get some of the new land it would ideal :) - yeah, she'd be ideal to share with and she's got more free time in the week and i've got more free time on weekends so it would work out prefectly!

11. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

Go you :D

At my old yard before i went to my full diy yard they were a riding school aswell and i used to love helping out, just a shame the yard wasnt that great ... it was the one in the papers a few years ago where the girl died from being kicked in the head by a horse giving birth :(

i've had nothing to do with horses since i sold mine last november and really miss it, its days like today i sit in and think, today would have been amazing to ride :(

12. GoldenShadow

What are you waiting for :lol:

Sounds like the perfect set up :thumbup:

Ooh gosh never heard about that sounds awful :(

Yeah sunny days are a kicker :( My boy died three years ago and since then I've not done much. I don't really want to ride after losing him I have little interest, but I miss being around them if that makes sense? Last year I was cycling out with my friend and her TB x but sadly he developed laminitis secondary to cushings and had to be PTS last summer too, as did my old YO's posh and expensive dressage horse, that was laminitis too :cryin:

Laminitis was rife last year, was really awful where we were :nonod: So many things can go wrong for horses can't they?

13. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

it was awful :( was all over the papers :( rspca are still investigating the yard aswell i think.

aww :( it killed me to have to sell my boy but i just couldn't afford him :( i had a cut back on my hours and there was some problems the riding school didnt tell us about so i just couldnt afford the vet bills :(

they are, it doesn't help when my friends on facebook all have horses and are posting about how good a ride they had :(

i've told my OH when we finally move to portsmouth i want to start riding again, but i want lessons as ive never had a lesson in my life :lol:

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Oh wow if I knew how to handle horses I would live to
    Do it! Not even sure if there's any riding schools around here

15. GoldenShadow

Gosh that's awful I googled it now, horse called Treacle or something who lots of people didn't want to go near anyway :(

How did you know you liked riding, had you been on a friend's horse etc? I started lessons when I was 11 my godmum took me. Used to be over there all the time, was 40 mins from home but loved it. When I was 14 we got my boy and I started exercising the TB x I mentioned. When I was 16 we had to have my boy PTS :crying:

Not sure if I could ever sell, I know you can have to but I can't imagine having to decide that. My friend sold hers last year as she was going away to uni and I find it hard knowing she doesn't have her, no idea how she must feel..!

Leave hoofprints on our heart don't they :p :laugh:

You don't have to know how to do anything with them, lots of the work is paper work and they teach everyone how to do things around the horses. They said it was a bonus I have 'so much experience' but as I've been out of it a few years I don't think I have that much.

They take anyone though from 12 years and up who can help them do anything :)

16. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Hope you enjoy it, when i was 16 i volunteered at a riding school for the disabled for a couple of years, ended up working there, makes you appreciate what you can do a bit more :)

17. bexy1989

bexy1989 PetForums VIP

yea :( no farrier would touch her she use to rear etc :( one of my friends took her off the womans hands for free as she was just sitting in a field doing nothing and now shes an amazing horse, friendly as anything :eek: just goes to show what a bit of love and attention can do :eek: the photo attached is her now.

My mate booked me an hours ride at a yard she helped at, it was just a walk round the a field but i loved it and was helping out the week after :D

I barely coped with selling don't know how id cope if i had to have him PTS :(

Attached Files:

18. GoldenShadow

Aww must have been good if you spent so long there, hope this place is just as nice :thumbup: Be nice to potter about outside I like being outdoors...

Oh wow, makes you wonder what a horse like her was doing at a riding school if they were doing nothing with her and she wasn't the friendliest to start with..!

I think because I was 14 when we got him I hadn't ever expected him to die. I imagined what would happen when he was too old to ride and how I'd still spend lots of time with him and we'd go for walks. What would happen when I went to uni and how I'd miss him.

I was staying at my boyfriend's and my godmum came round, was a Wednesday. I was like what are you doing here you don't know where my bf lives and its not a riding day..? And she was like Simba had to be put down last night :crying: She'd waited so long to tell me because she wanted to do it in person. Single handedly the worst day of my life that :( Never even got to say goodbye.

I don't really know why but I'm not hugely keen to ride. I want a horse to be able to just watch and look at and sit with in the field but that's about it I think. Maybe as its been so long I've forgotten riding is fun :laugh:

19. GoldenShadow

Forgot to update this!

Went along Thursday morning had a nosey around and got some forms to fill in and read and sign etc. Ponies are all lovely, as is the yard and the two schools (one indoor one outdoor). It looks a really decent place and I was like :001_wub: I CAN SMELL HORSES :thumbup:

The lady said they have over 80 volunteers on their books but they never see a lot of them and a lot are not regular. She said the biggest problem is people come one random day then not for ages then another random day and some days they have loads of volunteers and they would be more use on another day etc. Anything regular is really good she said.

Bit hard as I need a referree to sign it so need to send that off to Lincs where I lived before to get someone to sign it then get it back then fill it in then send it back to the centre which is a bit of a faff. But I will get it done and get over there. Its gorgeous out that way, absolutely beautiful I would love to spend some time round there. When I left she was like 'I really hope we see you again :('. Think lots of people go to look and don't actually go back which is sad :(

Really excited though :D :D :D

20. shoreset

shoreset PetForums Senior

go you! :D

I'm just getting back into horses and have a weekend job at a riding centre. Today I was invited on two hour hack with them (which I loved, think id forgotten the joys of hacking), and im working tomorrow as well.
    I love it, the place is brill and the horses are fab.

I hope you get on well when you get started :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice