Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I think it's time to say goodbye

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Shady, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Shady

Shady PetForums Junior

My boy, Spike, has been poorly for some time now. Some may remember me posting around christmas time about him and I thought it was the end then. But with some vet attention he got loads better. He's had a few ups and downs and I know he has so many issues (adrenal disease, enlarged spleen, a mass on his spleen etc). For a few weeks now I've been looking at him and seeing him slowly decline. He can barely control his toileting, weeing and pooing without really knowing he's doing it. He's barely drank today, only what I have syringed him. Hardly ate. And he's very, very doddery. Eyes are crusty (orange colour) and he's lost so much weight. I literally got him out tonight and cried my eyes out because I think I know deep down that it's his time. He's 9, possibly 10.

I don't want to be one of those people that keep their pet alive for their own sake (not wanting to say goodbye) but then I also don't want him to suffer at all. He has very little quality of life really. He literally comes out for 10 mins a night, has his food supplements and wants to go straight back to bed.

I know you cannot tell me what to do, but am I making the right decision? I'm heartbroken even thinking about it, but I think I know deep down that it's not fair to keep him holding on.

2. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m sorry to hear this :( I do think you’re making the right decision, poor boy sounds very poorly. There’s a saying better a day too early than a day too late. Thinking of you both x

Babyshoes likes this.
  3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry to hear this, I think you know the answer though. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do as an adult. It's also the last act of love you can give your boy.

Sending gentle hugs & dooks to you both.

4. Lyndon

Lyndon PetForums Newbie

So sorry for you but only you know what you need to do for your lovely companion..we had to make the same decision a year ago with our cocker he was 12 1/2 had had a lovely life but we had to do what was best for our life man ..the most heart breaking moment ever but we knew it was right ..I really feel for you at this time..but as I said you'll know what's best ..take care my thoughts are with you .

5. Shady

Shady PetForums Junior

I ended up taking him to the vets last night to be put to sleep. At first he was calm and settled on my lap but he then started gasping as though in pain and that was it. I knew he was going to die last night, I was just hoping he would go peacefully in my lap. I just couldn’t do nothing when he started acting like that. My heart is literally broken, as I’m sure many of you have been. I am now ferret less. It’s going to be so hard.

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:( I'm so sorry to hear this .

7. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I’m so very sorry @Shady :(

Run free Spike xx

8. Once upon a gerbil (or 2)

Once upon a gerbil (or 2) PetForums Junior

Sorry for your loss. At least he won't be suffering now, you have done the right thing that any caring and loving owner would do, and clearly you are one of the most carin and loving owners around. Hugs to both you and Spike,

Once xxx

9. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry to hear this, never easy to do but it was clearly the right decision.

DIP Spike.

10. ZoeM

ZoeM PetForums VIP

You knew it was time and you took your old dude to the vets and were with him at the end. Until the end you cared and loved him and had his best interests in your heart. Though it can not be of any consolation now as your heart is broken, in time you will know you did your all.

Hang on in there.

With love,

Z xxx

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your loss, you did the right thing and he lived to a brilliant age. Rest in peace Spike x

noushka05 likes this.
  12. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier.

Aw I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. You did the kindest thing for Spike x

Scamper free little fella x

13. Shady

Shady PetForums Junior

Thank you all for the support. The last few days have been incredibly hard. I feel so so lost. I hate not having him there. :(

noushka05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice