Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think it's started.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jamat, Jun 28, 2017.

1. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Reading the news online this lunch time an article caught my attention it read

"Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council is introducing new rules on Saturday which means owners who let their pets run free will be off leered to pay a £100 penalty.

Failure to respond to the initial charge could lead to a criminal record.

The council hopes the move will ilex courage people to keep their dogs under control in public...

Is this the beginning of the end for off lead dog walking?

kimthecat likes this.
  2. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Does this span across the entire county or just in certain places?

3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

It's a public space protection order - councils can make their own for their own area; covers public land but it could catch on if successful.

Basically dogs must be kept on lead in certain areas - don't think it's anything new?

"The new Order continues the requirement for owners to pick up dog fouling, keep dogs on leads in certain places and keep dogs out of certain sensitive areas. The fixed penalty for owners not complying with the Order has increased to £100, reduced to £80 if paid within the first 10 days. Owners who do not pay the fixed penalty fine could face a prosecution resulting in a criminal record, a fine of up to £1000 and having to cover the Council’s legal costs."

4. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Actually it just looks like a stamp down on bad owners, the on lead areas are fair (i think)

The Dogs on Leads Order requires people in charge of a dog to put their dog on a lead and keep it on a lead in any area designated by this order. All these areas have signs indicating that dogs are to be kept on leads. The areas are:

• Oaston Road Cemetery, Nuneaton
    • Bucks Hill Cemetery, Stockingford, Nuneaton
    • Attleborough Cemetery, Nuneaton
    • Coventry Road Cemetery, Bedworth
    • Marston Lane Cemetery, Bedworth
    • All roads within the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth (as defined by Section 142 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984)
    • All sports grounds, fields, parks and pitches not subject to the Dogs Exclusion Order 2014, when in use for authorised sporting matches

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

This isn't really clear... what does run free mean? If my dog is walking to heal but off lead in a place that doesn't specifically ask for dogs to be on lead, will I get a fine then?

6. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Never get people who walk their dogs off lead in cemeteries o_O

cava14 una and Burrowzig like this.
  7. steveshanks

I think thats the press sensationalizing, as far as i can tell its just a clamping down on offenders letting there dogs "run free" in on lead areas.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. steveshanks

I know right, its totally disrespectful.

9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Doesnt sound like its a bad thing if its in the areas stated. TBH I wish some of my local parks were on lead only (not the bigger, wilder ones but some are primarily kids play areas or sports fields where it makes sense to have dogs under better control).

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and labradrk like this.
  11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

In most of the places where there are dog control orders dogs should be on a lead anyway out of respect for other users.

I live opposite a lovely old church and the other night I could see a couple with three dogs not on leads sitting down in the graveyard with the dogs running around. Totally inappropriate IMO; it's not a park it's graveyard!! I wonder how they would like it if three off lead dogs were running all over one of their relatives grave? Likewise I see dogs off the lead on the beach where they are supposed to be banned for part of the year.

The problem with these control orders is that who is going to enforce them? There needs to be more of them in my opinion where appropriate, but they aren't enforceable without the man power to enforce them.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice