Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think I'm being selfish, or broody...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SassyH, May 12, 2010.

1. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

....but I really want another cat, but after the disaster of bringing Vada into the house I'm really unsure. Then my other half agreed to maybe getting a kitten but I just dont know how Sooty would react. Have any of you ever tried to introduce two adult cats, have it fail and then successfully introduced a kitten, or should I just totally leave it?
    Also, I would love a Raggie kitten but I don't have the money to pay out for one, only to lose it all if it doesn't work out.
    Advice or straight up honest opinions (re: selfishness) would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

IT can take a long time to introduce cats to eachother, older cats tend to work better with kittens, it can be stressful (been there!!) But then if it works it can be great!

2 x adult cats never met before coming into the home will always be harder, I always say that keep them in separate rooms, introduce slowly using bits of cloth with each others scent, gradual small supervised meetings, lots of fuss for the older cat, treats whenever they meet up etc, could take 3 weeks could take 3 months, he could just tolerate but never accept the newbie, you never know.

Raggies love everyone and dont like being alone so they love other cats, he might bring your boy out of his shell you jsut never know!

3. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

My previous ragdoll cats were litter mates but not put back together until they were 2 years old (inherited one of them from a relative who could not cope with 3 ragdolls, and we had bought them at the same time)

So, the one I adopted had lived with 2 other ragdolls with no issues of fighting, came to live with mine and they fell in love with each other - licking, washing, it was lovely. Unexpectedly the adopted cat died and my original ragdoll cried and missed him constantly

A year later I went through a divorce and had to rehome my original ragdoll with my mum until I got settled. She had 2 moggies, both of whom were pretty snippy, reclusive/shy and didn't interact much. Ragdoll integrated himself utterly with these 2 other cats and still lives there today as I do not have the heart to take him away from somewhere he is so happy. He has brought the snippy female cat out of her shell and they play, wash and love each other so much.

I honestly couldn't commend ragdolls high enough for their placid nature and worth every penny (and if I could afford it, I would buy 5 of them!), but you do not need to get them from a kitten, how about re-homing one?

Taylorbaby likes this.
  4. SassyH

SassyH PetForums Member

Thanks :) I'm pretty sure the kitten would be fine, its Sooty I'm worried about. She started hiding in the bedroom all the time, barely ate or used the tray...we had to move both into our bedroom. I'm just worried all the fears that she developed when Vada was around would resurface even with a kitten that would be tiny compared to what Vada was. If that all makes sense

5. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

what I was explaining is that ragdolls are so submissive and gentle, that in my own experience they will not push a shy or reclusive cat to play, they are only rough playing if invited to be by the other animal.

The female cat that my mum has now originally lived with my sister. The cat behaved in the way you described. When she came to live with my mum and my ragdoll she changed completely. It can make or break a cat but its a huge decision whether to get another that you might have to rehome again.

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I can understand your fears.

We first had Kira who is ancient. Then Decker (she was a yr and half old at the time, shes now 2 and half) came along I dont remeber any real nasty fights at first. But at night time (even now) Decker can not be left alone with Kira all hell will break lose. Decker has been here since july 08 and they still get into fights.

Then came Horris(who was 3yrs old dec 08/ jan 09) there were lots of fighting between Horris and Decker. Horris was not neutured at the time and I think if I can remeber correctly it was just after Decker was spayed that he came inside. They both get along fine and will rough house togeather. The only time Horris really goes after Kira is if the others go first and he joins in. Horris also can be a bit rough with Soda but she puts him in his place.

Then came Soda ( june/july 09) who was a kitten. When I first brought Soda home there was lots of hissing. Decker didnt want anything to do with Soda and would run off, same with Horris. Decker then started limping around the house, she wouldnt jump on things, etc. I spoke to my vet about it as I was concerned she had fallen off something and had srsly hurt herself.

My vet told me that there was nothing to worry about. That Decker was acting that way due to a new family member and was wanting extra attention. Decker was and is used to getting her own way. And I guess she felt pushed out.

I think maybe three weeks later I found Decker curled up on my bed. Soda tried to get close but got a big hiss so settled for a spot close by. Moments later Decker was trying to sniff Soda but as soon as Soda looked at her she hissed. Now Soda and Decker inseperatable, you find one the other will be close behind.

Soda doesnt get along with my moms cat either infact out of the three she is the worse for going for Kira. I have to seperate them all at night (minus Horris sometimes he gets to stay with Kira).

So I can understand your concern, I think any future feline that comes into this household will have to be a very you cat (1 yr) or a kitten.

7. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

do you have any friends with a young cat or kitten that you could bring into your home to see how your cat reacts to a younger cat ? When we got dillon our second cat him and oakley didnt get on at all for the first few days although there was no really bad fighting but after a week or so they started getting along now they sleep cuddled up. if u do decide to get a new kitten i hope things go well.

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

The thing is its best to do it slowly a 'one off' meeting isnt the best thing to do, it could stress the older boy out further.

Im guessing that he felt threatened hence the hiding from the new older cat, it takes time but it can be done :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice