Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I think I made my life hard for myself! command ideas needed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by dalpup, May 7, 2010.

1. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

Ok, so Buster is great at SIT, PAW and we are getting there (hhmmmm LOL) with WAIT, he also knows DOWN, as in not to jump up on me either sitting or standing, and GO LIE DOWN for go to your bed.....this has left us with a lil problem with getting him to lay down as what can I now use as the command for this! :eek: Also any advice on how to teach the actual way to get him to actually lay flat would be good too as I have tried the whole hold treat in front of nose and slowly move it towards the ground and he just looks at me like "err what are you doing crazy lady" :rolleyes:

2. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Flat? Settle?

Shame you use "down" in two commands - it can muddy the waters a bit.

I use "Bed" for go to bed, "off" for off furniture etc, "Settle" for lie down and relax wherever you like, "down" for instant, cantilever down.

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

you can call it whatever you like - call it 'humbug 'if you want, the dog won't know the difference! How about 'lay', or 'flat' or 'floor' or 'drop'?

4. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

this made me laugh as i have tried this with pupster, and he does the same, he looks at me like i am the crazy one lol, or he gets up and follows it :lol::lol:

5. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

thank you, I just had a complete mind freeze on possible things to say and as much as I am sure I could use ANY word a relevant one would be best to stop me looking too mad whilst out ;) he hee!

I was worried that down for in two commands may confuse, I wonder if I could try off for the down command or am I better to stick with it now?

Glad to hear somebody elses pup gives the same impression when trying that ;)

#5 dalpup, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. Colliepoodle

You can change commands - in fact I started out using "flat" for "down" and then swapped. Didn't take long - just use "new command/old command" for a while. The new command becomes a predictor of the old command and over time you can drop the old one, because the dog will start obeying the new one in expectation of the old one always following.

What treats are you using?

You need something REALLY smelly and yummy to keep their interest if you're teaching down... and you have to be a bit sneaky and skilful.

Have a really special, smelly treat in your hand. Let them sniff it. Partly open your hand if you have to, so they can see and smell it. Put your hand on the floor - again partly opening it if they seem to be losing interest. They generally sniff and sometimes scratch, and push your hand about.... just keep it still. Sometimes they back away and prance about. What usually happens though is that in the process of sniffing and worrying at your hand, they lie down and BINGO your hand opens and they can eat the treat. When they're doing that reliably you can introduce a cue, then fade out the hand/food lure.

You do sometimes have to almost tease them though to keep their interest.

Or else, sit on the floor with one leg bent, with room for the dog to go under. Practise luring him through it, and gradually bring your leg closer to the floor so he has to crawl on his belly to go under. When he's started being low enough to be actually lying down, put the cue to it etc etc.

7. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

So I would say Off, then down straight away yes to link the two, is that right?

I think the treats are probs not exciting enough, I sometimes just use some of the kibbles from his dinner, or a dog biscuit, he is a complete PIG though and listens for you when you have these as Buster's belly RULES!!! ;)

Fantastic description of how to go through teaching him, any suggestions on good treats to try for him?

thank you for your help :thumbup:

8. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

There are several ways of teaching down. You can lure (hook his collar and practice against a wall to stop him traveling), lure him under your leg or a chair (belly hits ground YES! and treat), teach bow first (the front half of a down), capture it - wait for him to lie down and then click and toss treat, repeat.

9. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

For teaching Holly "down", we get her to sit, then hold the treat in front of her nose, then lower it down, and towards her front feet, that way she has to lie back on her legs to lie down :)

We have "off" for off the furniture, "bed" for bed, and "calm" for go wherever you like as long as you lie or sit down :)

Try using some cheese, or sausage :) We sometimes use liver, if she's having a stubborn day :)

10. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

I use "down" for Dillon and "Incoming!" for Kes. Looks good when you shout "Incoming!", he lies down at distance and then I throw the frisbee to him. Still trying to decide what to use for Jess. Toss up between "rest", "flop" or "chill".

11. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

I just wanted to say that I tried the hand on floor thing, just with the food as usual expecting it to not work but after getting used to allowing him to nibble and paw at my hand he has it sussed!!! :thumbup: So we will be using flat, husband says he wants to see me teach inflate now.....smart alec :rolleyes: hehee!

thank you very much for your thorough explaination it worked so well!

12. Colliepoodle

Yay!! :biggrin:

Excellent. Well done!

Once he's got it, you can introduce the cue "flat" AS HIS TUMMY HITS THE FLOOR - then move on to weaning him off the hand on the floor, by giving the cue and almost instantly diving your hand toward the floor and crucially, then giving the treat FROM THE OTHER HAND. The hand going to the floor will then start to just be a hand signalling toward the floor, getting more and more slight until he's working from the "flat" cue alone.

Sounds more complicated than it is!

Good smelly treats - cheese, ham, tiny bits of liver, cooked and cut up small, liver cake (if you can put up with the stink - I only ever made 2 batches lol), sardine cake is DEAD easy and works well, and smells less than liver cake.... some dogs like little bits of raw carrot... whatever your dog loves best, really :)

Sardine cake:

2 tins of sardines in oil
    2 eggs
    SR flour
    Pinch of garlic granules (optional)

Beat eggs.
    Mush up sardines.
    Add eggs to sardines. Mush some more.
    Add garlic granules if using.
    Mush some more.
    Add enough flour to make a stiffish mix - not as loose as cake mix but not as stiff as, say, scone mix.

Spread in a greased dish to about 1cm deep.

Bake in oven at 180 until the house stinks of fish and it's risen a bit and a knife comes out clean.

Cool on a rack and cut into 1cm-ish squares.

ETA do in two batches if necessary - you don't want it too deep, otherwise your treats will end up too big. Treats should be small enough for them to eat quickly, to not get full up too quickly on and non-crumbly :) I made this recipe the other day using half the amounts and it ended up making about 100 treats :)

#12 Colliepoodle, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
  13. Colliepoodle

I also use the Tesco chicken meaty strips dog treats, for training. You can cut them up easily with a sharp knife. Then I mix them in with more high value treats like sardine cake in the treat bag. That way, the dog is never sure whether it's going to get a nice treat (meaty strip) or a REALLY nice treat - which often makes them even keener and also saves a bit of money!

Tesco meaty strips are about 80pence for 20 strips, which, cut up, make about 14 treats per strip. Not bad value :D

14. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

thanks for those they are very helpful :) he seems to be such a bright wee thing, I think we could start trying some fun tricks too in no time. I am amzed sardine stuff smells less than the liver think I will take your word for it ;) he hee

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice