Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i think i have allergy to hay

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Aug 4, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

everytime i handle the hay which is daily my eyes get itchy and dry and feel like something sharp is in them.
    do you think its a slight allergy or does everyone get this?

2. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Oh nooooooo Fraggy it does sound like you have an allergy are you using a new type of Hay? Do you use shavings? It could be that too? As long as your not alergic to the wabbits thats the main thing lol!

BTW I havnt seen Lilly for ages so put up a pic of her would you plssss! :001_tt2:

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i will do just for you my lovely :D

and as for hay, ive always had it with any hay, its nothing mega so its not gonna worry me

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Hello Ladies..;)

I am the same with really with cut up hay thats really fine but ok with thicker stuff.. plus might be the pollen as well... Should always have a wee box of piriton..;)

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hellooooooooooooooooo ive sooo missed you here young lady!!!!

i must agree it is worse with the shorter pets at home hay, i just havent had chance to go to farm due to bloody health

6. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

:D ..ooh am a lady...:smilewinkgrin:

I remember buying one from ermm Asda once ooh my it was so fine it was just dust when i oppend it i sneezed for hours..

Hope your ok..xx

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

ha ha yup your a lady i did think it in the little britain style "im a lady" LOL

i only have probs with the eyes so not too bad.

8. borderer

borderer Guest

dry dusty hay can make eyes itch fresh hay smelles nice is not dusty:D

9. frags

frags PetForums VIP

yeah and pets at home stuff is horrible!
    i must get to the farm ASAP

10. borderer

borderer Guest

would never buy hay from petshop its old rubbish go to a farm it smelles lovely:D

11. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I agree with bordie...and i love the smell of fresh hey from a farm..when we get it dropped off at work from the local farm..It always smell lovely :eek: :eek:

12. frags

frags PetForums VIP

yeah i usually always go to farm to get it but ive not been able to drive so had to get some from P @ H

i love the farm stuff and so do the buns

13. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I have the Norfolk hay or summin like that or I order one in at work, both of them are not chopped and they smell really nice :p

I would suggest taking a hayfever tablet for a few days Frags, see if that helps. I know when I clean mine out I sneeze constantly! Combination of hay, fur, woodshavings and shreaded paper! If I have a cold I have even been known to put a mask on, do try and stop me sneezing so much :p I look a right state!!! The rabbits look at me like I am mad! Well I guess I am :p

*Heidi*

14. bellabunnylops

bellabunnylops PetForums Junior

I have allergy issues with the hay in the summer months - but I have found the hay from Dust Free Hay - this stuff is great although it is expensive when you compare it to the 3.50 bales from farms x

15. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

my mom is allergic to stra hay and some rabbit fur. it didnt start until she was about my age, just after she gave birth to me actually, thats why im never having kids, lol. although it didnt stop my mom from letting us have rabbits and shes kept chinchillas, guinea pigs and other animals that eat hay. she wants to keep donkeys and stuff too. bless her. shes a right sucker for punishment

16. Beautiine

Beautiine PetForums Newbie

i would get hay from farm as well but there isn't any near by where i live..it is having an all time drought for more then a few years now so i have to get them from pet stores.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice