Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i think buffys a little small for her age and maybe a little to thin?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by littleblackcat, Jan 6, 2012.

1. littleblackcat

littleblackcat PetForums Member

hey all ive got my cat booked in for a check up wednesday so hopefully that will put my mind at rest but i cant wait untill then.
    my kitten is 5 months old and shes quite small, she also looks quite thin.
    you can feel n sliglhty see her spine down her back and also her tummy dips in a little bit by her back legs and you can feel her ribs. She gets loadsa food her bowl is never empty and i give her meat and little nibbles. my neighbours cat is 3 months old and is twice the size of my cat though he is a male
    i was just wondering if anyone elses cats were this small and have grown bigger
    i am planning on gettin her spade in the next few weeks as ive been told cats put a little bit of weight on when they have been spade but ive also been told that having them spade can stunt their growth and keep them small so im now wondering if im doing the right decision having her spade at 4 months or should i wait till shes bigger???

2. Chewie39

Chewie39 PetForums VIP

I don't quite get this?

I'd suggest getting her spayed ASAP though - you won't be risking a pregnancy and (though I can only speak from personal experience) having our Kitty spayed resulted in her piling on the pounds.

Are you sure she's underweight though? I guess you will find out at the vets?

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

she sounds fine - she should have a little dip (but not a huge one) and you should be able to feel her bones a little bit. SHe is a kitten and growing lots so will go through those lanky phases. However, if you start feeding her good quality food that actually contain stuff she can digest rather than have to poop out (which is what most of your dry is - indigestible fillers) you will find she begin to gain weight and condition. Not spaying her is really not a good idea.

How heavy is she and exactly how old is she?

4. littleblackcat

littleblackcat PetForums Member

shes 5 months old i will get some scales and weigh her and let you know. she just seems so small compared to all the other cats i have seen that are her age it makes me think something isnt right with her.

5. Ladyjuicy08

Ladyjuicy08 PetForums Junior

I thought the same with my 2nd cat Jakey he was so much smaller at the same age as my other cat Alfie but now at year old they are both the same Alfie little bit longer but that only difference

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice