Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I swear Cad's changed his mind just to spite me

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Torin., Oct 19, 2020.

1. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Okay maybe not, but the timing is still suspicious.

Up until Friday, Cad's had basically zero interest in balls or squeaks. I posted as such on his SS likes&dislikes. I made this FB post the other week
    Screenshot_20201019-195312.png

Obviously this is currently his actual favourite toy :rolleyes: On Friday he played tuggy-fetch outside with the ballpig. This is a breakthrough in itself, as I've been trying to get him to see the value in playing with toys outside all summer. Now he's insisting on the same game every evening inside, where (because pig-shaped and not a spherical ball) it bounces off the vinyl in unexpected directions.

I would quite like to build on this new direction of toy interest by getting him a ball on a rope, since that feels easier for the tuggy part of play than where my fingers are currently having to be. But I can't find any Cad's-mouth-size ones! Can anyone point me at smol-dog-size balls on ropes?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

No, but what about a ball in a sock?

Ellie&cats, LinznMilly and Torin. like this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Testing...
    IMG_20201019_204052662.jpg

IMG_20201019_204022588.jpg

IMG_20201019_204004929.jpg

Results:
    Excellent toy, but socks aren't durable enough. One time toy only :eek:

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

We're still going with re-knotted ball-in-a-sock, so I feel like he'll definitely like ball-on-a-rope if I can find one!

Ellie&cats, LinznMilly and JoanneF like this.
  5. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a look at pocket tuggy from Tug-E-Nuff, the balls are rubber and fairly small.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Do they do the Kong tennis balls on a rope? We have a couple of the XS ones I got when he was new, but I'd have to put my fingers right the way into his face to play tug with them - balls aren't worth anything to him without some aspect of tug.

And, er, the Wubbas are too far in the other direction - sorry, not trying to be difficult! He loves them, and he loves the ball size, and he loves the flappy tails. But as a result he's more than happy to just do the terrier deathshake with them on his own and bomb around inside like a tornado with them. Which is great! Such a fun game! But doesn't really help with me trying to get him to play interactively with me outside? He's currently Wubba-less as his previous one's outside ripped, but he does have the funky-shapped inner ball thingy on the go still, which actually is good for both his idea of fun without having to be too careful on bite inhibition grounds heh.

So I'm a bit hmmm about Tug-E-Nuff as buying from them was my first experience of "this is small dog suitable" used to mean "this is suitable for a small collie" in the way that dogsports people have often used the phrase since then. I bought a bungee rabbitskin thingy from them, only I asked for them to drop the amount of bungee because 5Kg dog. And they did drop it, but not enough for it to be pliable to Cad. And then because it was ever so slightly custom, their refund policy didn't apply. Since then, of course, they've released rabbitskin toys of that smaller-than-chaser size without any bungee in at all.

But I will have a browse, because Cad's really come on toy-wise from then, and it's feeling like this is being a why-is-this-so-difficult-to-find silly situation :D

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

This is probably not going to help but...

Kenzie LOVES her squeaky eggs. It is the only toy she will play with routinely. Because the chick pops out, we can play tug with it as there's a bit to grab (albeit a small bit!). Sometimes she will play by herself and other times we will play fetch-tug. She will not tug on anything else (except Elliot's ears, but you probably don't want to get an Elliot for Cad).

Like I say, probably doesn't help but just dropping it in there!

9. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Have a look at Pawstrading website. They do a lot of tuggy type toys for all sizes of dogs. Popular sie for the agility fraternity.

Torin. likes this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

We have an egg, but it's sat at the bottom of the toybox since about 5 minutes after I got it @McKenzie.

Oh wow! They do! Thank you so much! I browsed some agility shops last night when I couldn't sleep, but couldn't find any non-holee small balls, and didn't find this shop. There's such a choice of small balls I can actually choose a specific design vs going for the one and only small ball :D

oh no.... I appear to be browsing the rest of the shop 'just in case'...

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh that's good. They have a stand at most of the big agility shows in our area and I've bought loads of stuff from them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice