Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I sold my dog and within half an hour he was back

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by smithy953, May 26, 2010.

1. smithy953

smithy953 PetForums Newbie

hey guys, im moving soon as we realy cant afford our current house and so have to get rid of my beautiful boys.

i was wondering tho, a lady came by earlyer to have a look at my GS X D, and said she would take him, i told her everythin about him asked her to keep in touch went in to detail about the fact the he has bitten some-one before and well basicaly gave her his life story and told her all the things that make him who he is, she assured me she was good with dogs had plenty of them before etc etc, so gets a new dog she knows is boystrous, takes it home and locks it in a room by its self, then instead of going in her self (some-one the dog now knowa) lets someone the dog has not seen before go in and he bites him...... they were asking for trouble i told them he gets scared when left alone!

after all this one of her sons ran round and asked for help and so myself and my boyfriend bolted round to her house to make sure both the lad and the dog were ok, i said to her i am taking him back as its obvious she cannot look after him gave her the money back and brought him home, from what i saw the bite wasn't too bad but still its a bite!

thing is im worried now that either i can be prosicuted and harley put down, or will she be introuble for selling a dog she knows to be dangerous, anyone know as i am slightly worried, i honestly told her everything and was totaly honest about him before i let her take him, so can i be 'done' for this as techinicaly it was her dog sold to her under honest conditions eitha way i dont want my dog to be put down and have decided that we are going to have to cut right back on everything so as to be able to afford somewhere that will allow pets as their is no way i will ever get rid of him

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

No you cant be prosecuted because the dog was not 'yours' when it happened.
    The dangerous dogs act is not in effect in your home also so you cannot press charges when something like that happens.

It looks to me like the woman was bullsh!tting you and hasnt got a clue, just wanted a dog with looks?!

Can I just ask what happened the first time he bit someone?

If I were you I'd see if you can get a behaviourist, or go to some training classes and have a search on here for tips on leaving him at home alone.

3. smithy953

I will be totaly honest, the first time he bit someone was totaly my fault as i was carless.

i was helping out and a friends pub and didnt want to leave him at hoe as i knew i would be their for a good length of time and so i took him to the pub, i put him on a long lead in the back corner of the carpark (it was a little bit of it that runs down the back of the beer garden away from the main carpark and seperate from the beer garden by a wall) left him water food and his ball and went to play with him every half an hour or so, knowing that he can be tempermental i put warning signs all around the place, well somone he knew (my bf's little brother) went up to him to say hi and he bit him it was totaly out of charicter for him and was quite serrious luckily he was'nt hurt to badly!

i know it was my fault as it was a hot day and he didnt have all that much to do, was mostlikly scared of the new enviroment and so his insticnts kicked in, thankfully my bf's little brother didnt press charges meaning harley was'nt take away, but i did inform the dogwarden of the incident who was on his way anyway as the ambulance told them it was a dog bite, when he got their he saw the dog was undercontroll and said he will not take him to be euthanised as their was no reason unless someone pressed charges.

ive still not and probly never will forgive myself for that, it was so stupid and carless of me and i can honestly say i spent the whole 2 hours it took the dog warden to arrive in tears as i thought that harley was going to be euthanised which honestly is an unbareable thought and it would have been my fault.....

4. smithy953

he is a well trained dog, have been asked not to take him to the behaviour classes as for some reason i dont quite understand he hates other dogs be them 10 X bigger or smaller than him, only dog he gets on with is my doberman and that took almost a solid month of training the pair of them.....

damn rescue dogs.... not realy its so rewarding to see them healthy and happy after the condition i got them in

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Ok so its not that he was out of control and just attacked someone, it was ''your fault'' so to speak I dont think he is a dangerous dog he just needs to be kept out of that kind of stressfull situation. I think many bored, hot dogs might have done the same.

Saying that you do need to be careful that it never happens again, muzzling him in public *might* be an idea.

Don't give up on finding somewhere to rent. Is there somewhere near you that does a list of all the private rent accomodation available?
    We have one near us and it comes out weekly (its the same place that supplies the big issue to the sellers) and I just was phoning loads of places. Unfortunately the ones that allowed dogs did not allow housing benefit!

Go to all your local estate agents and fill out a form, state that you have a dog and say about him, maybe even offer to pay a larger deposit to cover the dog doing any damage?
    When I was looking for somewhere I wrote on the form ''I have two collie cross dogs (did not state one was staff x!) aged 1 and 3. They are both quiet, well behaved and house trained. Both dogs have attended and passed basic training classes. They are never left for long periods of time and have never destructed anything'' (as well as offering to pay a 'pet deposit' ontop of the original deposit).
    I then ended up trawling google for weeks and finally found a tiny wee website with one advert for a house, I've lived here over a year and got on great with the landlords next door :) So don't give up!

6. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

my son was recently struggling to find somewhere to rent for similar reasons....he got lots of help from Shelter and used the gumtree website.

7. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Is this the rescue dog?

#7 hawksport, May 27, 2010
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

If this is a rescue dog then you have absolutely no right to be 'selling' him. The dog should be returned to the rescue to do a professional and experienced temperment asssement and his future decided from there.

9. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Sorry but i would rather live in a tent than get rid of my dogs. I could not imagine being without them forever. Is there no way that you could not find a rented house that allows dogs. My niece had one.
    The dog sounds as if it needs behavioural training. Sometimes there are clubs that would do this one to one so that the dog is not in contact with other dogs.

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

A little clarification is needed here

11. smithy953

heyguys, yeah they are rescu's but as i said not from kennel's in both instances people who knew me or of me for my background in dog training/breeding asked me to take them as they knew i would keep in contact with them and give the dogs what they need. its all sorted now, thanks poison girl for your advice have found a landlord who when offered the larger deposit said no but he would like to take a look at the dogs, luckly they were being well behaved and he said that he has no problem allowing me to have them at the house, and has lowered the deposit from £600 - £500 as it was only so high due to the regular break-ins at his properties, (i think he belives i will use a dog for protection which i will not, i always stand infront of the dog hiding its face if a hostile situation arrises)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice