Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I Smell a RAT!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Toby Tyler, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

So with all the rain we got I discovered mushrooms were growing in my garden shed. Last week on a sunny day I decided to clean out the shed. In one of the cabinets I discovered a rat's nest!!! :mad:

The creature had taken only aspen leaves and dried mushrooms (one variety only) and packed them into the upper cabinet. There was a nest of insulation material in the middle. Not knowing if there were babies in the nest, had no idea how to tackle it.

Finally got my courage up and removed the entire contents of the shed. There were no youngsters in the nest, so I got a big stick and removed all the leaves and mushrooms. I decided to leave everything outside whilst I figured out how to keep the critter from returning. That evening I checked and it was in there! It STARED at me and I screamed and ran :eek:

Next morning there were more mushrooms and aspen leaves. I cleared them out and put screening and steel wool where I thought it was coming in. It would be impossible to completely seal up the shed, it's over 60 years old.

Success or so I thought. Everything got put back in nice and organized. Last night I checked and it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. :mad2: I think it's a pack rat.

How do I get rid of it for good in as humane way as possible that doesn't involve trapping/relocating? Smoke bombs?

2. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Air rifle... or a hungry prey driven dog :D

3. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

ooh let it stay :p it's obviously took a lot of time to build a nice home
    why won't you consider a humane trap and then take it somewhere else, although if you have one there are probably more. I'm a soft touch when it comes to these things so I would only want to humanly trap them and set them free.

4. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Actually hemmed and hawed about letting it stay, :p Agonized over it and if there were babies it would have won. But in the end I just can't have rats taking up residence and not paying rent! I need every inch of space that tiny shed has to offer, it's my only storage.

I have a humane trap. It's on loan to someone else who's had it for like 2 years, lol. I've relocated critters in the past. Unless one is willing to take them about 10 miles away, they usually return.

5. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

I'm thinking more along the lines of making the shed unattractive to rats. What things do they hate?

6. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

Cats...:devil:

7. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

And terriers... ;)

Seriously, though, very little puts a rat off once it has a nest. They even live down sewers, remember?

You could try the ultrasonic sound boxes, and there are lotions and potions that are supposed to keep them away, but reports of their effectiveness varies.

#7 Jesthar, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  8. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

thats what those who 'live' rats called a rat huffer :D

9. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Thought about putting Cricket out there, but it probably weighs as much as he does! Plus, I wouldn't want it to bite him and he hates baths. He would need one if I put him out there with a rat, lol.

Someone suggested moth balls. Would they work? Why couldn't I smoke it out? If so how?

I just went out there and took everything out again. :mad2: It's supposed to snow later so everything needs to go back in. Now there's only a pile of dried mushrooms where it wants to re-build the nest.

And what's up with just aspen leaves and only one kind of mushroom? We have/had hundreds. Why only one variety?

10. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Had to look up Pack Rat, as I had no idea what they look like. It's rather a cute animal, has a nice furry tail, unlike ours that have bald tails & I quite like them.
    Pack rat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do they spread disease, are a pest?

11. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Oh great! It's building a 'midden' in my shed! :mad2:

Yes, they are considered pests and they do spread disease. And he wasn't so cute when he stared at me.

12. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

Wow, that's a big rat!

How about making a new home for it outside the store? Maybe using a weather-proof box of somekind and putting it's original nesting material in it?

Maybe put some soiled cat litter in the store room as a deterent? I have no idea if it would work though.

Failling that, you could always put up a sign:

[​IMG]

:D

13. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

where I live if I had a Rat I'd call the Rat Patrol no kidding we have a rat patrol and it is law to call when you see a rat. Your not even allowed to own them here without a special license..

14. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

You need to get rid of it as soon as possible.like yesterday. Where there is one there is another and they pee as they walk, will get into your property and do damage chewing plus spreading disease.

I am all for live and let live.but not within the confines of my home or comfort zone.

I keep several outside cats so I don't have this problem but we find that at this time of year we do still see the odd one.but fortunately my cats get to it before I do and they are dead when we see them.

, It just wants to live and if the pickings are good in your shed it will stay, breed and bring its friends over too.

15. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

We have had and probably do still have the odd rat here. When we moved here 9 years ago the place was over run with them cos there was plenty bedding material and food here for them.

We tried every method of getting rid.....ferrets and a couple of terriers were the best. the cats do the rest.

16. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

We don't have a Rat Patrol. :( So that make me and PF the rat patrol. :scared:

What I couldn't understand was the sheer volume of leaves and mushrooms. It completely filled 3 large black garbage bags. That was literally packed into a space the size of a kitchen cabinet shelf.

17. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I sprinkled oregano and sage, peppermint oil and cayenne powder, around the shed floor.
    Seemed to work :).

#17 Gemmaa, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  18. nicolaa123

nicolaa123 Riley

Pots of cat mint..apparently they don't like the smell :)

19. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Thank you! These are the kind of ideas I need. :thumbup: Have heard about peppermint oil for mice. Actually thought about burning sage! :lol:. Cayenne pepper makes sense! I shall try that.

The dang critter removed the screening I put in to keep it out. :mad2: There's no problem areas I'm aware of, these are wood rats which are part of the local wildlife.

For now a winter storm is blowing in so I need to figure something out. Don't want to put things back til the nasty bugger is gone. Out I go with cayenne pepper in hand.

Pics taken after I cleaned it out and thought it had moved on. :mad: That was what the nest was made of. Aspen leaves and mushrooms packed the entire space. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      166.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      165.4 KB
      Views:
    #19 Toby Tyler, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  20. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Hey Mary :D
    I know you have tried screening but what about strong metal mesh :frown5:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice