Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I seem to have a problem ....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ForestWomble, Nov 11, 2020.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

On Monday evening, first evening without fireworks for nearly a week, I took Bungo out for a short walk for a last sniff around and toilet break, that went well as far as I was concerned, we met no one and we made our way slowly along as Bungo did lots of sniffing. My route is circular (staying on my home road), so at the half way point we are opposite the entrance to get back home, at this point Bungo made it clear he wanted to go home so we did, he ran at the door and jumped at it in his eagerness to get in, as soon as we were in Bungo did a big yawn and a shake - his way of relieving stress.
    I went out to the bin a couple of minutes after getting in and I could hear what sounded like my neighbours dogs 'having a go' at each other, didn't think much of it (in terms of Bungo being unsettled) and went in, Bungo was unsettled all evening and when I popped out again a couple of hours later, I could still hear the neighbours dogs.
    The next day Bungo was still unsettled and every time we heard the dogs (they are very barky, but normally Bungo ignores them) he was reacting, by the 6th reaction I started putting the two together, is it possible that its the dogs that are unsettling him?
    His anxiety levels were escalating over the afternoon, till at one point he asked for a fuss, then suddenly growled at me and kinda jabbed his head at my hand, then he moved away, he was listening at something for a while, then came to me again.
    I've been giving him Bach RR and I'm not going to take him out for a few days to hopefully calm him down, but if I'm right, or even if I'm wrong about the cause, what do I do?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

My only experience is on holiday the kennels accross the road were really upsetting Loki. We played doggy music and gave him a massage. Is there a food he loves could you put down treats when u hear them ?

3. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I imagine the sound of the fireworks night after night has just set him on edge now, my boy was the same after the horrendous noise on the 5th we was jumpy and barky every time he heard a dog bark or a car door slam he was off. Fortunately after the worse of it on the 5th it has quietened down and, fingers crossed I`m not jinxing this, we haven`t heard any fireworks since Saturday and he is back to normal now. Hopefully as Bungo was previously ignoring your neighbours dogs once he has had a few quiet firework free evenings he will settle back down again.

Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  4. ForestWomble

I've discovered he loves coconut and peanut butter (not together!), so yes, could try one of those and try swapping which I get out, maybe the excitment of which one is coming out will help?

I hope so!

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Would he wear a snug t shirt or coat? Something along the lines of a thundershirt.
    There’s YouTube clips on how to bandage them snugly for a similar effect.
    It may help him feel calm and not react.
    I’ve noticed if I try and pacify Heidi eye contact confirms her fear. The same “it’s ok” looking in her direction avoiding eye contact works a treat. I’ve obviously inadvertently caused that myself.
    Is there anything you may have done unwittingly?

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. ForestWomble

I haven't tried a thundershirt or the homemade ones on him before, though I was considering the idea only recently. Could you, or someone, please share a good video please, I've had a look but there are so many.

It's certainly not out of the question, but if I have I'm not aware of what I've done yet. I'll try and see if there is something I'm doing.
    I don't do eye contact, so it's defiantly not that.

Mum2Heidi likes this.
  7. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

Ahh, little Bungo.I think the firework season upsets a lot of dogs and maybe other things just add up on top of it.
    We always go away to escape the firework's but we didn't manage to this year (couldn't go to the place in Wales, booked an alternative in England and couldn't go there either due to lockdowns).I was really worried about the effect the bangs would have on Maci,as he ended up at the vets recently because of shots in nearby fields.Came up with a plan to try and protect him, which included wearing a pheromone collar and a thundershirt.Ordered one once we realised we couldn't go away.Not sure exactly which bits worked but he came through the fireworks unscathed.His hearing isn't as good as it was but nevertheless the clay pigeon shooting upset him badly.I understand that thundershirts are supposed to work on about 80% of dogs.Combined with other measures,it certainly seems to have worked for Maci. IMG_20201102_165752190.jpg IMG_20201105_190551928.jpg

Lurcherlad, ForestWomble and Boxer123 like this.
  8. ForestWomble

Sorry to hear about Maci, but glad the thundershirt and other things helped him.

9. Silverpaw

Thanks,he was absolutely fine with the fireworks,I couldn't believe it.I'm still listening out for them though because we would need to swing into action if we hear any (or as close as we come to swinging into action!).He sleeps so soundly now but I'm not sure how we'd have got through it without the thundershirt.I was actually afraid that he might die of fright,if such a thing is possible.When he saw vet because of the gun shots,they picked a heart murmur up that has never been detected before or since.It was put down to the excessive panting from stress.
    I hope little Bungo settles down soon,bless him.

ForestWomble likes this.
  10. ForestWomble

Thank you.

Hope you have no more fireworks.

11. Silverpaw

Thanks, fingers and paws crossed.

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Perhaps get eye contact when you reassure him. If he doesn’t tend to look at you work with a few treats holding them up to your eyes. When he looks in your eyes - treat him. Heidi never gave eye contact as a pup. Silly me thought she felt too little of herself so encouraged it. Now it’s a release for almost everything. It’s a fun game and has given her great focus.

Re the YouTube videos, sorry I can’t recommend. I started with a tight t shirt as a run up to thunder shirt and it worked so I went no further. Found the various security wraps afterwards but not needed them.

LinznMilly and ForestWomble like this.
  13. ForestWomble

I'll give that a go, thank you. I personally find eye contact very difficult and uncomfortable so I never encouraged it, Bungo does look at me and I him, we just never make eye contact, but it can be something we can work on together and see if it helps him.

I think I've found a wrap to try, so we'll give it a go.

LinznMilly and Mum2Heidi like this.
  14. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Avoiding eye contact may have been a ploy by my little terrierist to be elusive :rolleyes:
    I’ve found it very useful in teaching her half measures aren’t an option. She tries and facing me and avert her eyes or a quick glance and look away. Ensuring I get 100% sometimes takes a few goes but I feel it has helped in a lot of respects.
    A small (child’s) t shirt knotted on his back so it’s snug round his chest and top of her back is how I started.

Lurcherlad and ForestWomble like this.
  15. ForestWomble

Thank you. I think I'll try a t-shirt first as that'll be easier than bandages or a scarf or something.

Mum2Heidi and LinznMilly like this.
  16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

As long as it’s snug it you’ll get an idea If it’s going to help. Then you can decide a way forward.
    Good luck.

ForestWomble and LinznMilly like this.
  17. Silverpaw

Hi,I hope little Bungo has settled down a bit after whatever spooked him,bless him.I'm sorry that I don't know how to post a video on here but from what I've seen and read, aswell as the effect it seemed to have on Maci,I understand that the snug bit needs to be that around the 'centre' of the dog (where the velcro straps are). The theory seems to be the dogs feel safer when their vital organs are protected,so the tightness around the chest etc are not as important.I've taken a couple of pics, hope they make sense. IMG_20201113_092011588.jpg IMG_20201113_092112672.jpg

LittleMow, ForestWomble and Mum2Heidi like this.
  18. ForestWomble

Thank you.

I think he's a bit more settled, its hard to tell as he reacts whenever he hears the dogs and we hear them a lot. I am wondering if the bitch is in season and that's why he's so unsettled, but I can't be completely sure.
    I haven't taken him out since Monday which I think has helped a little bit, he is more clingy, asks for fusses but then growls if I go on too long (which he has never done, also, normally I'm the one who has had enough long before he has, plus normally when he's had enough he just moves away) so I'm being really careful, when he asks for a fuss I stroke him for a little while, stop, see if he wants more etc, that's not fool proof though as yesterday he wanted a fuss and I'd stopped, he showed he wanted more and I'd literally just started again when he growled, but I then heard the dogs so I think that was just bad timing.
    I just want my cuddly boy back :Arghh

That makes sense, thank you.

19. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Poor Bungo! And poor you! :(

No advice, just ((Hugs)) .

ForestWomble likes this.
  20. ForestWomble

Thank you *HUGS*

Just want to add, in case someone suggests this change in behaviour might be pain related, I have thought of that, I doubt it (just because he is a huge wimp and it would be obvious if he was in pain), but it is in the back of my mind, he does have a vet appointment booked for next week (hopefully still going ahead, currently waiting to hear on that) so I will be mentioning all this then.

Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice