Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I really need some advice

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by simplysardonic, May 5, 2011.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know all the details but I wonder if anyone can help with this serious problem
    I've just been on Facebook chat, a friend of mine took in a rescue dog on Tuesday, within 2 hours the dog had bitten her 8 year old girl's face, I don't know all the details other than the dog was on the site as Ok with children, he apparently showed absolutely no warning, just jumped up, knocked her to the floor & began biting at her face (I've seen the pictures, I'm tearing up at the sight of her pretty little face), her daughter is pretty dog savvy as they already had a dog there when they took this one in so I doubt she was provoking him in any way, she had been having a cuddle on her mum's lap.
    The rescue have taken the dog back & are going to take him to 'behavioiur therapy', but are treatign my mate quite badly (she doesn't want them to put the dog to sleep but she does want their assurance that he will be rehomed in a child free environment, which they aren't giving her- I feel this is out of order & I have always been a supporter of this rescue so I'm disappointed) she shut the dog away in a separate room as her daughter was now terrified of him & she asked the rescue to come & collect him, which they refused to do, so she drove him back the next day. Her daughter came home from hospital & spent the night worrying about the dog getting out & attacking her again
    Is there anyone she can turn to for advice?
    So far I've mentioned that the very first thing the rescue needs to do is get him looked at by the vet & that she needs to get in contact with them to find out what is going to happen. Her main concern is that the dog isn't rehomed with children

2. Statler

Statler PetForums Member

sorry but with so many child friendly dogs in rescue, and yes i am a big supporter of rescue dogs, i have 3 of my own it would be a one way trip to the vets for me. whether the dog is rehomed in a childless environment is imaterial as it will still come into contact with kids one way or another so why risk it happening again.

i know its not a reply you wanted, but im just being honest

3. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I'm not sure of who she can turn to, but didn't want to read and run.

In all honesty, a dog that's bitten a child this severely probably doesn't stand much chance of living, never mind being rehomed to a home without children. Most rescues have a limit of behaviour they'll deal with due to the amount of dogs without issues being PTS.

I feel sorry for the family. The girl's mum sounds a saint! Most people would freak out but it sounds like she has a level head on her and is not blaming the dog. The dog was clearly provoked in some ways, perhaps so subtly and related to past history that it was near impossible to predict, though.

Hope things gets sorted.

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

thankyou for your replies
    thankyou, I have to say I have never had any experience of dog bites & I feel very unhappy about this situation, I've always been pro the rehabilitation of dogs that have bitten, but knowing the girl involved has made me question what I believe
    This is true,it's possible that the previous owners may have handed him in due to his issues & then lied, I've looked on his rescue page & it states where he came from but who knows what he's been through:(
    The rescue is apparently refusing the discuss the issues with my mate, this is just wrong IMO & must be insulting after what her child's been through
    I also told her to get in touch with the CAB, I think she has every right to be informed about the decisions made about the dog, but I'm not sure if the rescue can be made to if they don't want to
    Her daughter is now terrified of all dogs except theirs, so I'm going to give it a week & then we are going to take Gem (the calmest of my lot) for a walk together to try & help build her confidence again

5. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Depending on what she wants for an outcome, she could report the bite to the police. I'd be suspicious of them rehoming the dog without informing the new owners of the history, as it doesn't sound like they checked him properly with children.

6. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

I think it's too serious an incident to expect candour, because of potential legal consequences; a child was hospitalised and possibly facially scarred.

What place is "child free"? We presume there was no apparent warning, like growling or snapping, and children get around and play, or walk past dogs, so I think the Rescue are in a difficult position, what assurances can they make to the OP's friend?

The friend having to look after dog with child in hospital and then return it next day, is not reasonable for her to have to do. Yet I can imagine, it being impossible to find a volunteer or staff available to do a "collection".

I've read on rescue sites, that often those wishing to be rid of a dog for "convenience" reasons, appear to exaggerate the issues to justify their decision. That those who just want the dog taken on by someone else, minimise them. So previous owners reporting is probably not relied on.

7. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

Whilst your friend sounds to be level headed, her heart is most definitely ruling her head. Even if the dog was re-homed in a non child environment how can that home guarantee that it would never happen to another child they encounter out on a walk, and how would your friend feel if another child was attacked and came off even worse than her daughter.

I have always said, and supported by my OH, that if any dog of mine attacked and bit a human, and as much as I love my dogs, it would be a one way trip to the vets with no deviation to a rescue centre. I knew a lab owner who had to make that decision when his dog attacked his wife in front of their then very young children - really upset the guy, and this was a pet dog who to all intents and purposes was adorable.

Life can be very cruel when you have a conscience to carry :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice