UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hopefully nothing to panic about, and I don't do panic as a rule, but I am stuck with no car, 8 miles from the vets (OH out at meetings in Cheshire).

Shorty's appetite has declined over the last few days, and this morning he wouldn't eat at all. Would take from my hand, then drop it, so he hasn't had his diuretic. Now he's started having pretty painful sounding coughing fits. :(

I've spoken to the vets who've told me to keep an eye on him until I can get to them, and I think they will come out if it gets serious.....but I'd rather have him in now, waiting to see if he gets worse is not my chosen solution with a heart problem.

I can't call OH because I won't be responsible for him rushing on the roads.

·
Banned
8,756 Posts
Oh no :( what a horrible situation. Wish i was closer so i could help. Hopefully Shorty is ok and picks up a little

*hugs*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't you ring a taxi? I've done it before...you just have to explain that you have a dog that needs to go to the vets! They just say they'll get back to you as soon as they find a driver that is willing to have a dog in his car (this usually takes less than 5mins)!
Good luck...and I'm sure everything will be ok!

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Poor Shorty. i'd try to get a taxi like the previous poster suggested. I wouldn't be able to wait and I know my rension and constant watching wouldn't make things any better.

Hope you get Shorty seen to as soon as possible.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Oh poor thing. I hope he is ok.

I take a cab to the vets. Loads will do it if you tell the operator you have a dog they will send a cab who doesnt mind dogs in the car.

Hope he is ok. Let us know. Xx

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First couple of numbers gave a flat no, but Betws-y-coed Taxis are going on my Christmas card list now - lovely lady said yes as soon as I mentioned vets.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Great news. I dont drive so our local taxi firm takes me and yesterday one arrived in one minute. I also have a local 24 hour pet taxi number for emergencies.

Fingers crossed for the vets. I hope he is ok. Lots of positive thoughts. Xx

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
good news you have found a taxi, let us know how you get on
fingers crossed for good news

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We're back....an increase in his existing meds and a new one added. It's a bit worrying that he only remained stable for a couple of weeks after the last increase in medication (he's on about the highest dose he can have for the first two), but we just have to hope for the best.
Without getting too melodramatic, I'm very, very aware that he's coming to the end of his life, and every deterioration makes me worry that it will be his last trip to the vets :(
But for now, he's b*ggering on, and at the moment, quite full of himself as he finally achieved the Jack Russell holy grail of sitting in the front of the car on my knee :laugh:

Thank you very much for your kind words, I was feeling very alone here for a while :)
And thank you for suggesting a taxi - this will probably sound really stupid, but I didn't even think of it! We're in a rural area, and there are hardly any taxis around here, no-one uses them except for tourists!
The driver who showed up was the husband of lovely taxi switch lady, I think, and we spent the journey swapping stories about our rescue dogs...so I know who to call if I'm ever car-less again :)

Off to lie down in a darkened room now...

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
We're back....an increase in his existing meds and a new one added. It's a bit worrying that he only remained stable for a couple of weeks after the last increase in medication (he's on about the highest dose he can have for the first two), but we just have to hope for the best.
Without getting too melodramatic, I'm very, very aware that he's coming to the end of his life, and every deterioration makes me worry that it will be his last trip to the vets :(
But for now, he's b*ggering on, and at the moment, quite full of himself as he finally achieved the Jack Russell holy grail of sitting in the front of the car on my knee :laugh:

Thank you very much for your kind words, I was feeling very alone here for a while :)
And thank you for suggesting a taxi - this will probably sound really stupid, but I didn't even think of it! We're in a rural area, and there are hardly any taxis around here, no-one uses them except for tourists!
The driver who showed up was the husband of lovely taxi switch lady, I think, and we spent the journey swapping stories about our rescue dogs...so I know who to call if I'm ever car-less again :)

Off to lie down in a darkened room now...
Dont feel stupid, like you say it would not be normal for you to use one and cant imagine there is many in the area
Glad you found a good one

Love the idea of jack russell holy grail getting to sit on your knee in the front.

Here's to a relaxing rest of the evening for the pair of you

Vickxi

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
So pleased that you are back and the JRT Holy Grail was attained :D. I will raise a glass to all those, human and canine, who are b*ggering on. Cheers :D.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.