Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I really don't know what breed I want

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by happysaz133, Oct 7, 2013.

1. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

I keep going between breeds, I just can't decide! So, next year I'm hoping to get another dog. I'm wanting to get away from Greyhounds and Lurchers, much as I love them, they are just too delicate for me to enjoy anymore.

The oppertunity has arisen to let another dog into my life, and here's roughly what I'd like.

• Small - Medium (nothing over 18kg or so)
    • Something with a bit of hair as I love stroking longer coats (not bothered if rough or smooth - can groom every day if need be, but nothing that I would need to groom for hours, or take to the groomer every month)
    • A breed known to be good at recall (I know every dog is different, but like with Beagles and sighthounds, I know they can be really hard to teach recall too and I don't want that again)
    • Something that likes swimming maybe as I live right by the beach!
    • I have lots of small furries, so something that could hopefully be good with them.
    • A sturdy dog, I don't want something likely to get hurt a lot.
    • Must be reasonably easy to find in a rescue, as I doubt I'd go to a breeder.
    • A breed happy with up to 2 hours exercise each day, can be all off-lead if the dog has good recall, not to mention a large fenced garden with the door open all day so 'it' can come and go as it pleases.

I've got it in my head I want a show type Cocker, always had a soft spot for them and would love one. But then I hear a story about a crazy one that scares me! :001_tongue: So, what would you recommend? Only thing I don't want is a JRT, nothing against them, they just really don't suit me.

2. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

What about a collie?

They don't need to go to a groomers every day but have the bit of hair for cuddles, easily trainable, especially with recall, usually love water, sturdy hardy dog, usually good with small furrries. 2 hours offlead per day plus some mental stimulation would be great for them. Plenty in rescue!

They are between about 12 and 20 kilos (just pick one under your 18 kilo limit).

Plus, they so pretty. :001_tt1:

3. Wyrd

Wyrd PetForums VIP

Working Springer?

We have one, he's 18kg, sturdy little thing, likes swimming, likes exercise, fairly good recall (the bunnies can temp him away), doesn't need much in the way of grooming.

4. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I'd say... a cocker :

If you're going for a rescue you can meet the adult dog in 'person' anyway, and discuss their temperament fully first, so to avoid a dog those not quite right for you.

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'd say a cocker they are fairly biddable and such nice temperments. The working lines tend to be smaller but may be a bit too much.

6. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Not quite sure what you mean by the bit in bold :confused: not being pedantic but it just seems a bit of an odd statement when you currently have that breed?

The first breed that sprung to mind was a miniature poodle, but I'll admit I don't know enough about the breed to recommend them over another :)

7. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

We have a working strain cocker. She LOVES swimming, loves walks but also loves a cuddle and a belly rub. Her recall is good, she's still a puppy though, but she's very biddable and easy to train and is great with people.

8. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

You say no JRT, but have you ever considered a Parson Russell?

My Skip is everything you mentioned... Well, apart from good with small furries but I have seen pictures of PRTs with said, small furries. So it is possible :)

Skip weights 8kgs. He's small and sturdy. Broken coated so requires hand-stripping every few months. He loves the beach! He has great recall now, after a lot of hard work. He's actually better off lead than he is on it :)

He would also take as much exercise as you give him.

He's super fun to live with and always makes me laugh. He's highly intelligent and trick training is fun with him :)

[​IMG]

Word of warning though, he gets attention wherever we go. So Parsons do intend to think that every human was out on this earth to fuss them :rolleyes:

9. ackerleynelson

ackerleynelson PetForums Junior

Really Cocker would be a good choice....

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I'd say any of the smaller spaniels, maybe a small working lab? You do get some dainty small ones. Or the Poodle group, possibly even some toy breeds.

11. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My First thoughts were a Nova Scotia Duck Toller or Portugeuse Water Dog - but I think they may just be a little bigger than you are wanting.
    Or how about the Lagotto Romagnolo - known for hunting truffles it is great in water and under 18kg - but I'm not sure how many breeders there are in the UK
    Field Spaniels are great little spaniels but I'm not sure how easy they are to come by.

For more common breeds I would of thought a Cocker either work or show, or even a Minature Poodle

All tend to love water and are very clever and active dogs :)

12. happysaz133

Don't worry, I'm not going to abandon my dogs or anything :) I always thought I have them all my life, but two years ago my 4 year old died while running, and she simply just snapped in half. Although I love my dogs, since losing her, I can't bear to see them running, so they don't get to run. That's not fair to get a breed when I don't let them do what they need to do. Don't get me wrong, they are happy with their lead walks and get to run about in their garden, but the only safe area here for dogs to run is at the beach, and as they have no recall, they don't get off.

I want a breed that doesn't run as fast, or one that isn't as easily injured. Anytime my current dogs run, all I think of is the spine sticking out of my last dog. I am constantly tense, and I don't enjoy it. :( Might not make sense to some, especially after 2 years, but I can't get rid of the image in my head!

#12 happysaz133, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

You could maybe visit a few local rescue centres with an open mind and see if any of the dogs there catch your eye. Maybe even consider a cross breed or mongrel. Rescues really don't mind if you visit every now and then. You could even volunteer and get to know some of the dogs better before deciding.

14. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If you are going the rescue route, would the rescue be able to match you up with a dog that fits your requirements, rather you going with a specific breed in mind?

When choosing my rescues I have sort of gone down the route of not looking for a breed but a dog which would fit in with my lifestyle and family.

However cocker spaniels can be adorable, and truely lovely dogs and it is good to research a breed beforehand to find out about specific traits. So I can fully understand why you would want a breed in mind.

15. happysaz133

You know, I have been wondering about just putting my name down with the local rescue, and saying I want something small to medium in size that is good with dogs and cats, and seeing what they come up with. Who knows what they may come up with, it might just be the best way.

16. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Sounds like a good plan putting your name down like that. At least the rescue will know you are going in to rescuing with your eyes wide open. Am sure with your criteria they should find you a good match.

17. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Chinese Crested Powderpuff?

You can keep their hair short (DIY) or longer.
    Readily available in rescue (my sig)
    available dogs

Dont be fooled by them being delicate, the majority are hardy robust athletic dogs.

All of mine bar one have spot on recall.
    They will take as much or as little exercise as you give them
    Swimming, hmmm I have seen pics of HL dogs swimming but mine dont do it my choice, both of my puffs enjoy paddling though

Bomber is possibly a cross but likely just badly bred. He is 10kg.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rocky (the Black and white) with an old foster dog Skyla
    [​IMG]

They do love to run
    [​IMG]

A friends little puff
    [​IMG]

last one sorry
    [​IMG]

18. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

That sounds like a great idea :) - the perfect dog may be what you least expect ;)

19. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Staffy?

Fits all criteria (small furries may have to be worked on if not brought up around), ok ok dont have much coat, but robust, love to run, easily trainable etc etc.

20. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

A Border Collie :)

They are the right size, okay some of them will slightly go over 18kg but there are many of them who are less than 18kg, and even if they are over it is generally only a couple kg (just don't ask my BCs weight :eek:).

They have a nice fur length, even the smooth haired ones still have a decent amount of fur and then of course there is the rough coated who have heavier coats. My preference is medium coated, so a nice in between :D

They are a breed known for good recall, and just generally are a very obedient and easy to train breed. You do need to watch they don't learn the wrong things, but they are a fascinatingly clever breed.

I know many of them who love to swim... Mine is one of them, he will just leap into the water and even swims underwater!

They can be good with small furries. It can be about training, but they aren't a breed known for wanting to kill small furries.

They are definitely a sturdy, hardy dog... they need to be for the job they are bred to do... Arrow is such a clumsy dog, but he just jumps up and carries on. His best one as a pup was running into walls, but he never got hurt.

There are LOADS in rescue, far too many :(

They can easily take up to 2 hours a day of exercise, and would love to have the garden to wander in during the day. They are a breed that are always ready to be on the go but when it is chill time, they will chill.

I am biased but BCs are a really special breed :p

Loving the beach...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swimming under the water...
    [​IMG]

He enjoys chilling...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And he is just damn gorgeous :p
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice