Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I pulled out dry skin with hair on it.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Xing, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Xing

Xing PetForums Newbie

My cat is 6 months old. Eating a mix of dry and wet food (if this is useful info) . Today or a few hours ago I felt that the hair on his back was a bit hard and lumped. I thought perhaps something sticky fell on it so I tried to clean it by pulling out what I thought was the dry residue. It was a bit hard to pull and pulling further made me question what it was. My cat perhaps didn't like it too much as he gently tried to bite my hand instead. I pulled out half of it before he got up and left. So a while ago I was able to pull it all out. And my cat seemed rather happy that I did it. I thought it might just be dry skin but the bunch of hair horrified me a bit. It is about 4-5cm long. I'm just a but freaked out and would like to know what it could be because it wasn't there yesterday. I couldn't pet him earlier in the day as I had to go out. Other parts of his skin seem fine.
    PS, sorry these are the best pics I could take as I didn't find an option for gallery.

Attached Files:

2. Xing

Xing PetForums Newbie

The area is slightly flaky but nothing else. I haven't 'bathed' him recently with a bucket and water. I've been trying to use wipes since the past 2 months. And he's a house cat. Also I have never seen fleas on him.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Why are you using wipes on him? Cats are self cleaning, you don't need to wash him with wipes or in a bucket. Are you sure that's actually skin stuck to the clump of fur? Could it be some substance?

Haven't ever seen anything like that. You might drop by your vet with it tomorrow, if you are sure it is skin.

Since you volunteered the info about his diet (yes, we would have asked) I'm going to go ahead and suggest you stop the kibble all together and just keep him on a wet diet, fed a rotation of brands and proteins to give him a good al around balance.

What brands of wet are you feeding?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Xing - is the rest of his skin dry and flaky? If not then perhaps something sticky got onto his fur and then it set hard and that was what you pulled off with the fur attached.

I agree with lorilu. There is no need to use wipes on him, because he doesn't need them and they contain chemical cleaners and can be very drying to the skin.

Nor does he need to be bathed either, as that is also drying for the cat's skin.

A healthy cat does a wonderful job of washing itself. Is your cat too old or ill to clean himself - is that why you are using wipes on him?

5. Xing

Xing PetForums Newbie

I was using the wipes because he does get dirty even if he's a house cat. And I don't bathe him that often. Perhaps once a month. Also although I called it wipes, it's just wiping him with some water tk get the dirt and grease out. It's the substitute to bathing I found online.
    I've been feeding him whiskas. I didn't think about changing the diet now and then, thanks! I do feed him Royal cannin wet food sometimes but whiskas is the only cat food affordable to me in my country.
    And yes the skin in the rest of his body is fine. But I really think that was dry skin. Not sure if there's any substance at home that could cause a layer like that on being dried.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am sorry, I don't mean to be difficult, but I don't understand why he is getting dirty and greasy. :confused: Is he too ill to wash himself? Cats are very clean animals by nature.

lorilu and OrientalSlave like this.
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I was wondering as well.

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

He may have a naturally greasy coat, bathing once a month with a good product won’t dry the skin or harm the cat.
    There are several products designed for greasy coats if his coat type is the issue that you may be able to order online if not available in your country.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice