Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I Plan To Breed My Moggie....

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by cows573, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cows573

cows573 PetForums Senior

Hi, My name is Claire, and I plan to breed my youngest cat... a Moggie...

Why?

Because I have adopted many cats from rescue agencies (a variety) and they have either died very young or younger than they should have...

I have an aging population of cats, have lost a few recently and have the room for them on 400 odd acres away from any main roads.

None of the rescue agencies within 70 miles of me have cats that they are willing to re-home to a household with other cats, dogs and children.

I have planed this for a while (partially due to the lack of kittens in our area)... have an unrelated intact male that I will have vet checked prior to mating. Have an intact young cat that I am keeping separate from our boy until she is old enough....

All kittens will probably be kept by us... if not, they will be treated as pedigrees prior to rehoming - in other words, 12 weeks, vaccinated, chipped and neutered.

I realise I will probably be hated now on this forum....

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

There's many on here who fully support bybs so not everyone will hate you.

moggie14, ouesi and simplysardonic like this.
  3. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

The problem is, what will the vet check include?

If you have a pedigree you know which conditions you need to test for, with a moggie surely you're going to have to test mum and dad for all conditions that can be tested for. This will cost you thousands.

Surely if you're pro back yard breeding, why not buy one of the many kittens available from a back yard breeder, the country is swarming with kittens at the moment.

Matrod, ouesi, buffie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Well, I don't intend to hate you at all; life is too short! I think tho' you have been unlucky if your rescue cats have died prematurely. Most of mine have been as fit as fleas. One of mine was 20, another was 18 (minimum), a second one was also 18. Sadly my lovely Romanian orphan, Gatsby, was not even six when his kidneys failed. I do remember several years ago reading that Cats' Protection were importing unneutered kittens to somewhere (Jersey? an island anyway, there were pictures of them boarding a boat, maybe the Isle of Wight, sorry I can't remember), and I often wondered if they would regret it and end up with a population explosion, tho' I imagine and hope they would monitor any ensuing kittens produced by the ones they imported. I believe that was the idea in theory.
    I adopted/rescued a young, very small and very heavily pregnant female (Flo) in 2009 and she obligingly produced seven lovely babies. Fortunately I managed to put them all on a local charity's website and rehome them all (one was brought back as she was a bit bonkers; well, she wasn't brought back, I had to go and get her as they couldn't catch her after three months! She missed her mum). Florrie, her mum, has just been diagnosed with a mammary tumour and the vet said it was most likely (tho' not necessarily) because she wasn't spayed before her first season; so it's all a bit sad as we don't know what is best to do. One vet reckons after removing all three mammary glands down one side she might have a few months...the other reckons she could have a lot longer (up to 30 months if she's lucky). But if she had been spayed before her first season it would have been much less likely to happen. I'm still deciding what to do as vet visits cause her so much stress poor thing
    that she hides and refuses to eat for days afterwards.

ETA: It was Guernsey where there was a shortage some years back (if you can believe it!)

#4 Calvine, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

All our moggies lived long and healthy lives.

ouesi and Calvine like this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I don't think there is any reason why they wouldn't, unless they had had a really lousy deprived start in life, poor things. Pedigree cats are more likely to be prone to certain (inherited) health issues I'd have thought.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry but I can't see any valid reason to intentionally breed moggies when there are so many in rescue of all ages.

Cats Galore is just one rescue & has had over 40 pregnant & nursing cats in already this year.

Why be part of the problem?

Paw87, Matrod, Tigermoon and 6 others like this.
  8. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I thought this was a joke

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sadly no :(

lorilu likes this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As already mentioned..what will your vet check consist of ?
    You do realise that breeders don't have a "health check" as such,their cats both male and female are tested for specific conditions which could be inherited by the kittens.
    Where the hell would you start with moggies ?

Matrod, lorilu and simplysardonic like this.
  11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Knowing how the forum would be likely to react to this statement I'm not really sure why you would post it. You already have cats, why do you desperately need more to the extent of breeding them? As others have said, there are thousands of cats and kittens in rescue, I find it very hard to believe that you are not being allowed any of them.
    To be brutally hones this post smacks of trolling.
    I've had a succession of moggies over 40 years, all apart from one ( who died age 14 in an RTA ) have lived to their late teens.

#11 SusieRainbow, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Paw87, Matrod, Jansheff and 7 others like this.
  12. Vanessa131

Vanessa131 PetForums VIP

Just a few things you need to test both for
    PKD
    HCM
    PRA
    Niemann Pick disease
    HMD
    Glycogen storage disease

In total having a look there are around 20 things that would need to be tested for, good old google also shows that tests range from £50-£200. If either have been outside they will also need to be screened for FIV.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are happy with your decision they why on earth did you feel the need to announce it on a forum?
    I agree with @SusieRainbow this post stinks of trolling.

Matrod, Jansheff, Forester and 4 others like this.
  14. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed, along with some uncalled for derogatory comments about bull breeds on a dog thread a while back.....

Matrod, Jansheff, ouesi and 2 others like this.
  15. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

The part where you state all kittens will be treated as Pedigree's annoys me to be honest.
    All animals, whether pedigree or not should be treated in the correct manner.
    Just because one may be a pedigree doesn't mean that kitten gets a better life, each animal is equal in their own right.

I have nothing against people breeding domestic cats, if done correctly and both parents are blood health tested prior to mating.

It annoys me when i read sad stories like little Kira, where it was obviously done for the money and not for the health of the cats or kittens.

Firedog, claire8234, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

17. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

That was my first impression, but then I thought it odd that someone with 500 likes and 500 posts would suddenly start to troll? Heatstroke??:D

Forester, Lurcherlad and SusieRainbow like this.
  18. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Just for reference .... Laboklin will do 8 tests for around £80.

These are blood tests so better than swab tests and who i use for all my cats and kittens.

Obviously, you would need the vet to microchip before having the bloods taken and results take around 7-8 days to come back.

If you do decide to breed domestic cats, i strongly advise having the bloods done prior to breeding to save little souls from all types of issues.

leashedForLife and Calvine like this.
  19. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The miracle of evolution is due to the ability of genes to mutate. This is happening all the time. On multiple occasions this will has been important for the survival of a species but in many cases there will be harmful mutations and those who inherit them may not survive. Some conditions only become evident after an animal has reproduced itself but that is fine by nature since the line has continued. However it is not good for companion animals.

Because of this 'problem' with genes, there is no sure way to breed 'perfect' animals. Good breeders do the best they can by testing for known conditions in their breed but many of these are probably polygenic in nature and it is often only a susceptibility that may not be triggered in other cats in the line so even neutering any who express bad traits may not be sufficient to prevent those harmful genes being passed to future generations. In any case with non-pedigrees the necessary information is probably not available.

It is likely that the offspring of two cats whose ancestors are unknown will produce completely unexpected offspring and this variation inevitably will not be all good. Producing kittens yourself may ensure they have a good start in life but will never alter their genetic inheritance.

@cows573 I remember you questioning my credentials when I was helping somebody with the birth of their feral kittens. I believe I satisfied you at that time that I was fit to help! I hope you will believe me when I say that you may or may not be happy with the result of your 'experiment.' Breeders do not have magic wands much as they wish it.

20. ouesi

ouesi Guest

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be a warning thread - reasons why not to breed your cat.
    *sigh*

I have a really hard time believing OP can't find kittens/cats any other way. I'm constantly bombarded with offers for kittens. People who's cats (kittens) got pregnant before they could get them spayed, barn cats who aren't spayed, stray cats showing up in people's garages having litters. There is most definitely no shortage of cats... I don't believe there is in the UK either.

Yes, between this post, the "I'm going to breed my collie post" and the bull breed comments, you have to wonder what the OP's intentions on this forum are....

Oh and the pro fox hunting posts. Forgot about those :(

#20 ouesi, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
    Matrod, spotty cats, Rufus15 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice