Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need training!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lisa M, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Lisa M

Lisa M PetForums Member

I have a 9 month old Jack Russell X called Sam.
    She is very well behaved and generally doesnt cause us any problems whatsoever.
    There is one problem we need some help with though. She is crate trained and sleeps in her crate every night. In the morning my husband and I always get up around 6.10am for work. She has started helping us out by barking if we are not downstairs by around that time, that includes Saturdays, Sundays and even those morning when you have the worse hangover possible (Saturday morning for me this week:p)
    Dont get me wrong, i am a devoted pet owner and wouldnt mind getting up at anytime if she is barking because she is desperate to go pee, but the majority of the time she is just desperate to see us. I've tried leaving her to bark, but I'm sure the neighbours will start to complain :( It seems I need some training :D
    My brothers both own rotties and trained them religiously through the pack leader method. Their rotties are beautifully trained. They often tell me all the rules I break and how I shouldnt do this or that. Do I need to adopt their policy for this one problem? or is there another way??

Any help would be appreciated :D

2. AJ

AJ Guest

We had that problem with our pups! They have a part of the kitchen sectioned off for them by a puppy gate. Once they started barking, whining and whatever else they could do to make a noise we went down and let them out but we totally ignored them for a good ten minutes in an atempt to show them even if we did let them out it was no benefit as we were only going to acknowledge them when we decided, it seems to be working as they havent made a sound other than banging each other against the walls playing for the last few mornings. :)

3. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

Thats my problem with dogs.

Seiger is up with the birds and as my relationship with my neighbors is pretty bad (he complaines that my dogs bark when l am out) I can't let him continue.

Personally if l lived in a detached place well away from anyone l would just let him bark, he would soon give it up.

Here l have to dash down the stairs as soon as l hear the first grumble or he will be off and as he is a big GSD he makes quite a racket. I also can't let the little ones get in on it as they screech!

4. consett_steve

consett_steve PetForums Newbie

Have you tried a 'barkbuster', I didnt like the idea of these at first but I find if its placed in the room/area they are barking in, it soon takes effect.

Although don't leave it in the room with them all the time as they can often get used to the noise leaving it less effective.

Steve

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice