UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bloody dog :mad:

Just went upstairs to find that he had gotten into the bedroom and peed on the bed, my tempur memory foam pillow and even managed to get a couple drops on my macbook.

I really don't know what has gotten into him, I thought we had this sorted. He is almost 2 now for goodness sake, not a little unhouse-trained puppy. Just feels like we're going backwards with him at the moment :mad2:

I'm upset as well because I'm sure he has now ruined the pillow and this mattress isn't even a year old (also memory foam). I just don't know what to do with him sometimes :( And with his DA not getting any better he just seems like a 'naughty dog'. I don't enjoy walking him at the minute and spend the whole time panicking about coming across another dog, and now I feel I have to watch him constantly in the house. Feel at a loss right now :(

Why can't he just behave :sad:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having troubles with Eddie. I think most dog owners have a point with one of their dogs where they're close to break down! :eek: Have a cup of tea and try to chill out, things will get better!

For the toilet issues, does he seem to go a lot? Have you taken him to the vet to rule out a UTI? If theres nothing medically wrong, i'd personally start from basics again like a puppy, keeping him crated or in a smaller area (like in the kitchen with a stairgate) when you cant 100% supervise him. Some people tether their dogs to themselves while they're around the house so they can watch for any signs (circling, sniffing ect). Have you tried using a command word for going to the toilet? I use this when I want my dogs to empty themselves before I go out, or when I think they want to go but dont want to get wet when its raining! Can be really handy.

Sorry I havnt been following your story, but for the DA/DR, has he always been bad with other dogs or is it sudden? Have you had his thyroid tested if its sudden? Are you attending any classes or speaking to a behaviourist about this? Sometimes having a group environment with support from someone qualified and other owners can be really beneficial.

All the best for you both

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear you're having troubles with Eddie. I think most dog owners have a point with one of their dogs where they're close to break down! :eek: Have a cup of tea and try to chill out, things will get better!

For the toilet issues, does he seem to go a lot? Have you taken him to the vet to rule out a UTI? If theres nothing medically wrong, i'd personally start from basics again like a puppy, keeping him crated or in a smaller area (like in the kitchen with a stairgate) when you cant 100% supervise him. Some people tether their dogs to themselves while they're around the house so they can watch for any signs (circling, sniffing ect). Have you tried using a command word for going to the toilet? I use this when I want my dogs to empty themselves before I go out, or when I think they want to go but dont want to get wet when its raining! Can be really handy.

Sorry I havnt been following your story, but for the DA/DR, has he always been bad with other dogs or is it sudden? Have you had his thyroid tested if its sudden? Are you attending any classes or speaking to a behaviourist about this? Sometimes having a group environment with support from someone qualified and other owners can be really beneficial.

All the best for you both
He hasn't been going any more than normal but this is something we use to have a problem with when he was a puppy. The annoying this is he is brill with letting us know he needs to go and we have a stong 'wee wees' command which works wonders (yes, we sound like idiots saying it but there we go!). This is why I don't understand it, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason I can think off other than to be rebellious (which I know sounds ridiculous and I am taking it far too personally).

In regards to the DA. As a puppy and up until the age of about 16 months old he was brilliant with other dogs. In fact if anything he was quite a submissive little thing. We use to go religiously to dog training and in terms of obedience it did him wonders and he use to love it. But at around the age of 16months he was mounted by a large corgi puppy and he ended up biting it to get it off. It was the first time he had ever 'attacked' another dog and definitely the first time he had ever had any contact with one and it seems to be since then that any time he meets a dog he doesn't know he instantly tries to attack it. With dogs he knows well he is brilliant with and just loves to play with no problem. In the end we've had to stop going to the dog training because I would end up having to keep a distance from everyone else because he would start to go for the dogs and he ended up being more fixated on that than anything else. I just feel completely at a loss with it :(
Oh, and i have spoken a few times to the vets about it and there doesn't appear to be anything medically to have brought it on.

G

·
As a quick fix to save more of your bedding etc can you baby gate the the stairs or hallway to the bedroom.?

Also it might be worth getting a behaviourist in to see how he is with other dogs and the peeing in the house issue and see if they can give you some direction.

Failing that, please people don't hurl things at me, but have you thought about short term use of a belly band while he's in the house and you can't keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also now feel awful as I just accidently put his beloved antler dog chew through the wash! Arghhh. Things are not going my way today :mad2:
Poor little sod, just had to order him a new one.

As a quick fix to save more of your bedding etc can you baby gate the the stairs or hallway to the bedroom.?

Also it might be worth getting a behaviourist in to see how he is with other dogs and the peeing in the house issue and see if they can give you some direction.

Failing that, please people don't hurl things at me, but have you thought about short term use of a belly band while he's in the house and you can't keep an eye on him.
What's a belly band? (Sorry if I sound dumb?)
And yeah, I'm thinking a behaviourist is the way to go but there seem to be so many out there, how do you know who's reliable/knows what they are talking about :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.