Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i need some help =/

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by izzy720, May 9, 2010.

1. izzy720

izzy720 PetForums Newbie

ok, just yesterday i got a pet newt. i wasnt sure whether to put this in the reptile forums, cuz he's a herp, or aquarium forums because he's in water, so i apologize if i got this in the wrong place.

anyway, like i said i got a newt, i think he's a paddle-tailed newt to be more exact. but i'm getting kinda worried. i was told that he needs a rock or a platform that he can get up out of the water and sit if he wants. so i got a little piece of petrified wood. but i'm worried because since i got him he's never once gotten up there. i risked setting him on it once, and he just sorta slipped back down into the water. i wonder if it's too high? the water is about 2 inches deep, which for him is pretty deep, but by the way the man at the aquarium who sold it to me was talking, i thought he'd be able to swim up there. the top of the petrified wood is slanted, one side of it is partly submerged in the water, the other is on top.

anyway, being an amphibian he's definitely not purely aquatic, and im desperate to find out if i should lower the water level so he can get on his platform, or what i should do, or if its fine for him to stay down there if he wants.

2. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Amphibians aren't all necessarily semi-aquatic, there are several fully aquatic amphibians such as African Dwarf frogs (Hymenochirus sp.).

Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton labiatus) are almost exclusively aquatic, so whoever told you that they need access to dry land either has their wires crossed or needs to clarify a few facts.

There's also no need to lower the water level, so long as it's around 10-12" deep.

3. izzy720

izzy720 PetForums Newbie

ah sweet. that makes me a lot less nervous. thanks for the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice