Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i need some help with my new puppy please!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by hammers24, Jun 8, 2010.

1. hammers24

hammers24 PetForums Junior

hi im the proud owner of a german sherpard cross rottie. at the moment im trying to crete train her. (im a 1st time puppy owner by the way) rite when i put her into her crete at night with her toys comfey bed she protests and crys anything between 30 mins to 2 hours and when she does stop it can be for 10 mins and it will start over again and again. ive tried the clock in her bed put a radieo on give her some of my clothing but to no sucess and 2night will be the 3rd night of me having her. is there anything else i can do apart from just ignore her?? ive slept bt her crete and she crys. she has to be with me all the time. i think this could be sepration anxiety or is it she is missing her litter.i worried she is getting stressed out tho i know she is sitting in the crete and not trying to get out. any advise?? thanks

2. shrek_0

shrek_0 PetForums Junior

Im not a dog expert but I have my 1st dogs (other than when I had them as a child) and I had the same thing,as far as I know its all normal, I did, on 2 occasion come back down,take him out of the crate and slept on the sofa with him, in spite of everyones warnings not to start it.Its really hard not to when they are crying AND you are deprived of sleep. Having said that, I only did it on 2 occasions and the rest I persevered with ignoring the whimpering/crying (thought it was soooo hard)and it didnt take long at all for the crying to stop. I did get up in the night to let him out for a wee, as I felt it unfair to leave a pup go that long without, and then I didnt switch lights on or talk to him, soon as he'd wee he'd go staright back in the crate,it was well worth sticking it out, if you cave they will get worse, you will train them that the crying produces affection/attention. I dont know if this would be true (im sure someone with more experience will come along and confirm or deny this) but if you dog realises that his crying means you come to him, I would assume that this could lead to more than just when hes left in the crate at night eg, when you go out etc.
    Good luck

3. Taylors Petfoods

Taylors Petfoods PetForums Junior

keep at it, never give in. Its the same as putting your kids to bed. when they cry don't give them any affection as this will make it worse. say nothing if you do check on her and let her out for a wee. Its very hard but the rewards are great.
    Good luck

4. hammers24

yes it is very hard for example she been in her crete an hour now. tring to get her use to it wiv out over using the crete. cried for 45 mins and now has been quiet for 15. but i know she will start again soon has this seems to be her routine.anyway im trying so hard not to go down there and see her.if anyone has anymore advise it i would be most thankfull

5. hammers24

anymore advise please who ever looks at this topic please i really need it!!!!

6. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

does sh use the crate on her own during the day?

im no expert but we let bobby sleep in it during the day with a cover over the top so he could use it as a den kinda thing if that makes sense.

hope you get some more advise soon.

P.S ignoring bobby was hard and i let him out to wee through he night put him back in and he went to sleep right away it takes time an patience but you gotta stick with it as it does get easier.

*Kara*
    xx

7. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Hi we are going through this to we have a 12 week old JRT we have had her 4 weeks, it has taken us 3 weeks to get her into her crate on a night she goes in now and most of the time settles if she hears us moving about upstairs it sets her off again, we put a radio near her crate we have it on quite loud so sge dosnt hear us. Its awful but you just have to leave her have you covered the crate we also tried rescue remedy drops. We are still having probs on a morning OH gets up at 6 lets her out and puts her back in crate then she starts barking again and dosnt stop till i get up a 7am hopefully this will change and she will get used to it. You are not alone in this its awful i was thinking for a few day what have i gone and done.

8. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

I've been lucky as I've not had any problems using a crate but I would suggest making sure you use the crate in a positive way, play with her in and around it, use treats and affection when she's in it, dont always just lock her in for sleeping time. Also do you have a cover over it? I found this helped to settle them. I would stick it out and keep using it through the day, put her in and when she stops crying for a brief time thats when to go and get her out, dont fuss her when u take her out. As long as u know she is safe and toileted try to ignore the cries, it will get better :)

9. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

After 1st 2 awful nights with my puppy I put her in the crate, left a night light on and went to bed and put my iPod on so I couldn't hear her!! Mind you I did put a puppy pad in half the crate so she could go if she needed to. Only took a week or so until she cried to go out and then went straight back in to sleep. Now goes from 9.30 to 5.30/6 with only one loo break. You will get there just persevere with it

10. hammers24

thanks everryone for all your advise. just put her in crate as she is sleeping on the sofa. moaned for 5 mins and now being quiet. sucess i hope. will keep u all up to date on how me and my puppy progrss. i will try the cover thing 2

11. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

If you're not already, move her crate to the bedroom at night, pop it on top of something sturdy right next to your side of the bed so she is the same height as your bed. If she can see you clearly she will settle.

I also wouldn't put toys in there for her. If the crate is too big this will also not help. If she does start jiggling about in her crate with everything else done right, it is because she needs the toilet. If you learn to recognise this sign you will have peace :)

To get her used to the crate, do as the others have suggested ... throughout the day if she falls asleep pick her up gently and quietly and put her in there. Be sure to close the door as well. If she associates the crate with sleeping, that is all she will use it for eventually.

The crate should only really be just big enough for her to lay down in. It may mean getting a few different ones as she grows, but you can sell them on the likes of ebay to recoup money back on the ones she outgrows.

How old is she btw? and where the heck are the cute puppy pics? :D

12. hammers24

do u mean close the create door?? pics will be coming very soon just got to upload them.crate being in the bedroom dont work either i had tried. i bought a big create so she would grow into it. she is 9 weeks old

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Yes hon, close the crate door, just like you would at night. If you keep things the same during the day, she will find it easier to adjust at night. Obviously when she is awake she should be let out to play and go to the loo.

Can you get a crate that is just big enough for her? Try putting a wanted add on freecycle if money is tight. The one you have now can be used when she is bigger. But I would highly recommend you sort that bit out first. I'm not saying you will unsuccessful with it, but it will take longer and you may have more problems than you need to have.

When you have tried it in the bedroom did you have the crate right next to your side of the bed, raised up so the base of her cage is level with you in bed? It really does make a difference, trust me :) It doesn't need to be a permanent thing, you can always gradually move her out of your bedroom in a little while once she has gotten used to things, maybe a month or two. The benefit of doing it during the day all around the house will also help with adjusting to moving her crate at night. As she will know that she will be safe where ever she is in her crate after a while.

Just another bit about toys... if you leave toys in her crate she will think it is OK to play in there. This will also prolong the whole process :)

The last two pups we have crate trained were used to their crates within a week, Bella my Rough Collie was used to it in 3 days :eek: But this is only because I trained myself to be strict and follow everything I have mentioned above. I also have never had any accidents in the house with Bella for the same reason :D

Good luck. If you need anymore advice, don't be afraid to ask. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

14. hammers24

yes thanks for your help.piccys will be on here very soon

15. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

How did it go last night any better?:)

16. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Hope things are improving. We worked with Monty and his crate straight away, popping him in it when we was already sleeping.

He was in the crate (closed) overnight from day one.

These days after his nighttime toilet, I go into the kitchen and he follows me I point to his bed in the crate as say 'go to beddies Monty' (lol) and in he pops, I give him an ice cube and he settles right down.

The first week or so he did cry a bit, so we'd sit with him until he settled/was asleep, then quietly left him alone. He got so used to it that he doesn't fuss anymore :)

So don't worry, it'll come in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice