Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

i need some help and advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shazzy64, Mar 17, 2008.

1. shazzy64

shazzy64 PetForums Newbie

martha is my six week old whippet.how do i train her to sleep on her own for the past 4 nights since i got her she has been sleeping in my bedroom but is waking every two hours and is getting on my bed, and wanting to play and ios chewing my face and nipping i have returned her to her bed xamount of times but to no avail,would it be ok to train her now to sleep on her own in a safe and warm enviroment please can anyone help me i am so tired

2. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Oh my god lol i know it seems hard to leave them at nigh but honestly she may protest for a few night but yes get her outa there lol . Try a crate they can be an expense but a good investment as they can double up as somewhere safe during the day when you go out or even to go in the boot of your car if you go on long journeys , I found the cheepest on E bay and it was so valuable to us when our dog was a pup you can put a bed one end and a puppy mat the other while she a small and as she gats bigger she will be able to go for longer periods without having to wee . If you give in to her she will see that as you being week and she has won so it could lead to problems with other training issues she needs to see you as boss so be strong , if you dont want to crate her put het in a room where she will be safe with a bed , nothing wrong with her being on her own honest
    Andrea

3. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

I also see she is only 6 weeks old that very young for her to have been seperated from her mom maybe use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel under her blanket that way she wont wake up cold and make sure she has water if wanted , no food though dont get in the habbit of feeding her during the night to make her quiet or you,l be up all the time .

4. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have used a clock wrapped up in a blanket to,,, the ticking of the clock can help settle them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D:D

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yep me too
    i would get her out the bedroom or your end up having more problems later on and in to a crate with a hot water bottle.
    let her moan and groan for a few nights but will soon get used to it.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

my little shih tzu screamed the house down ,first few nights,, it sounded like we were murdering her,,,,but now, when we start letting al lthe dogs out for a wee, and turning stuff off ,she knows its bedtime,, and jumps in her little bed,,,,,,,,,and not a peep until morning,,,,,,,,,,,,:D:D

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Or put the crate in your bedroom so your close by to take her to relieve herself during the night,you can gradually move it out of your bedroom.You may want to drap an old sheet over the top & back as to make it like a den.

8. garryd

garryd Guest

I agree with andrea ,you need to buy a cage;)its the only option;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice