Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

I need some advise/help, in regards to a kitten I have.

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by ineedhelpsoicamehere, Dec 21, 2019.


  1. ineedhelpsoicamehere

    ineedhelpsoicamehere PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Hi, this is my first post and I really do not know how to deal with this situation.

    My cat (I don’t know if I can specify breed, so I won’t) had a litter of kittens in the first few days of October (I know the date) and all has gone well with them. She had 4 bundles of joy and all but 1 have gone to loving homes, that I keep in regular contact with. The problem I am having is with the people her last baby was supposed to be going to.

    I thought I had been extremely thorough when choosing the new families my girls babies where going to, but I was clearly wrong. I turned countless amounts of people away when they where old enough to be viewed and I have still been left in a situation, I can’t work out how to deal with.

    I will start from the beginning. The people in question came to view the kittens and all seemed well, before them coming I had a lengthy phone call with one of the couple and they seemed a great fit for one of my kittens, so I invited them to view them. The viewing went really well (or so I thought) and I decided they would be able to provide one of my babies a life long home. They told me, while at the viewing, that they (mainly the other half) wanted to visit family for Christmas and they would not be able to collect the kitten until the after the Christmas period. We agreed on a specific date and they gave me a deposit (something I will never take again) and left.

    Now this is were I need the help. There has been no contact from the couple, until the other day, when I messaged them (it took them over 24hrs to respond). So it has been weeks since I have spoken to them or had any communication whatsoever. I kept leaving it thinking (hoping) the feeling in my stomach was wrong and they would message, but they never did. Until I messaged her the other day, that is.

    In her reply she told me she was not able to pick him up on the original date, due to her and her partner deciding to extend their trip. So they are going to pick him up A day or two late. Baring in mind I have had no contact with them for weeks and they did not discuss with me if that was okay or convenient. By this point my fears had been confirmed and this couple was not having one of my babies go to them, as I feel they are not right for him and will not be able to look after him and provide him with a life long home. So I message her informing her that I am not happy with her having him and that I will give her the deposit back. She messaged back telling me she hadn’t messaged (not even a “how is he”) because her and her partner had been to busy, with her partner studying and her being made redundant (which I didn’t know about? I understand things change, but that would have been an important thing to tell me, as they already have a big dog and animals are not cheap) She then tried to insult me by saying that she would rather spend time with her dog (and my baby once she got him) then text. I know this is slightly pathetic, but we had agreed she would send me updates every now and then, but clearly that wasn’t going to be her intention. She then tried to make me feel bad by saying the one thing that was making her less upset about her redundancy was the kitten. After this she told me that she understands I have grown attached to the him (the kitten). As if to say this is the reason I have decided they are not right for him. Not the fact that they have shown zero interest in him since they payed the deposit. So I replied and stated that the kittens where my main priority and my decision was not going to be changed and asked for her bank details for the second time to give her back the deposit. She then replied saying she is offended by what I have said, she doesn’t appreciate the way I handled the situation and that I am trying to guilt trip her. So once again I stated I was not meaning to cause offence, I am just thinking of his best interest and that I will return the deposit if she gives me her details.

    After hours of waiting for a reply her partner messaged me asking me to explain the situation, so I did. When he responded he told me I was breaching a contract and that I am liable for all of their costs, including the procurement, outlay for the kittens equipment (cat scratcher, litter tray...) as well as the distress caused to his partner.(what distress? She hadn’t messaged or tried to get any information/pictures of him since she came and viewed him. She has only seen him once while viewing him and to be perfectly honest clearly doesn’t care about him) he also said he would be in contact with me in the new year with a break down of the costs, outlay and distress caused.
    He also stated that if we did not come to an agreement, he would be lodging a claim through an online money claim website.

    Two hours after his messages I received bank statements off of his partner.

    So I am asking, what should I do? They are not having the kitten as I do not feel they are the right people for him, which I feel they have proved by the way he is threatening to sue me. I offered to give them back their deposit on multiple occasions and if there was/is a contract would that not have been void by her changing the date she was supposed to collect him (the kitten)?

    No contract has been signed by the way.

    Any help will be greatfully appreciated as I am NOT giving them the kitten. Especially after all of this.
     
  2. ineedhelpsoicamehere

    ineedhelpsoicamehere PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
  3. Rufus15

    Rufus15 Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2015
    Messages:
    5,487
    Likes Received:
    6,698
    As you have evidence of messages asking for bank details to return the deposit, there is very little they can do. Just keep asking for their bank or paypal details and don't deviate from that line.

    Are you a registered breeder? If not I would strongly advise against continuing to breed until you have an active registered girl of a breed of your choosing and are being mentored by her breeder.
     
    Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  4. ineedhelpsoicamehere

    ineedhelpsoicamehere PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Thanks for replying, they provided me with their bank details 2 hours after they threatened to sue me, would you suggest I transfer the deposit back or not?
     
  5. Rufus15

    Rufus15 Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2015
    Messages:
    5,487
    Likes Received:
    6,698
    Yes, transfer back and block all contact
     
    Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  6. ineedhelpsoicamehere

    ineedhelpsoicamehere PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Okay, thank you so much for your help. I sent them the deposit back as soon as I got your reply. Should I inform them I have sent it back and then block them or just block them?
     
  7. Rufus15

    Rufus15 Banned

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2015
    Messages:
    5,487
    Likes Received:
    6,698
    I would inform both of them, screenshot both, and then block
     
    Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  8. ineedhelpsoicamehere

    ineedhelpsoicamehere PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2019
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    1
    Okay, thank you for all of your help, i have informed them, screen recorded the messages and then blocked them both.
     
    chillminx likes this.
  9. spotty cats

    spotty cats PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    Messages:
    7,887
    Likes Received:
    4,708
    Kittens born first week of October aren't ready to leave mum until early January, sad that most have been rehomed already.

    Just return the deposit and cease contact, simple :) had they not provided bank details, you could have mailed a money order or cheque back to them.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice