Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need Rabbit Breeding tips

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Winchester, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Winchester

Winchester PetForums Member

This thread is old.

#1 Winchester, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

there are so many buns in rescues at the mo especially young ones who really need a decent early start in life, I would strongly recommend not bothering and having ur pair of rabbits neutered and spayed, this will make them much friendlier rabbits aswell so has a great advantage for u and will stop them getting nasty cancers.

If however u still want to go ahead with breeding u must consider all of these...
    u must know the genetics of the rabbits for a least 3 generations, this will prevent interbreeding and hereditary problems like bad teeth which can cost a fortune to maintain.
    it is possible that u could end up with 9 kits, do u have home for all of these?
    Ur female rabbit needs to be at least 6months? (older if a big breed) and under 12 months as her hips will fuse into place at this age making it impossible to give birth.
    u may want to have ur rabbits vet checked so make sure that 1 doesnt have something that they could pass on to the other, ie conjunctivitis, mites, viruses etc. I would also recommend that both parents be vaccinated for VHD and Mixi as this will pass some immunity on to the kits.
    The female rabbit should also have insurance, incase their are complications which could cost u 100's, however I'm not sure insurance would cover breeding?
    u will need a hutch and run connected for the mum rabbit so she can still get exercise and look after the kits, this must be big enough to house say 10 almost fully grown rabbits as u will need to keep them til they are 8 - 10 weeks old. A shed would be best. If u do not find homes for all of them by 12 weeks u will have to separate the boys form girls.
    As the breeder u have the responsibility to make sure they go to good homes with the right size hutches, and that if they are for children then the children are old enough to be able to pick ur breed of rabbit up and that the adult takes full responsibility for the care of the rabbits even if for children.
    U would also be wise to find a local breeder in ur area and visit them for advice, first hand is always the best way to learn

I hope this is of some help, it really is a massive commitment not just to urself in terms of time and money, but also to the kits.

If u have any more questions then please ask :)
    would love to see some photos

crofty likes this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree with this.

With well over 30,000 buns of all ages sat in rescue, there really is no justification for breeding from buns who's history is most likely unknown.

Also, so many people who say they want one, will change their minds when the babies are finally here. This is something you must consider if you go ahead with the breeding. You must be prepared to keep and house the entire litter.
    Because of the economic climate, many people are giving up pets, and many have also stopped breeding.

crofty likes this.
  4. Winchester

#4 Winchester, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. Winchester

I have looked through books and found the answers to most of my questions, as well as asked a couple breeders. When can the babies be handled once they are born?

I will definitely post up pictures :p

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi there, if you are adament on breeding your buns then read this throughly:

Rabbit Rehome - What's Involved in Breeding Rabbits

This is from a rabbit re-homing site. If you click straight onto the link then it has valuable information and questions that you should ask yourself way before breeding.

I can not give advice as to when you can handle baby bunnies. Because when i was breeding (5 years ago now) i could handle each and every litter at different times to another. It depended on mummy bun really.

Are you prepared to take back and keep any rabbit (whatever age), that the new owners couldn't keep/didn't want etc.............do not breed if any of your babies have the possibilty of ending up in rescue.

This is a great place to ask though! I have learnt a few things being on here!

7. Winchester

I will take them back anytime, and none of my animals will EVER end up with me bringing them to a shelter/rescue. I have tons of extra cages in storage still in their boxes. I'm also building a big bunny condo for the Bunnies and the Guinea pigs.

Just a note to everyone: I do not breed animals until I am fully prepared to take on all of the responsibilities of breeding, and yes I read a lot about breeding before I even attempt to do it myself. A couple of my moms friends are rabbit breeders as well.

8. Winchester

Does anybody have some HELPFULL tips? No matter what they are

9. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

the handling really depends on the mum, she may be very aggressive towards u and protective of her young while they are still in the nest. u may find u get a wanderer who will need putting back before he gets too cold (best to stroke the mum lots before moving so u smell of her). personally I would wait until they are fury and running about by themselves, but i think different breeders do this at different times

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i am a rabbit breeder i will pm you my email addy for help and advice

11. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I do... but I'm not sure you'll like it... lol
    The rescue centres are full to bursting with cross-breeds like yours.

This is not meant AT ALL as offence to the lovely rabbits up & down the country already in rescue, but in the meantime there are a good many exquisitely beautiful rabbit breeds some of them hundreds of years old, which are dying out because people don't know about them & only want the small fluffy, loppy types they see in PAH etc. The rare breeds never end up in rescue because they are so rare but when they do, they get snapped up straight away because people have never seen them before and they are so breathtakingly beautiful.

If you really wanted to breed, why not go for these instead and learn about a certain breed? Or do some research and find out what types of rabbits people want to buy (if they do not go to a rescue). These days any animal, pedigree or crossbred, can end up unwanted. If you deliberately want to breed - which is itself open to ethics more so than ever in view of the recession - then you are duty-bound to do everything you can to make sure they get forever homes from the start.

Rabbits live a loooong time - they can easily get to 8, 9 or even 12 years old in many cases. That's the same if not more than most dogs!

Will you still be interested in these babies 10 years from now? Or is it a case of here today gone tomorrow? What backup could you provide 10 years from now if one of your babies you bred turned up in rescue? Have you thought of microchipping them before they leave you so you could rescue one back if its chip was traced to you in 6 years time?

Hope this gets you thinking :)

12. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hey loppys are full breeds too :D i breed french lops :p

i wouldnt advise anyone to breed a cross breed, i didnt read the lady had cross breeds, but then i am tired from work and probably read it wrong lol

13. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

im sorry but i dont believe there is anything wrong with cross breeds. Firstly they are quite often healthier and secondly does it really matter, they are still rabbits, we bred them to be different breeds in the first place its not like its some endangered species. Why should we only keep animals just because they look a certain way and have pedegrees. they are still all lives and all rabbits. Iv just never understood it. Okay if you are really passionate about the way a rabbit looks then fine buy those ones but a lot of people arent bothered about the breed of their rabbit because at the end of the day they are all rabbits. They all behave like rabbits and have the same rabbityness about them, breed shouldnt matter. the breeds all stared out as cross breeds at one point anyway and if some breeds are becoming rare then maybe its beause people do not like that breed and if thats the case why breed something no one wants, its a waste of lives!!!

I dont think its right to have a go at someone if they want to breed cross breeds which by the way i dont think has even been mentioned!!

14. frags

frags PetForums VIP

after reading this i have to say i agree, some of the most stunning buns ive seen are cross breeds.
    i have given the lady some advice via email as if she is going to breed regardless then its better to breed with good advice rather than not know.

cassie01 likes this.
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Did I have a go? I'm sorry if it came across like that, but that wasn't what i meant. The main point of my post was responsible breeding.

16. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

sorry, i didnt mean to snap. just one of those things i feel very strongly about, lol. also sorry it took so long for me to apologise, i was distracted by the argument in the dog section. i usually miss all the arguing so i was keen to stay on top of this one. ;)

17. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Crossbreeds are lovely but what is the point in breeding more when there are over 33,000 sat in rescues????? :confused: They are the most common bunny its the specific breeds that are dying out :rolleyes: And i didnt see anyone 'having a go'.

This thread is going to turn into another arguement and quite frankly i have seen everyone give friendly advice and this newbie just being damn right rude!!!!

Winchester no-one has been un-friendly, i think you should be less aggressive. At the end of the day its obvious you dont care and you will breed your rabbits anyway like so many others mindlessly do for no other resaon than you want to 'have a go' at it. Its great you have homes lined up but i cant see why those people wouldnt rehome buns already waiting homes sat in rescues? Thats just my OPINION which i am entitled too.

#17 crofty, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  18. R freeman

R freeman PetForums Newbie

what do you want to know i have bred rabbits so any thing you want to know i will try to answer for you:wink5:

19. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Well done Frags. Afterall this person is only asking for advice so that they can do the breeding in the post possible way and make sure the rabbits are looked after during the process! :D

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thats incorrect.. Most deformities and dental issues are seen in crossbreeds, as the genetics histories are usually unknown.
    Of course there are health issues in pure breeds, but to say crosses are healthier is factually inaccurate.

Ive seen loads of buns with dental probs, and they were ALL crosses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice