Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need one of these dogs!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

While doing yet more reasearch on dogs (i know it takes over any spare time!) that are in my shortlist for my next puppy. I looked up this dog because i like them but never thought any more about. Well its quite to say they have also made the shortlist.........it keeps getting longer and therefore harder :(

The dog is the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, same marking as the Bernese Mountain dog but short fur. Still a large breed and really good temprement. They are very rare in the UK. But i love them ♥ ♥ :001_wub:

I have attached some pics: first two pups and other two adults. The last one is comparing mum's paws to her one day old pup.......so cute!

Attached Files:

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

What a beautiful breed! I admit I know next to nothing about them but from the pics they are stunning. Do you know what they are like to train?

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

They are a fairly easy breed to train. They respond well to firm but gentle training. And for the owner not to give in ;) lol! That could be difficult with such a cutie :)

4. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

See this is why I shouldn't look at pics of other breeds. Now my "someday" list is getting longer too!

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I know its bad! I had a shortlist of my new puppy, but researching everything about them, you come across other breeds or think 'oh i'll just look up about this dog to see if they are good with cats'' for example and the list is getting longer lol!!!
    See you can over research lol!

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Those are such gorgeous dogs and I guess a lot easier to groom than the bernese. But I've heard they can be stubborn and sort of hard to train.

7. Captain.Charisma

Captain.Charisma PetForums VIP

awww they look adoreable, if i am right is the greater swiss moutain dog a tad bigger than the bernese as well ?

I persume they were both carting dogs , giving there sheer size and mass ?... they should then have good temprement like you say and be lovely pets:)

8. Captain.Charisma

haha, same same... what other dogs are on your list ? :p see if its aslong as mine :D haha

9. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I think they used to be carting dogs but then nearly died out when the industrial revolution happened and they didn't need them anymore so they had to be saved from maybe a few dogs. Don't even talk about short lists of breeds for next dogs I have a good 20 on mine.

10. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I know someone with them, and have swam one for her.
    He was less than a year old and 70kgs:eek:
    Appart from being a big lump he was lovely a big dopey sop who loved being cuddled and was def stubborn. At that size they do what they want!
    Have u checked out the tibetan mastiff yet...another lovely giant:D

11. Captain.Charisma

Yeah, that could sound very likely. They would be very strong dogs, so i could image the could pull a fair bit of weight. Woah 20 on your short list, that even beats mine :D

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

It does seem to keep growing its worrying. I won't be getting another dogs for a couple of years anyway plenty of time to cut it down. I'm just trying to work out how pomeranians sneaked onto it I don't like toy dogs but I would love a merle pomeranian.

13. Captain.Charisma

Tibetan Mastiffs are hugeeee too, didnt the the Rotti come down from them ?

14. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Is the theory not that most or all the molasser dogs are from them? Our neighbour has one he's 6 months old I think and massive already ridiculously cute though.

15. Robz

Robz PetForums Newbie

Wow! They are stunning :]
    My favourite is the 2nd one on the Left (L)

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I know! I am going to find out more about them................lol!

17. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Most of what I know about them worringly comes from CM because they had a beautiful 10 month old one on it that had food aggression issues. But even they were saying how great temperments they have but they do need a lot of training as they can be pretty stubborn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice