Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need information on importing a dog to the Uk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by monika, Apr 11, 2011.

1. monika

monika PetForums Junior

Hi, I hope you can help me with information. One person from the Uk was on vacation in Bulgaria and he fell in love with a homeless dog over there. He got so attached to the dog that now by all means he wants us to help him and send him the dog over to the Uk.
    I know that DEFRA requires tests and vaccinations for rabies and the dog will be in quarantine for 6 months but is there any certified laboratories in Bulgaria that are approved by DEFRA?
    there is another option to send the dog to the UK for all test and quarantine but this is way to expensive i guess. is it?
    also i need to know how can we send the dog by air.maybe by cargo? or by a regular plane.
    We have been sending quite many dogs to Holland and Germany but its so much easier. Can someone help me and give me all requirements what should be done from our side in Bulgaria. We really want to help the dog and the wonderful person who wants to adopt the dog.

Thank you in advance.

2. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

Contact Defra Defra - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for approved Bulgarian labratories and here's the link for all the information you need to bring a dog into the Uk
    Travelling with pets « Defra

I'm afraid there is no easy option whether your friend opts for quarantine here in the Uk or 6 months in Europe after a clear rabies test - both will prove expensive and time consuming- it cost me £3000 to import from France - you could do it cheaper if you had someone in Europe willing to have the dog for 6 months without payment.

good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice