Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I need help!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by hamsterlover123, May 6, 2021.

1. hamsterlover123

hamsterlover123 PetForums Member

OK! Here is the reveal! I am a kid and know that I got that out of the way I need some help.
    Whenever I tell my mom not to something ( like not to wake up the hamster cause it will get stressed or to not feed it something) she gets mad at me and does it anyways. She will not stand for hamster care videos and kinda thinks pets don't need that much care plz help!

2. Thea_SRA27

Thea_SRA27 Thea

Hi!

Aw, that is tricky :( Firstly, does she allow you to have a large enough enclosure and take your hamster to the vet if it's unwell? Those are the most important things. If not, I think that is wrong as when you get a pet it's a huge commitment and you have to at least do those two. You sound like a great owner, showing this much care, it's not at all your fault.

Have you explained to her about how pet shop information isn't normally correct? Most people follow pet shop care, and it sounds like you don't want to do this.

If it is just things like her waking the hamster up, that still isn't good of course. Obviously it isn't good to argue with your mom, but you could give her some examples, like how she wouldn't want to be woken up, and it's just the same for hamsters, because they are nocturnal and their night is our day.

I don't have a hamster, but when I first got gerbils a few years ago, my parents loved them but we hadn't done loads of research. Just to give you a bit of hope, they didn't really know why they needed some of the things I explained like bigger cages in the beginning, but the more I explained it and showed them what other people said, the easier it became, and now I'm very happy with where my care is at :) If you're on a hamster forum like hamster hideout, perhaps you could make a thread on hamster care and show your mom the replies you get? That's one of the main reasons my parents are so good with my gerbils now.

I really hope it goes well for you, update us on anything that happens!

3. hamsterlover123

Thank you so much, Thea. And for your question, yes she does as long as if it is with my money. (I buy everything for my hamster because that was the rule and I am doing well) I will give examples and I guess she does not know everything because she told me that my hamster would love to swim and I told her that to gives them wet tail and it looks like she did that with hers when she was little but I did not let her do it but I do not want my parents to be mad but I also want my hamster's well being.
    (sorry that was a bit wordy)

4. hamsterlover123

Update. gave mom examples and she still bothers it and puts it in her pocket and treats it as a toy!

5. hamsterlover123

This has been going on for a month now. i don't know what to do

6. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. You really need to have a serious conversation with your mom that this is your hamster and not a play thing. Her experience with her own hamster may not necessarily apply to your hamster. Hamsters may have a meek and docile character and may not be able to speak up if they are uncomfortable with the way they are being handled and you are their voice. So for your mom, maybe if waking up the hamster and putting them into a pocket, treating it as a toy, the hamster hasn't made any aggressive behaviours it may just mean they are too polite to do so but are distressing in silence. Silence does not constitute as an ok!!

You have clearly done a lot of research into for the best welfare and care practices. You are an excellent and responsible pet owner far as I can see.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Have you got another family member who would house him for you, where you can visit regularly but they could stop your mum having access?

Otherwise, maybe a good local rescue would take him as a “lodger” so you cover his costs and visit him regularly but he gets the right care and handling in your absence.

I can’t see your mum changing her ways tbh.

I wouldn’t get any more pets while you’re still living at home either.

8. Knighterist

Knighterist PetForums Member

I guess that's the best solution which I didn't have the courage to mention but I completely agree with Lurcher here. If your mom doesn't change her ways it may be best to relocate your hamster to a safer environment where you would still be able to have regular visits.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. hamsterlover123

I will try my best to convince my mom as i would not like to give my hamster away but if it gets too bad i will gladly do it because i would put my hamsters well being first

Knighterist and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Thea_SRA27

Thea_SRA27 Thea

Hi, sorry I didn't reply!

I agree with the others, you should put your hamster first but it's definitely hard to completely let go. If she really doesn't listen, I think you will need to have your hamster live somewhere else, but I can imagine that being really hard.

Have you asked your mom why she thinks it's okay to do these things? If she says 'because it's only a hamster', ask her why it's different to doing it to a bigger animal, or even a human. Yes hamsters can swim, but they're not meant to as they can't for long and it's really bad for them, and they may well drown. If you tell her this and she doesn't listen, please remind her that times have changed since she was younger and there is far more information on hamsters, and while it may have been considered okay then to make your hamster swim it is seen as completely unacceptable now.

I'm really sorry, I know what it's like trying to convince someone of something and they just won't listen :(

Calvine likes this.
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I had hamsters when I was a child, so did my son, and it never occurred to either of us to get them to swim; in fact, if I'd seen my son putting one in water I'd have stopped him.
    @hamsterlover123: where do you keep the hamster - is he in the main part of the house, and if so could you move him to your bedroom where he can get some peace and quiet - and does she know that they are nocturnal and you really should leave them to sleep during much of the day?

Lurcherlad and Thea_SRA27 like this.
  12. Thea_SRA27

Thea_SRA27 Thea

I'm definitely not suggesting anyone would 'get' them to swim - there's no reason to, and you could have guessed it was wrong (which you did), I'm just saying there's more research now so it's seen as more unacceptable.
    That's very true, if the hamster isn't in your bedroom it's definitely better to keep them in there if possible.

13. hamsterlover123

She is in my room. It is low traffic but my
    Mom is doing college in there too. I asked her to maybe move. She is not to college there to my surprise. It has gotten better...

14. hamsterlover123

Sorry typo it is that she is not doing college in their anymore

15. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Can you tell her that you want to take full responsibility for your hamster? Tell her it’s a learning experience

16. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

It would appear that your mother needs to be fully educated in the needs and requirements of animals.

Knighterist and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. hamsterlover123

Thank you for all your help guys! She actually has not woken her up. I do not do anything with it when she is there (feeding, water, free-roaming) so I do not draw attention to it. You guys are awesome thx so much!

Thea_SRA27 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice